RIU Hotels & Resorts / customer service

1 New York, NY, United States

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please can I raise a complaint against your New York hotels customer service.

I have a soya food allergy where I can not eat anything that is cooked with or made with soya or I will be extremely unwell. I booked your hotel due to it having breakfast included and expected for the standard and price of your hotel to have a reasonable selection of food suitable for my dietary requirement.

This morning is the first breakfast on a three night stay and after asking one of your catering team if they had allergy menu (which they don't) I then had to wait a extended period of time while he went to the kitchen. 20+ mins later I was politely advised I can only eat fruit and hard boiled eggs. Due to all bread products having soya and all cooked items having soya oil. There was nothing else the catering staff could offer and I was by now feeling embarrassed due to standing in the food area with both staff and fellow guests looking at me and by the end of breakfast my wife was in tears. Less than the pleasant dinning experience I was expecting from a hotel of your companies reputation.

Due to this disappointment post breakfast (though I virtually ate nothing) I attended the front desk asking for the value of the breakfast for the next two days to be refunded to allow me to go to a different hotel or restaurant that has a more customer friendly allergy menu. The staff member was unable to help with this request and spoke with her manger a Mr Diego Alonso and came back stating a refund on breakfast is not possible and there was no other options. Though she was sorry I was unable to eat your food without becoming ill. Disappointed with this response I asked to speak with the manager to see if there was another solution, hoping there might be arrangement with a local restaurant or linked hotel chain.. etc. Mr Alonso although visible declined to come and speak to me in person, although politely phrased by the staff member; I was told there was nothing your hotel chain can or would do.

Although I am a first time guest at your chain I wished to bring this very disappointing experience on poor customer service and non allergy supportive food choices to you attention and give you the opportunity to improve what will currently be a less than positive experience at you hotel.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully