Roomster.com / scam!!! beware

NY, United States Review updated:

I noticed that the complaints on this site re: roomster.com are old. But everything that is said about it is true. This site is a scam. I signed up for a 3 day trial for $5 but was charged $5 and $29s for the monthly renewal which i never ordered. It is unethical to charge someone's credit card for a subscription they never asked for. Plus, all the apartments i inquired seem sketchy: on two occasions, i was exchanging emails with the "roomsters" who had a share. When i responded, expressed my interest and asked for a time to meet i received no answer back. Their introduction emails all sound the same and all had expressed interest in renting out the apartment to me. Are the folks at roomster.com sending these emails with bogus shares??? So far, it seems to be the case. Shame on you.

Comments

• Pl
      19th of Apr, 2011
    Roomster.com - I didn't realize they would charge me a 2nd time, of which I will get nothing from
    roomster.com

I didn't realize they would charge me a 2nd time, of which I will get nothing from. They dupe you into buying shorter term access only to charge you for longer term when that expires. Definitely not up front about what is in the agreement.

Words that describe this company: dishonest, thieves, ripoff, shady, crooked.. yeah, that about sums it up.
    I hope this company folds.

• Ne
      19th of Apr, 2011

I STRONGLY AGREE! ROOMSTER.COM is definitely a big fraud and LIARS because i myself also had experience what you have right now, but i got a solution on how to get my money back. this number 888-740-5065 who helped me resolve it ( cancel it and refunded my money back to my account). I hope you take my suggestion to call that number, to help you also with your concern.The good thing about them is its free and they will really help you resolve your concern.

God Speed!

13th of Jan, 2017

@needTOavoidFRAUD Class action against roomster. ALL affected join and exact revenge

• He
      6th of May, 2011

They are an absolute scam (but then again, so is roommates.com). Because I knew this, I used a prepaid credit card for the 3 day trial. I contacted several matches, then I immediately canceled my subscription. They continue to attempt to charge me $29.95 over and over again. Of course the authorization is always declined. I find it comical but if this were my real credit card I would be furious!

• Pb
      30th of Jul, 2011

I didn't even sign up for this website? I checked my back account, I was charged 29.99 twice in one day, plus another two 5.99 charges but then I was refunded for all four transactions but today I was charged 5.99 for this service. I have never even heard of this website until I checked my bank account and saw the unauthorized and surprise charges! This is a horrible company and I am not sure how they got my bank info but that card is now cancelled!

• Bm
      1st of Aug, 2011

The exact same thing happened to me. I sure wish I did more research into Roomster.com before "trying" out their 3 day plan. I ordered the $5.95 - 3 day plan and was charged $29.95 right after the 3 day plan ended. I did not see anywhere that I was supposed to cancel the subscription once the 3 days were up. Looks like I'm going back to Craig's List where there's seems to be more integrity...

• Ro
      9th of Aug, 2011
    Roomster.com - roommate search
    Springfield
    Missouri

This a site for finding roommates, but no response from any until after my account expired. I'm not signing up again. there are free sites. I'm afraid that I'll be charge more $ so I keeping the verification numbers handy. I'll call visa next.

• Sh
      25th of Aug, 2011

I'm not disagreeing with any postings, and I reviewed them in order to take extra caution. I'm on the other end (property owner) and I'm renting a room in my house. I was uncomfortable t the fact that my account was reactivated and charged (correct amount) without any consultation or email from them when I logged in after 6 months (when I had a vacancy), and I sometimes send messages to folks who seem perfect, and was shocked that they never responded. But some have, so I think there was just something in my profile that didn't work (location, I'm single, etc.)... I will say that my ad is very specific, and I get loads of messges sent directly to me (not "blasts") that are nowhere near a match, and they often think the rent is way lower than on the posting-- I am wondering if something weird happens when prospective tenants click/respond? Some just clearly couldn't read, but others seemed very intelligent... otherwise, I have had good luck with the service...

• Gi
      29th of Sep, 2011

Everything above is true plus more. I have a 9 bedroom Loft and have to keep the rooms occupied. Penthouse is not cheap. Not once have I found a Flat mate on Roomster. They "Roomsteroid" person;s Spam CG List all the time trying to draw victims to their site. Not only do they send FAKE emails to Renters they send FAKE emails to Rentees looking for a room. They do this to encourage you to become a premium member. Name ought to be changed to Scamster.

• St
      6th of Oct, 2011

I could not agree more.
    Signed up for a 3-day trial - they charged me for 2 whole month in addition.
    One more thing is that the small size of the window were you can read the "terms of use" is so small that they make it hard to read.
    The website did not help at all ... I did not even get a single useful contact there.
    I talked to one person who I contacted on this website for seeing an apartment - we even made an appointment - but I never got the address - so probably all fake.

I can't believe it is possible to run a business having the concept of tricking people in the USA. In my home country this type of thing is impossible for me to imagine. But complaining here probably does not really help. Anyone who wants to go to the media with it? I just can't accept that these people earn money in such a mean way.

