Riverstone Residential Group / illegal business practices

I lived in one of the over 200, 000 properties managed by the Riverstone Residential Group. Riverstone is the flagship third-party management group for CAS Partners.
The below quote is an excerpt from a page on their website: www.riverstoneres.com/credit

"CAS Screening & Riverstone Receivables (CAS SRR) enables maximum profitability through its unique credit screening services, and ensures a high rate of recovery for Riverstone Residential Group's accounts receivable."

I am here to let the unsuspecting renter know how this huge corporation takes advantage of the "common man" - the "little people" tenants just like you and me. Tenants who move into Riverstone Residential managed properties. Incidentally, tenants will most likely not even know who Riverstone Residential Group is - not until the tenants receive THE LETTER. This letter arrives several weeks after tenants move out and will contain a list of phony charges including everything from mold removal, carpet replacement, painting, fixture replacement, appliance repair and replacement, carpet replacement, and so forth.

The Raleigh, NC property where I lived is over 20 years old. The apartment had leaky windows and drainage problems, among other things. The windows and the window ledges grew mold. While living there, I found it necessary to keep a spray bottle filled with a solution of Clorox and water. I frequently and repeatedly sprayed and wiped up mold. Complaints about mold were useless. In fact, I was treated as if the mold didn’t exist. The leasing office was dismissive and said, “Well, when you see window moisture soak it up.” Their maintenance people told me to spray with Clorox. Perhaps Riverstone’s Corporate Policy is to act as if mold doesn’t exist.

However, several weeks after I moved out, I received THE LETTER. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was being charged for mold removal (plus other things not yet described). While living there I took pictures of the ever-present mold. I took pictures of the mouse feces. I took pictures of the drainage problems. I took pictures of the nasty AC unit and the black mold on an interior two-by-four. I collected a library of pictures. All the windows leaked. These windows are not regular size; they are floor-to-ceiling and are attractive. When a tenant moves in, the windows are clean. But soon, these structures start growing fungus. So you investigate. You look deeper. You peer into the cracks and see black mold. You get a magnifying glass and inspect the painted ledges; and during this examination of the dips, nooks, crannies, and corners, black mold is found. You open the windows and inspect the seals, and you see mold and dirt. You wonder how dirt got up onto the window ledges that are a foot off the ground. Then you remember
“THE POND.” This “pond” is located immediately outside the apartment, inches away from the moldy windows. But, this “pond” only appears after a heavy rain or snow.

Next you inspect the kitchen herb window. Both rust and mold are growing in and around the ledges, corners, cracks, and screws. With your camera in hand, you take pictures and macro pictures (close ups). Somewhere in your mind, you know this issue could be unhealthy.

Reader, my complaints are extensive. It is a story I continue to write. My next chapter called, Mouse Feces in the Oven, Cabinets, and Drawers, is a roller-coaster ride of frustration and anger. My Clorox and water solution came in real handy.

Be warned. If you are moving into a property managed by Riverstone Residential Group, you can not be too careful. And really, you should look eleswhere.

Comments

Feb 24, 2010

May 06, 2010

My family of four (2 daughters age 3 and 5) have been living in an apartment owned by Riverstone Residential Group (Carmel House Apartments, Walnut Creek CA) and we've had a severe mold problem for a year and a half. We discovered during the winter of 2008 that the walls behind our daughter's headboards were thick with black mold. This is caused by the fact that there is no insulation in the external walls, so in the winter the inside of the external walls is very cold. When the warm interior air touches the cold wall, natural condensation occurs and the walls get wet (as does the carpet up to 12" away from the wall). If any furniture is within 12" of the wall, it restricts air movement and mold forms quickly. It doesn't matter if you leave the windows open, to "air out" the apartment. As long as the air inside is warm, it contains moisture that condenses on the walls.

We complained and they quickly came and cleaned up the mold (which was about 3 square feet, and thick, behind both daughter's headboards). We didn't have a chance to take pictures unfortunately. They promised to do something about it, but after a year and a half of false promises and inaction, the management sent us a letter saying that the "the problem with condensation on the windows" was normal and they weren't going to do anything about it. We were beyond frustrated by this blatant avoidance of the issue. We told them and contractors over and over again about the problem with condensation on the walls. We have 2 documented letters we sent to them, describing the problem, and specifically stating the problem is not the windows, but the walls. So we sent another letter explaining that they are ignoring the problem and just trying to avoid responsibility. A few months later we got a 60 day eviction notice. No stated reason. We will simply not be allowed to renew our lease (despite being model tenants with no complaints against us). Under normal circumstances that would be retaliatory eviction, but since our lease is up, they don't have to renew it and presumably are legally allowed to kick us out without any reason.

We know of 3 other neighbors (left, right, and above) who have had the exact same problem with mold brought on by condensation due to the lack of insulation in the walls. When I complained about being evicted they told me that they weren't evicting us, they were just concerned about our health and so that's why they won't renew the lease. At the same time, they told me that the contractors that investigated the problem said it would cost only $700 to fix the problem and blow in insulation, but "they weren't convinced that it would really solve the problem" so they didn't want to "set a precedent" (so they'll do nothing at all, even though they admitted there was a problem). They were "afraid of opening a can of worms", if they fixed our apartment, saying, "where would it end, we might have to fix others." Simultaneously they told me that it wasn't a problem with any other units (a lie). But if it wasn't a problem, then why would they worry about having to fix other units? And if they cared about our health as their "primary concern" then why don't they care about the the next tenants who will live in this same apartment after we leave?

It's all beyond absurd. They told me they would reconsider the eviction this past week, and my family waited anxiously, sick to our stomachs about the prospect of having to uproot the home we've made here the past 2 years, leave our friends and neighbors, move schools, look for another place to live that we can afford, etc. And after a week, they still hadn't given us word, despite my asking every day. So I called Sarah Fulk, the regional manager, and she said they had consulted with their lawyers and determined that they would not allow us to renew our lease. Evidently they know how weak the law is on tenants rights and figure it's cheaper to kick us out and face a lawsuit then to do the right thing.

I'm planning on contacting a lawyer, as well as circling a flyer to all the residents here explaining what the company is doing to us and how little they value the health and welfare of the tenants. And asking them to sign a petition to demand that they address the mold problem and insulate the walls. Also a second petition demanding that they allow us to renew our lease for as long as we are good tenants (we have no complaints, have a great relationship with the property manager and all our neighbors). I'm also going to tell our story to anyone who will listen, to discredit their name undermine their business wherever possible. I doubt it will have any effect, but what more can you do. It's unjust and evil.

Jul 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I along with our two kids a newborn and a 3 year old have been leaseing a Riverstone apartment for 4 months since we ve moved in there is visable mold. We did a mold test and found 1 of 3 spores has bad health problems linked to it. They are now trying to move us to another unit but acoreding to the people who have lived her longer then us there is mold everywhere they are just trying to cover it up.Reading thur our lease it tell us we have to clean it up ourselves but you not suppost to touch mold you ll breath in spores.We are in Denver, CO at the Blake and Allison if you read this do not move in at all

Jan 26, 2011

I recently had the displeasure of unsuspectingly moving into a gangster-riddled part of town owned by Riverstone Properties. The community was advertised as a gated community, yet had a gate that was not operational so it was left open and unsecured for convenience's sake I suppose. I travel often with my job and over the past 8 years have had NO problems securing short term housing via the internet. Well, never again. Upon my arrival this place was a disaster area. I'll tell ya, I've lived in a lot of places and tolerated a lot of unsavory situations for the sake of making my work assignments successful but this place took the cake. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a heavy cigarette smoke scent throughout as well as pet hair and human hair in the sinks. The carpets were dirty and the washer/dryer were rusty and unacceptable. A strong moldy scent was apparent and a ceiling leak had been discovered in the middle of our living room. Being optimistic, we tried to make the best of a bad situation, cleaned up and settled in. At 11:30pm that night we heard gunshots RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW. Not down the street or up the way...it was terrifying. We called 911 and police responded. The next day I went to talk with the management. I expressed that the place was a dump, the neighborhood was horrible and that we feared for our safety. Riverstone exercises policies that are not lenient nor sensitive to anyone's plight. They offered little in the way of remediating our concerns and treated us to the average corporate lingo that's made them so successful yet yielded no results. So potential RENTERS BEWARE!!! We broke our lease later that day, aware of the repercussions, and went onto find a safer, nicer place to live. We are still fighting this one and imagine it will end up in court. Listen, if we, as the small guy renter, is expected to live up to his end after signing a lease then isn't it fair to expect the same of a big time corporation in the delivery of an acceptable product. There are no acceptable excuses tolerated on our end. Why should we allow any leniency on their end. I don't want to hear excuses when I move into a place nor give a group like Riverstone anything like "reasonable time" to fix the problem. It should not have been overlooked in the first place. Period. Live up to your end and I'll live up to mine. Riverstone is all about the bottom dollar...not your comfort. And while this is a general rule of thumb in the corporate world, i highly suggest you take up residence with another group.

Oct 07, 2011

I agree and " i highly suggest you take up residence with another group." I recieved a huge bill $972.12 not including the interest generated after moved out, they sent me old file pictures accussed me damaged and dirty, I decide not to keep silent and will go to court.
    So potential RENTERS BEWARE!

Oct 07, 2011
    Best Best Advice

I agree "i highly suggest you take up residence with another group" I recieved a huge bill $972.12 not including the interest generated after moved out, they sent me old file pictures accussed me damaged and dirty, I decide not to keep silent and will go to court.
    So potential RENTERS BEWARE!

Jan 11, 2012

I, too, rented with Riverstone as the manager. They are a bunch of greedy, corporate sociopaths. Never again would I even consider doing business with such a corrupt, dishonest corporation.

• Jw
      Mar 01, 2012

I cannot agree more with you. I received THE LETTER and we were charged over $700 for things that were in fine condition but they replaced with no specific reason. The people at Riverstone Residential Group are unbelievable; in fact, I think they have a separate department and people who send you THE LETTER and call you with an extremely threatening and rude attitude. The lady I was talking to on the phone was so incredibly making me upset (it was obviously intentional) that I actually hung up in the middle of the conversation (that was the worst thing I could think of doing). I was threatened that if I don't pay the balance then we would face collections. I emailed to all of the executives at Riverstone Residential Group (over 12 people), but I didn't get a single email back. We filed a claim at a local small claims court, and as soon as we submitted the claim, they withdrew and cancel the outstanding balance. We didn't even have to go to court. They are professional at taking advantage of you, and that's all they are good at.

• Af
      Apr 20, 2012

Quick question...can they charge you for paint? Isnt that normal wear and tear and something they HAVE to do before someone can move in? I just received a bill from them for over 2k! Paint, and carpet replacing, and replacement of vinyl that was already stained when we moved in. They "lost" our move in report and cant do anything about it. I dont have copies because of a fallin out with my initital roommate who had it. I also signed two people off my lease and signed two new ones on in the summer last year and they "lost" that lease and only have the original with two people who were legally signed off. Does anybody know anything I could do?

• Ry
      May 06, 2012

My complaint has to do with RENT. We have lived in the same apartment for 6+ years and i cannot tell you all the threatening 3-day nasty eviction notices we have received for nonpayment of rent. WE always pay on the FIRST of the month - NEVER missed and yet today we received that NASTY, DEGRADING THREATENING LETTER AGAIN. We didnt opt to resign a lease because we are hoping to move into a larger place in a few months. So, naturally a month-to-month is a couple hundred more, which we were aware, and our CASHIERS CHECK was for the NEW higher amount which we got from the management since our utility bill hadnt arrived before rent due ---AS USUAL!! So when we got the E-notice on our door ON A SUNDAY, WHEN REGULAR OFFICE STAFF IS IN HIDING, we had NO ONE to complain to and IMMEDIATELY fix the problem. We must wait, blood pressure BOILING to talk to staff at THEIR convenience in the morning!!! We have our receipt, of course for the check, but no receipt from the office...still trusting after all these years. Never again. Maybe I will get their thumbprint ALSO EACH MONTH. GRRRRRRRRR!!

May 24, 2012

this same thing happend to me. after 2 months of moving out, i received a "letter" claiming i owed over $1000! stupidly i paided, got a letter saying that i fullfilled everything and then again, 2 months later i got another "letter"! i went thru some situations that lead to losing many important documents and those were included. they have now reported on my credit that i owe them money and cant get into an apt anywhere in seattle becasue of thses low lifes. i am a 22 yo that has tried to do it all right, paid theyre money, shut up, and truely did leave a clean unit originally and believe i shouldnt have to experience this. its causing issues in my relationship now becasue im unrentable to. does anyone have one of thses "letters" still that they could pssobly copy for me so i can have SOMETIHING to help prove my case. anything is appreciated.

Jun 12, 2012

Wow, people! I'm going through this right NOW!! I am infuriated and am unwilling to pay these charges. Does ANYONE have ANY advice on what our recorse is? Do we have a case if we submit this to small claims?? ALSO, an idea is that with all of these people and incidences, we have enough leverage to file a Class Action Lawsuit against this nasty corporation. Any advice??????!

Jun 13, 2012

Not sure why my post has all that mumbojumbo, I meant to say I'm...

• Su
      Jun 16, 2012

Riverstone bought the property I'm have been leasing at for 3 years. They raised my rent over $100 dollars in a year. So I gave notice and decided to move out. Well, Riverstone doesn't honor the "normal wear and tear" of apartments. I even had the leasing agent tell me the Idaho law required that the tenant pay for the carpet cleaning and deodorizing - it had to come out of my deposit. That is a lie. They billed me for 4 gallons of paint. I lived in a 700 sq. ft apartment - 4 gallons of paint would have painted that apartment 10 times. The carpet was poorly installed - it was coming apart at the door, beside the fireplace and by the bathroom. I had complained and asked for this to be fixed long before I moved out but they never fixed it. I also asked for the caulking in the tub to be replaced as it was all wrinkled and coming apart - they never fixed it either. What pissed me off the most was that they claimed they couldn't find my move in inspection. I noted the different shades of paint in the bathroom, the dings in the walls in the kitchen, the front of the bathroom cupboard where someone had used a can of spray paint to paint the cupboard and it had ran down the front. They kept referring to the place as "luxury". It's anything but. I suggest people start filing complaints with their Attorney Generals office. Also write to the fair housing board in your state. Write to your representatives, the local paper. Don't sit quietly and let these sharks steal your money. The sent my son a bill for $800 when he moved out of his apartment. They charged him for paint, labor, mileage to purchase the paint, carpet cleaning, deodorizing, sanitizing of the bathtub and shower (now what the hell is that??). His apartment was not dirty when he moved out, I had cleaned it for him. Riverstone is nothing but trouble. Stay as far away from them as possible. I've filed a complaint with the AG of Idaho and I've also written to our fair housing department and I'm not stopping there. I will keep complaining and keep writing letters until someone listens.

Jul 05, 2012

I am dealing with this myself. About 3 weeks after I moved into my new place, i got a bill from Riverstone saying that i owed them $600 for their having to replace the carpet. The representative I spoke with on the phone was very threatening and rude with me. At one point during the conversation, he said that if worst comes to worst they will "make me pay it." I then asked him, "can you elaborate on how you're going to "make me pay it" -- and further said "what, are you going to send your thugs after me?" After I said this, the representative said, "ok, now you're starting to piss me off, " and he hung up the phone on me. My question is this...what happens if i refuse to pay this fine? I even paid a $145 cleaning fee to the apt complex incase i wsnt able to thoroughly clean the unit myself. Of course he had no idea about this and acted like it never happened. It seems to me like they're just trying to go after people to see if they can get anyone to cough up money. Is there anyone here that refused to pay this "fine?" And if so, how did that all play out?

Jul 05, 2012

I filed to take them to small claims court today after receiving a $1, 300 bill that they refused to negotiate. They are disgusting in every way & I will let you know how it goes. They aren't legally able to do this & we are not responsible for paying their decisions to replace carpet, repaint, put new fixtures in, etc.

Jul 05, 2012

Thank you for your response KarliE...I am interested in hearing how that goes and I wish you luck. I was amazed to see how many complaints there are online concerning this property group. Something obviously isnt right with these people.

• Ti
      Jul 10, 2012

I got a $1300 bill earlier in the year for them having to replace the 2 year old carpet because it was "cheaper to replace than to repair". There were no stains, no tears, no burns, and the ONLY reason they had listed on the invoice was "severe dark fiber abrasion wear". It was cheap carpet and it turns darker in high traffic areas, which to me seems like it falls under the normal wear and tear clause. We had a lawyer send a letter disputting the claim, and they fired back saying that they actually billed us for the wrong unit and the wong amount, and that we actually owed only $600. Putting aside the fact that if we would have paid the claim right away we would have over paid by double, they still have a sketchy reason for billing us in the first place. Then a month ago they had a thug call up and try and bully our lawyer, saying things like he doesnt know the law and he wasn't looking after the best interest of his clients, despite the fact that this thug was not a lawyer herself. And after still refusing to pay, Riverstone sent the bill to collections, which then contacted us saying we owe over $600. We feel like we have a good case to take them to court, but frankly I'm just sick of the whole situation and am tempted to just pay and get this over with.

Jul 10, 2012

TiredOfTheB.S.: TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS!! They obviously respond to the legal challenge, and it's at least worth a try. You have $600 to either lose or keep and you are entitled to that money. This is what they do to everyone they think they can take advantage of, look how many complaints there are on just this sight alone--it's alarming. They charge people these fees in hopes people will just pay to get it over with, they have nothing to lose by just sending people bills that the people are by no means responsible for paying (other than their reputation, but it doesn't seem they care too much about that anyway). Don't give up, take them to small claims.

• Lm
      Jul 10, 2012

RRG also sells your data, real time, to Experian. All RRG communities partner with Experian to capture your monthly payment behavior. Not bad if you are a good resident...or is it? If your data is incorrect due to false charges or other out of the ordinary management by the office staff of Riverstone, it immediately shows up on your credit report. Riverstone Residential Group's screening system uses Experian based credit reports to approve or disapprove your rental at any community. Therefore, if you leave one apartment community under the circumstances described in this complaint, then your credit score already reflects this real time even while you try to go through the legal process of fighting with them. You will most likely be automatically declined to rent at another Riverstone managed property or have a hard time renting elsewhere, due to the real-time updates to your score, via Experian, which Riverstone uses to approve or decline your application.

• Lm
      Jul 10, 2012

The very best place to address this is with 1. the better business bureau 2. FaceBook 3. Twitter 4. anywhere else social etc. you can think of to leave a review. Scour the internet and use Google alerts to alert you to new information and/or complaints about Riverstone Residential Group then post and share to all of the social areas you can.

• Lu
      Jul 11, 2012

Can anyone suggest what I should do? We moved out end of June and we got billed for "carpet replacement". We lived in there for about 1 yr and the carpet was only 2 yrs old. We had no kids, pets, and don't smoke. The apt was left immaculate, and I meant it! The carpet was very clean, fully vacuumed. We received a bill for $300 for "carpet replacement due to permanent stains". We have photos to proof that the was never any stains. What should we do? This company sounds horrendous and what's the best way to fight it off?

• Th
      Jul 24, 2012

I have all of you beat. I gave 2 months written notice, never paid late not ever and the apt was in great condition when I left. I got 2 letters stating I owed for 2 months rent which was the agreement because I broke the lease minus my security deposit which was $1, 600. then I got a letter stating that revised it and now I owe over 10, 000. I have not decided what to do about this.

• Cr
      Aug 09, 2012

I friend of mine also have this situation with over billing, his lawyer sent them a letter where according to the Colorado law, they cant charge if there is regular wear and tear, only if negligence was the cause of any damage, of course they are trying to intimidate people who do not claim, they take advantage of that because students or regular people are not use to file complaints with layers therefore they get a good profit of this, my recommendation is take them to the court, because this complaint are taken seriously in court due to the amount of them, don't let them take advantage of you.

• Ro
      Aug 14, 2012

after having guns pulled on my wife and myself w
    e notified management right away things still not been taken care of it's been almost 2 weeks and those thugs are still here with no consequence. My wife will not even go to mail box and I work al day. All the management wants is money even though they do not respond to our reports of guns and the obvious safety concerns. Any suggestions on what
    to do???

• Ab
      Nov 05, 2012

File a complaint with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development / Multifamily Housing Clearinghouse. I have, and they have to investigate if more people complaint. Here is there address for the WA state office

WA Spokane Field Office
    [protected]
    Region X
    Seattle WA

Dec 15, 2012

I had a similar Experience. Do you know if there are any class action lawsuits against Riverstone residential? I am trying To find a way to fight back against that. They are trying to get me for over $500 for damages to the apartment. However, when I left the apartment I left it in pristine condition. Any information or help that you can give be greatly appreciated thank you.

• Ds
      Apr 08, 2013

I agree 100%.I am currently awaiting for my court date against the landlord davin ross who is an employee of riverstoneres management company. The apartment complex is in the heart of Hollywood California. The name of the complex is The Tower at Hollywood Hills. They refused to return my deposit and manipulated a phony moveoit statement charging me for carpet cleaning and repainting and also is trying to claim they had to patch and repair walls. They even tried to talk me into not cleaning my apartment. They obviously think I am stupid. MY ANSWER IS SIMPLE. I DID CLEAN MY APARTMENT EVEN MOPPED THE FLOORS. I took digital pictures and I am printing them along with all of the emails I received from the landlord(davin ross). To add to all of that. I am also printing out normal wear and tear according tothe internet. Rentlaws.com and NOLO.com I will be adding that iinformation for my file to take to court. These people need to be looked at closer. Anyone interested in a class action suite please let me know. [protected]@hotmail.com. My name is danny.

• Ds
      Apr 09, 2013

I am going through the same thing. I moved out leaving the apartment clean. Down to even mopping the wood floors. I did make sure to photograph the entire apartment before leaving. They are charging me around $450 for normal wear and tear. There was absolutely no damage and I do have pics to use in court. They made a mistake with me. If anyone is interested in a major lawsuit feel free to let me know. I know an attorney I can ask. I will only do it if it can be a federal lawsuit. I want these people to feel it. I want them to lose thousands of dollars. If not it may not be worth it. My email is [protected]@hotmail.com. The attorney would want a list of people who have legal documentation (proof)along with contact info. First I am going to small claims against them afterwards I may be fired up and ready for more.

• La
      Apr 30, 2013

We are currently renting a home in Cutler Bay, FL from Riverstone Residential. And our nightmare started the day we moved in, Feb 5 2013. We paid for the background checks, $200, for all the deposits (pet and security) plus first months rent, $5400. The first night in our new home I took a shower in the master bathroom. The shower seemed to be draining very slowly and the water pressure very weak. After my shower I was in the master bedroom getting dressed as all the water from the shower was seeping out of the walls, I investigated a little further to discover that the shower was also draining onto the floor of the guest bathroom. The next morning I called and sent an email to Riverstone, was told it would be fixed immediately or they would pay to move us to another property if the problem could not be fixed. Next I tried to do a load of laundry, once again I had flood on my hands, the washer drains onto the floor, flooding the laundry room and the living room. My husband and I decided to go through the house and look for other issues before we called back to complain again. We realized we had no smoke detectors, the outlets in the kitchen do not work, the outlets outside do not work, the pool pump did not work, we had cracked windows, no heat, and no hot water going to the washer, and the final straw was when I took out the laundry for the washer and got an electrical shock. (I have a heart condition, not a good combo) I once again called Riverstone. Over the next 3 months we have had a total of 12 different people in our home taking pictures and promising to fix all the problems. I now have a huge hole where my master shower was, they came and tore it out but never came back to complete the work, fixed one pool pump and not the other, the washer now drains but I have to unplug it to remove clothes, the cracked window is fixed and outlets are fixed. Also they hung smoke detectors. I have called and called and emailed and emailed. We now have mold on all the floor boards in the master and guest bath and in the living room form the flooding. After my last call and email to them they sent out the property manager to serve us with eviction papers, for failure to pay rent. We have a meeting with our attorney today, according to state law we can withhold rent if the landlord has not fulfilled their responsibilities or if the dwelling does not have heat or if there are hazards within the dwelling. My 15 month old son has a horrible cough and I think it maybe related to the mold and dust from the shower being removed and finished. DO NOT RENT FORM THESE PEOPLE!!!

May 22, 2013

Im all for Class Action!!!

• Be
      Jul 16, 2013

I lives in one Riverstone Apartments in Phoenix, AZ, Paradise Falls apartment. It was everything but paradise. The first day I moved in there was roaches, then notice the mold and mildew after a few weeks. Then I learn the apartment had been flood before due to lack of plumbing maintenance. After my lease was up did a 6 month but then a few weeks later ask if I can go month to month. They said, "no" even though it would benefit them for $50 extra month, which still would have been at the end of the lease until my son finish his semester. Moved out with proper notice, asked the leasing office lady (this person changed more than once), if I owe any fees, if moved out before June 1st. She said, that I was OK, always paid my rent and was on-time or early. Then a few weeks later, I get a letter for reletting fees and prorated rent for $800. I told the guy, "no" I am not paying for other previous tenants who leave, do not give the required notice and did not give a forwarding address. I noticed the day I moved several other tenants in my building and other buildings were moving out at the end of May. Now I believe from 18 months of mold, mildew and anything else which I could not see in the apartment, is coming surfacing throw with a phlegm. I will fight, it is $800 but is it the principle, they are shady and are taking advantage of the people who are honest. I agreed, DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Aug 21, 2013

This company is truly corrupt. Knowing an employee that works at a property, THE LETTER is not uncommon. This employee moved into a smaller unit and got hit with a $1000 bill for carpet, cleaning, etc. Then the company, not valuing the employee told him if he did not pay it, that he would lose his job with them. Nevermind the fact that he had just had a new baby and was trying to start his family. Furthermore, the apartment was not left dirtier than when he moved in. Mold is common, and they DO ignore any complaints about it. Management even went as far as lying about the problem even though the employee said that there was one. And that is just the TIP of the iceberg. Nevermind, the swimming pools having issues, the downed units that were restored that were completely eaten up with mold, etc. The management is notorious for lying directly to your face. Please by all means, stay away from Riverstone Residential Group. After hearing about this employee being extorted it breaks my heart, and to read all the negative reviews is just confirmation to KEEP AWAY!

• Jm
      Sep 22, 2013

I have lived at The Tower at Hollywood Hills for about a year and have loved living here, except for one glaring issue- the building manager Davin Ross who is on a small man's complex power trip. We have been dealing with a horrendous situation over the last several weeks, culminating in his refusing to renew our lease (after I already have confirmation he would via an email earlier this week) which is illegal. He has also committed a slew of illegal acts in an attempt to bully us, all of which are illegal under California Fair Housing Act. Even more disgusting in the fact that this situation stems from his own vindictive retaliation towards myself, because I would not tolerate his consistently rude and inappropriate behavior. Not only is he rude to myself, he is rude and inappropriate to girlfriends who have come to visit (yet never guy friends - interesting), and when I approached him to discuss his unwarranted and disrespectful behavior, he acted as to be expected, and basically waged a war in bullying me out of the building. From what I understand, from other Riverstone Management employees, tenant issues with Davin and his disgusting behavior are actually quite common place. Oh, and to give a little additional background to my time living in this building - my roommate DIED in my apartment and I discovered the body. Davin is fully aware of this, and yet still continues to act out his small man complex at every chance he gets. He is a pitiful human being.

• Bo
      Nov 10, 2013

Pennsylvania- Housing discrimination complaint has been filed today accusing one Radnor, Pennsylvania-area landlords with violating the Fair Housing Act for allegedly refusing to allow a disabled veteran confined to a wheelchair suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder to purchase a home on the mainline. In addition, false filings of failure to pay rent has been filed in Delaware County Court was filed by landlord, Brian Gordon, who manages the property on King of Prussia Road, in Radnor, Pa., retaliated against the veteran by threatening to evict him because he is disabled and made anger statements to New Jersey dispatch.
    The Fair Housing Act makes it unlawful to refuse to grant persons with disabilities reasonable accommodations, such as changes to rules, policies or practices that allow them to fully enjoy their home. The Fair Housing Act also prohibits coercing, intimidating, threatening, or interfering with a person for having exercised their fair housing rights.
    "Every day, the men and women of our armed services risk their lives to defend our freedom, " said, VA Caregiver for the Veteran. "It's our duty to ensure that our service members, as well as everyone who calls America home, have access to safe and affordable housing, free from discrimination.
    In his complain, the resident alleged that Brian Gordn failed honor a lease purchase agreement. When t denied purchase of the property Brian Gordan filed for eviction in Delaware County District Court with false claims of failure to pay rent. Confined to a wheelchair, post-traumatic stress, depression and seizures does not begin to describe this Vetrans injuries sustained while serving in the United States Marine Corps. Although Brian Gordan acknowledged that he had a lease purchase agreement with the Veteran he feels because he is also the Town Commissioner the law does not apply to him. The landlords denied the tenant time to find adequate housing and filed to evict one day after Veterans Day. In the complaint of discrimination also asserts that the landlords told the tenant that he would need to start looking for another place to live because he had filed a housing discrimination complaint.

