Roomster.net aka Roomster Corp. / this company is blatantly ripping people off!

Roomster.net aka Roomster Corp. - New York. This internet based company sells a roommate service. They offered me a 4 day pass for 5.95. However, they neglect to inform you that you are really signing up for a monthly service and they begin charging 29.95 immediately without notice. I attempted to cancel the service as soon as I noticed the unauthorized charge. The phone is a recording and the recording advises you to contact them via email only. When you email the company you get an auto response that denies the request for credit. I checked with the BBB and they have a total of 45/45 complaints unanswered for payment overcharging. This company is blatantly ripping people off and refuses to answer the consumer complaints.

Comments

• Gi
      12th of Sep, 2007

They did the exact same thing to me as they did to the person originating this complaint. I have contacted the bank to dispute the transaction, hopefully they can get my money back.

15th of Sep, 2007

I disagree with this complaint. The site list the renewal policy right on the credit card page...I looked! They also allow you to cancel your billing at any time, and your account will not be renewed. Roomster worked for me, and I was able to cancel my billing no problem. I've used roomster for 3 years off and on without any problems. I highly recommend the site.

• Hy
      15th of Sep, 2007

Roomster.net should create a check box for renewal policy so no one can miss it, which authorizes roomster.net to renew billing only when the box is checked. Otherwise, SOMEONE IS GOING TO MISS IT (and I did) and roomster.net CANNOT avoid being blamed for ripping (at least some) people off. I never have imagined that I would actually get in this situation in AMERICA since in South Korea - where I spent my childhood - this kind of ripping off is punishable by law; and appearantly it is not a case in AMERICA. This is a disappointing fact to know. I thought you guys had better law system, but again, appearantly, it is not true.

I highly do not recommend this site.

• Fr
      7th of Dec, 2007

I SIGNED UP FOR $14,00 , NOW AMERICAN EXPRESS WILL NOT STOP CHARGING ME $29.95 EVERY MONTH. MY ROOSTER BILL IS OVER $125.00

• St
      19th of Aug, 2008

This website has been very well designed so that it is easy to miss the fact that you are going charged after the three first free days. They have also looked at it legally so that if you missed that you were about to be charged you can't get the money back for a service you haven't even used! The suggestion to opt-in to be paid to use their service from Hyun Choi is very good. However, this is not something that they are going to implement. They want to remain unclear, they want the payment to be automatic when you register for the free service. This is how they make their money. Their are a lot of complaints on the net about roomster.com that they are fully aware of. If they wanted to be honest, they would have already set-up a system so that you can tick OK to be paid if you continue to use the service.
    All of the other websites to which I had subscribed to look for a place to rent were free and offered a much better service! I would suggest that you refrain from using romster.com. There are plenty of other good website offering you free listings such as www.rommate.com. Good luck on your search!

• Dr
      3rd of Nov, 2008

I also agree with this comment. I have been ripped off by "Roomster "
    I cancelled my membership, but made the mistake ( after receiving an email from them that I had mail ) of logging in and signed up for a 3 day subscription at $5.95 in order to be able to read and answer my mail from so called potential renters. Never did hear from them !!!
    Apparently in doing this I automatically renewed my membership. "Roomster " has fraudulently robbed me of over $100. As a Senior, I really can not afford this loss.
    I would advise every one to stay away from this site. Furthermore, any one having positive comments regarding the company I would ask, "What made you look up this complaint site to begin with, if you only had positive views regarding "Roomster " Makes me wonder if perhaps you could be a member of the company itself ? "

• Ra
      3rd of Mar, 2009

roomsters STOLE over $1000 from me that I cannot get back. I signed up for a 3 day pass for $5.95 and they charged me 29.95 everyday until I finally had to take all the money out of my account. I was on vacation so I didnt think to check my bank statement. If I could find someone from this company to sue I would. And yes it IS a scam. Did you have $1000 stolen from you? DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!

• Nb

445 PARK AVE FL 9

New York, New York 10022

USA

Phone: (646) 862-2841

Website: No information provided.
    Classification:

20th of Jul, 2011

NYS Department of State

Division of Corporations

Entity Information

The information contained in this database is current through July 19, 2011.
    Selected Entity Name: ROOMSTER CORP.
    Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: ROOMSTER CORP.
    Initial DOS Filing Date: SEPTEMBER 29, 2003
    County: NEW YORK
    Jurisdiction: NEW YORK
    Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION
    Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
    ROOMSTER CORP.
    275 CENTRAL PARK WEST
    NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10024
    Registered Agent

• Mr
      8th of Jul, 2012

Here are the ###' profiles. Send them some hate mail or something.

• Ka
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Roomster - Deactivation
    Dallas
    Georgia

I deactivated and deleted my account about eight months ago and rooster has still been charging me this entire time up until this day. I need this removed ASAP!

• Us
      15th of Aug, 2018
    Roomster - Fraudulent listings

Roomster continues to allow a scammer to use my address and photos of my property to scam other users. I've tried to contact Roomster to alert them of this scam, but they don't care. Beware -- Roomster is full of fraudulent listings and scammers.

• A1
    Roomster - Ads on Craigslist

Looking for a room to rent. I get sent links to sign up on Roomster.com. That's not an option because I know Roomster.com is a scam. It's so frustrating. Why does Craigslist allow this?

• Br
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Roomster - money drawn out of my account
    Toronto
    Ontario
    Canada
    roomster.com

money was down out of my account and was curious if my rooster account the money went to or if it was a automatic withdraw that I don't know about my first time signing up for the rooster been using it for a couple of months so curious if its auto draw that I didn't give consent to

• Ku
    Roomster - Charging after unsubscribing
    Osborne Park
    Western Australia
    Australia

I have downloaded roomster I am using full membership. Before I could unsubscribe from the app I accidentally deleted my account. I tried to login but it couldn't find my account. I deleted the app but I still get charged for something I am not using. I unsuscribe from iTunes but I still get charged.

Roomster - Fakeassroomster
    New York
    New York

Keep taking money and hiding behind fake contact information the right people will find you and prosecute your lieing asses

• Vi
      21st of Aug, 2018
    Roomster - Rental

I subscribed to roomster for 5 days. And at the end of subscription they charged me $25 without any reason. I activated the subscription on 05/14 and it ended on 05/18. I was charged additional amount which I was not supposed to pay. I desire for the refund of that amount as early as possible.

• Ni
      21st of Aug, 2018
    Roomster - Money
    Harlow
    England, East Anglia
    United Kingdom

I wish to have £10 credited to my account as I wasn't notified you would be taking it from my account every 30 days from my paypal account when I payed £1.00 to make my ad live no way or shape of from at time of paying to my make my ad live it was advised I was signed up to pay £10 every 30 days I want this resolved and my money back it's a con

• He
      29th of Aug, 2018
    Roomster - Someone is using my ID to scam others

Hello,
    I recently got notified someone is using my ID to scam others. I made the mistake of falling for the trap but didn't send them money. However, I did send my photo of my ID. My name is Helen O'Connell and it is a new York State license. I have since then deleted my account from roomster but now they are scamming others.

• Al
      1st of Sep, 2018
    Roomster - being delated when I have used your for over 2yrs off and on.

I would like for you to reactivate my account, I found someone on this but did not work out. i paid for several renewals, I have not posted, or did anything to be flagged.