• Br
      9th of Nov, 2011
    Roomster.com - I just noticed that they charged my account and I also only signed up for the 3-day trial
    roomster.com

I also was scammed by this company. I just noticed that they charged my account and I also only signed up for the 3-day trial. I have informed them that I want my money back and I will go to every media outlet to do so and inform people of their shady ways!

• Or
      17th of Nov, 2011
    Roomster.com - This company is awful and deceiving
    roomster.com

This company is awful and deceiving. They say once you agree to their terms and conditions you are billed automatically every month. However when you sign up, they don't make you aware of this. Their are much better websites to use for finding a roommate. STAY AWAY FROM ROOMSTER!

• Ah
      2nd of Dec, 2011

Stefan_NY, I also am interested in making a media complaint about roomster scam. I foyu are interested respond to this post.

• Ah
      2nd of Dec, 2011

Let's all join forces and bring this practice to light using the media.

• Cv
      22nd of Feb, 2012
    Roomster.com - Took My Money!
    New York

They took money out of my account for services NOT RENDERED...I think they CALL THAT STEALING! My account is now overdrawn and I have no recourse to this problem. I have to cancel my card because they could continue to steal dor services NOT RENDERED! I will not quit exposing their theft until I get my money back!

• Fo
      16th of Mar, 2012
    Roomster.com - They are making unauthorized charges of $29.95 per month
    roomster.com

AVOID this site!!! I signed up fo a $14.95 one time use and they turned it tnto a recurring supscription of $29.95 per month. I did not catch it untl the second $29.95 charge.

• Bi
      19th of Mar, 2012
    Roomster.com - Will never go onto the site again
    roomster.com

Have to pay if you want to even read an email from another member. So I paid 3 days, just to find out that the "messages" I had received were of absolutely no information. I ended up being charged more after 3 days and I should not have had to pay the 3 days as it was. Will never go onto the site again. I recommend staying away.

• Bo
      6th of May, 2012
    Roomster.com - I signed up for free version and hopefully I won't be charged for anything
    roomster.com

I think the site is gone now. I signed up for free version and hopefully I won't be charged for anything :(

6th of May, 2012

Roomster is a scam not only because it uses fine print to charge people extra money, more importantly, it has fake shares! You sign up for a trial and they try to lure you into registering by having "fake" members sending you info about shares they supposedly have. Buyer BEWARE! You will find nothing on roomster. You will only waste your time corresponding with fakes who will disappear once you request to meet, ask for photos, or similar. I wonder if there is a way to report this site so it is investigated for fraud.

• Se
      29th of Jun, 2012

They got me too. Should have known better. Maybe if enough of us band together...

• Da
      29th of Jun, 2012

I receive mesage4rm my number dat my mobile numba hs receive 250.000 thousand pound that i should email my name&numba to [protected]@yahoo.co.uk to claim.how wul i do in order i wil get it in nigeria currency to my bank account.

• Ne
      6th of Jul, 2012
    Roomster.com - Slow & Rude Customer Service
    Nebraska
    roomster.com

I created an account on Roomster.com - everything was running smoothly or so I thought. Created my profile and listing of the room available—9 pages worth! Browsed profiles, sent messages, and was getting hits on people looking at my profile. The next day I went to log-in and it wouldn't let me, then said my account didn't exist—so I sent a message to customer service! Then created another account—all 9 pages of information. This time I received an email confirmation of my account.
    Now 2 days later their customer service finally responds saying I have an active account—well duh, I created a new account. So I respond back explain a 2nd account was created and asked what happened to the first one. I suggested validating the email address, as it was my assumption that the email address was incorrect. It's actually very common to validate email addresses since that's how the customer logs into their account. All I got back was and I quote "You're being really rude, and btw, I see that you did create two accounts." I'm being rude for trying to help them perfect their product so it doesn't happen to someone again? They should be thanking me for the suggestion (even if they don't use it).

• Ba
      21st of Aug, 2012

They are very shady. They post nonexistent roommate situations on Craigslist, with unrealistically low rent to lure you in. They only list their website link as contact info. Avoid this scam.

• Pi
      27th of Aug, 2012
    Roomster.com - Stay away form this site, unless you want to be ripped off
    roomster.com

I know a lot of people already said this but I'll say it just one more time, Stay away form this site, unless you want to be ripped off. If you already been a victim make sure you cancel your card so they can't take anymore money from u!

• Ai
      18th of Sep, 2012
    Roomster.com - Like everyone else they ripped me off
    roomster.com

Like everyone else they ripped me off, I plan to harass them tirelessly until I feel they've earned the 60 dollars they stole from me.

• Fu
      19th of Sep, 2012
    Roomster.com - Avoid dealing with this ppl
    roomster.com

THIS SITE IS A SCAM! I've reported them to my CC company, Pay Pal, BBB. Even contacted some of the unsuspecting folks out there.

How do we get them out of business?