• Ap
      Apr 30, 2014
    Riverstone Residential Group - Billing / past due notice
    Sanford

125.00 LATE FEE - RUDE LIARS IS WHAT THIS COMPANY IS MADE OF

My first contact with this company was a letter also known by other people who have dealt with this company as "THE LETTER" we rented a house through Invitation Homes in North Orlando Florida, they were a pleasure to deal with but they use Riverstone Residential Group as their lease company. Our situation was as follows - I had to relocate for work 2 months after resigning our lease causing us to break our lease and forfeit our deposit and that is understandable. Our move out date was on the 7th as was our final walk-through which we had been told that our final payment could be made on that date after our walk-through was finished and any additional monies owed if anything was owed would be due when they sent us a final bill for additional charges for not cleaning the apartment or damages of which there were none. When our walk-through was complete I asked their representative was we owed because we had to pay the prorated amount of seven days and we were told we could pay her, she did not have a total and said that the total would be sent to us on the final bill. END OF STORY, so I thought. A few weeks later we received "THE LETTER" stating no additional charges for damages or anything related to the home, we lost our deposit due to breaking the lease, fine, our prorated amount as we expected and an additional charge or $125.00 for a late fee because we had not paid by the 5th of the month.

My beef with the company is that I never had a late payment for my entire residence with them and when it came time to make my final payment I was told to wait for the final bill and when that final bill came they charged me a late fee. When I called about this I spoke with a representative with RRG who extremely rude (seems to be a common theme) who said it was not their responsibility to make sure I paid by the due date and that a late fee can't be undone because of the fair housing act or something along those lines and I signed the lease stating I was aware that a late fee would be assessed if payment was not made. I would have gladly paid on time if I was not informed that payment was not due until the final bill was sent to me, it is my understanding at that point that my normal due date does not apply, and I think it is fair to say that I was lied to or at least not given the correct information. Had they said you can wait for a final bill but there will be a late fee I would have paid.

Because my charge was only $125.00 I don't care to take this any further my advice to anyone considering moving to a RRG property is DON"T as so many others have stated. You could write a trilogy of books about the complaints this company has received - that's all.

• Gy
      Jul 31, 2014

Wow me too why do I have to write all that when I can just say DITO, , , , , , ,

Dec 04, 2014

I have lived in my community for 3 years and they took the drop box away so you can only pay rent when they are open with a check. However they are open the hours I have to work so I have to be late in the morning I have to pay my rent. However this time I went in and there was one person in the office and 3 people waiting. The office person refused to take my rent because she was helping someone else who was argueing about charges on lease. I tried several times to get her to take the rent which was in a clearly marked envelope as to what It was. she insisted she would get in trouble if she didn't mark it off her list. I explained I needed to get to work and couldn't wait. she told me I had to wait and that she could not take the rent. I had to get to work and I called corporate which I am sure will mean nothing. but this should not be a difficult process to be organized and take peoples rent and check it off the list later. WTF?????Get organized.

Jan 29, 2015

When I toured this Holly Street Village Apartments in Pasadena. It is owned by Riverstone Residential Group. I asked the leasing agent Jessica Spencer did this place have roaches as I was reading on line about other apartments in area that had roaches. She assured me it did not. I have had a roach jump out of my cabinet almost on my head! I saw a roach on my counter and I just killed a roach in my sink. I own a beautiful house in San Diego and I rented this apartment to be closer to my job, I do not want to take roaches to my home. This is unacceptable. I am an extremely clean person and I have had so called exterminators in my apartment twice. I am not the cause of the problem and you need to find the source. I paid too much money for rent and security fees plus water, trash and sewage and I am dealing with ROACHES! This is not acceptable and the Manager will not even speak to me. I keep having to go through leasing agents. I am an Executive Director for the largest Assisted Living Company in the United States and there is no way I could get away with treating my resident's and their families this way. I will be going to social media, the corporate office and any means necessary to get this information out. I will not live in a filthy environment with ROACHES! this is appalling! I want out of this lease and I want my money back! I will pay a lawyer because yes I am just that upset. This is REDICULOUS

• Ku
      Apr 20, 2016

Strongly agree with all the others here. I had impeccable credit history until I moved out of my apartment which I had a 2 year, never late payment lease. Once I moved out I was aggressively pursued by a collection agency out of the blue, after having done a complete walk through and my credit was immediately dinged for charges I owed.

These charges were completely made up and ultimately dropped once we had a lawyer send them a letter.