[Resolved] Rooms To Go / appalling customer service and wrong product shipped

1 Sunrise FL, United States

My email to jeffrey seaman, ceo of rooms to go:

Dear mr. Seaman,

I am contacting you as a last ditch effort to resolve a problem I am having with a recent purchase from room to go. Unfortunately for me, none of the supervisors in your customer service department are interested in providing me with actual customer service. They just apologize and say there is nothing they can do. Of course, there is always something you can do— if you are willing to think outside the box and do whatever possible to rectify a problem that was a direct result of an error by rooms to go.

On june 20, 2015, I purchased a tempurpedic king mattress with the up foundation (So that the head can be hydraulically raised to a sitting position) in the amount of $4565.40, along with other pieces of furniture totaling $7531.24. The purchase was made at your sunrise, florida store. The items were to remain in their boxes because I would be moving to colorado shortly thereafter and did not want the items to be damaged in the move. When the items were delivered, I specifically asked the head delivery guy to tell me what was in each box, and further asked him if the hydraulic up foundation for the bed was included— to which he replied yes, it was in the box with the frame.

On tuesday, july 21st we arrived in colorado and assembled the bed, only to find that the foundation box springs were not for the upright foundation—they did not bend at the head, nor were the hydraulic base or controls for the base included. However, if you look at the attached photos of the two sku stickers on the box, they clearly indicate that the up foundation should have been in the box. Rtg mislabeled the box which contained the flat box springs.

I called customer service on july 22nd and the agent spoke with a supervisor, who said there was nothing they could do because rtg does not ship to colorado. I said I was aware of that, and that was why I made the purchase before we left in order to take advantage of the financing offer; however, because the error was on the part of rtg, they should rectify the situation by any means necessary. I did not spend $4200 on a flat bed that I do not want. I said I wanted to speak with the supervisor and was told he would call me back. Later that afternoon, I received a call from edwin, a supervisor. He said he was "trying" to help but there was nothing he could do, that I would have to take the foundation sent in error to the nearest warehouse (700 miles away in texas!!!) and exchange it for the correct up foundation. I told him that was ludicrous. He said it would be impossible for rtg to make the exchange and I told him nothing is impossible unless you are just unwilling to make it possible. Seriously!! Rtg screwed up and you want me to have to deal with the fallout? So I told edwin I wanted to speak with his supervisor and was advised that someone would call me the next day.

This morning, july 23rd, I received a call from mindy, edwin's supervisor (Tel: [protected]). She was rude and equally as unhelpful as edwin. She spewed the same story, that there was no way for rtg to bring me the correct foundation and pick up the wrong one. I told her there was a way— that rtg could contract a freight company in texas, have them pick up the right foundation at your warehouse, bring it to me in colorado, and take back the wrong item to the texas warehouse. I told her I knew that would cost rtg money but, again, that wasn't my problem. Rtg should correct the situation they caused by any means necessary to thank me for my business and, hopefully, any future business. But mindy is not one to think outside the box. She just said it wasn't possible and that I would have to make the exchange myself. Or, they could reduce the price I paid for the bed by $900+, which is the difference between the up foundation and the flat. This, to me, is not customer service. This is rtg taking the easy way out— crediting me for the difference while forcing me to keep a bed I don't want. This way, rtg washes their hands of any responsibility to the consumer. How can you dare to ask me to find a way to haul two box springs to texas— 700 miles away— and then bring back a 350 lb. Hydraulic base?? Why should I have to spend my time, money and aggravation to rectify an error made by rtg? On what planet do you consider this any level of acceptable customer service? I am appalled by the mere suggestion. I have spent almost $8000 with rtg and this is how you thank me? What do you teach your managers and how in the world can you be proud to head a company with people such as these? I understand company policies; however, when the company makes a giant mistake, they need to bend that policy in order to make the situation right and the customer whole. That is the definition of great customer service.

So I write to you in the hopes that at least you, as the head of your company, will value my business and get someone in your company to fix this right away. Yes, it will cost you money to hire a freight company to deliver the right foundation and return the wrong one. But, you will earn my goodwill and future business, as I had planned to purchase the rest of the bedroom set in the future. However, if you choose to let this go and not be held accountable for rtg's mistake, then I will have to tell everyone I know my story and implore them to avoid rtg like the plague, file a complaint with the better business bureau and tell my story on every social media platform known to man. I am that angry.

I hope to hear from you and that you, as head of rtg, will take responsibility for the company's error and correct the situation I find myself in, through no fault of my own.

Rooms To Go
Rooms To Go

Resolution statement

Rooms To Go Customer Care's Response, Jul 24, 2015

Wow Jeannette! This is appalling customer service! We are sincerely sorry to hear of your recent experience, and have taken the proper steps to ensure this does not happen again. As so we do have procedures in place to try and resolve these issues as quickly as possible. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to address our error. As discussed the correct foundation will be on it's way soon!

Je