• Be
      8th of Jan, 2013

I signed up for the free trial and I started getting emails from people who wanted to rent my apartment. But in order to see the emails I had to sign up for $29.95. Once I signed up the emails stopped and the people never responded. This sight is truly a scam. I listed my room on craiglist with no response. You have to beware of craiglist they have scammers on their who will contact you and ask you to send money before you see the room. DON'T SEND ANY CASH OR WIRE MONEY

• Av
      14th of Jan, 2013
    Roomster.com - Their customer service is even worse than their program
    roomster.com

I signed up for this website mistakenly, they charged more for their service than advertised, their database was defective and refused to update my location, there are dozens of ghost profiles, and their customer service is even worse than their program.

• La
      15th of Mar, 2013

I'm looking for a room and actually just tripped over this site. I'll have to learn more about it; I didn't know that payment was involved and assume it's only for those offering a space that pays. Anyway, I sent off a few emails to likely candidates and recieved no responses. It also appears to be the same ads all the time; nothing new since early February (when I found the site). Not much of a business model...

25th of Sep, 2014

Dear all brother roomster.com is not a spam. Because if roomster would become a spam then roomster.com never refund the customers money. But many of the customer got his money back. Roomster want to business in market.I love roomster.com.So I tell everyone roomster is great.
    Thanks.

• Sh
      26th of Sep, 2014
    Roomster.com - Awesome website for searching Roommates
    roomster.com

What a nice website this is! I just found a Room only for $450.00/month. It's really a beautiful room as I want. Roomster's service & quality is awesome. I am on there just a couple of days and I found a nice room so quickly. I appreciate the services of ROOMSTER.

• Fl
      27th of Sep, 2014
    Roomster.com - My Roommate is very Responsible!
    Roomster

Roomster is FANTASTIC!
    I found a roommate from this. My roommate is very responsible. I like her so much. Thank you so much ROOMSTER.

28th of Sep, 2014
    Roomster.com - Yes, I am also found a Roommate using Roomster!
    roomster.com

I appreciate the services of ROOMSTER. I have just found a Room from many of beautiful rooms on there. The customer representatives are very helpful of Roomster. It works for me, for all of this I want to give 5 Stars to Roomster.

• Ea
    Roomster.com - thanks roomster
    roomster
    Texas City
    Texas

In the last week I posted an ad in Roomster.com for renting my room. In yesterday someone rented this room. Rooster’s service & quality is awesome. What a fantastic website this is! So i think Roomster.com is best. Its customer service was great. Thanks roomster.com

• Pa
      28th of Sep, 2014
    Roomster.com - i rented this room easily
    roomster
    australia

I required a room in emergency then i visited Roomster.com and found a nice room. I rented this room easily. I found the site to be easy to use and straight forward. If you need Rooms you can go without any hesitation. I recommend this all time. So i think Roomster.com is a helpful site.

• Ke
      29th of Sep, 2014
    Roomster.com - Roomster charged $29.95 from my credit card but, I'm happy!
    roomster.com

I signed up on Roomster to find a Room near New York. Within 20 days I found a nice looking Room that I aspect. Roomster charged my credit card $29.95 but, I'm so happy with their service and I found a beautiful Room near New York that I want. Thanks Roomster.

• Ca
      2nd of Oct, 2014
    Roomster.com - I found a nice furnisher room
    ENCINO, CALIFORNIA

When I first went to Texas then I required a furnished room.I sign up Roomster.com and search and I saw many rooms .In those rooms I took my favourite room.So I can give 5 start to roomster.com.. I found the site to be easy to use and straight forward. If you need Rooms you can go without any hesitation.

• Sm
      2nd of Oct, 2014
    Roomster.com - Roomster was so great!
    roomster.com

I am so happy now cause, I got into my new room yesterday by searching within only 9 days. And I got this room only for Roomster. I went to search Roomster.com and typed in the search box budget and location then I got my room within 9 days only.
    Great service of ROOMSTER!

• Wi
      3rd of Oct, 2014
    Roomster.com - Its customer service was great
    roomster.com

Roomster.com is the best site for room renting because I rent my choiceable room with in 7 days only.For this reason I love Roomster.com.So I can say now to everyone that Roomster.com is a helpful site. Roomster’s service & quality is awesome.Its customer service was great. Thanks roomster.

3rd of Oct, 2014
    Roomster.com - and I totally wonder
    TUCKER, GEORGIA

I know about Roomster in few months ago.3 months ago I required a furnished room.But when I searched I saw many rooms and get one as I liked. And I still lived this room. So I can say that Roomster is best.Rooster’s service & quality is awesome.Its customer service was great.

• Te
      4th of Oct, 2014
    Roomster.com - This is perfect site
    EAST ELMHURST, NEW YORK
    NEW YORK
    Phone: 714-450-2147

In Roomster there are many rooms in EAST ELMHURST, NEW YORK.I take help from Roomster.com every time because its room’s qualities are best and peaceful also cheap rates per month.I found the site to be easy to use and straight forward.I recommend this all time. So i think Roomster.com is a helpful site.