Samsung Laptop / bad service

United States, New York, New York Review updated:
New York
I recently ordered a laptop (Actually 2 by accident) from adorama. When I made the first order the payment was
Declined as my bank thought it was unusual activity and called me. They said I had to re-order so I did.
So I contacted adorama by email as im in the uk. A few days later the sent the laptop out anyway, so two were sent exactly the same to the same person to the same address. You would think they might have read and actioned the email and clued on when two of the same were sent.

At first adorama admitted that they shouldn't have sent it out and did so in error. However this didn't stop them
From threatening to abandon the package if we didn't accept it and that we would be charged the import taxes anyway along with the shipping. Even though they were given plenty of notice to cancel the order!

Anyway, we didn't accept it as it would mean paying more to have it returned and $216 in taxes. So what did adorama do, they credited our account less the shipping costs, (Even though it was their error. However as it wasn't processed as a refund, my bank then charged me 30 pounds to convert the money from usd to gbp. But wait my experience with adorama did finish there...

We accepted the other laptop, this was a gift for my partner $1400, not cheap, the most we have ever paid for a laptop, only to realise that it was the wrong one. I don't know much about computers, bought this online, unseen.
Of course when it arrived we realised it didn't have a touch screen, which for that price you would expect it did.
This was a key feature for my partner, thats what he was after. I then contact adorama and requested a simple exchange, however they said if the item (Box) had been opened then they wouldn't accept it. Now we have a laptop we don't want that was a gift that went wrong.

Now I would like to highlight adorama put on the receipt that the have a 'no hassle return policy' and that they want to keep their customers happy. Clearly this is misleading and false. They don't have a no hassle policy, its a major hassle. My example of what happened, they should have accepted the exchange. All shops allow that.

Now I don't know what to do? Can any one help me? I bought this 30 days ago.
May 29, 2015

N  3rd of Jun, 2015 by
Thank you for your order from Adorama and for your feedback, Shandy, although I was so very sorry to hear about your negative experience. Please rest assured that this is the exception, and not the rule, here at Adorama Camera.
I'm unable to identify your order without more information, but if you'd like to contact me personally at Helen@adorama.com I can promise this will have my immediate attention
Please accept my apologies for your disappointment and inconvenience, and I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera
N  14th of Jun, 2015 by
I would like to say a big thank you to Helen at Adorama, my issue has been resolved, laptop returned & accepted.

I do feel the staff at Adorama need training on customer service, and that the standard email they send out threatening customers about not accepting packages needs to be amended, as a minimum, so its accurate. Import taxes are not charged if the package is not accepted and is returned to vendor. This is the case for Canada & UK, perhaps not the case in other countries and that is why they have it. Perhaps this is meant to be a scare tactic so you will accept the package? I don't know. They also say they can abandon the package. Again, far from trying to resolve the issue. Not a great standard email.

Thank you again Helen, You were very prompt in helping and responding on this board. Brilliant service. Perhaps Helen, you can assist other staff and show them how its done. Due to Helens efforts I will use them again, though i will be extra careful when ordering in future that i have ordered the right item.
N  26th of Jun, 2015 by
Hi Carrie

Thank you so much for following up on your feedback; we do care tremendously about your experience with our products and our customer service. We take great pride and work very hard on delivering you the ULTIMATE in quality and service.

I am so pleased to hear you were taken care of, although I regret deeply that it caused you such frustration, initially.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions or needs. I am here to help and to make sure that all your experiences with Adorama are reliable and rewarding.

Thank you and take care.

Best wishes,