RIU Hotels & Resorts / we will now become your 'nightmare'!

Riu hotels & resorts - www.riu.com

Attn: ms. monica serrano

Riu palace resort

Luis riu, president and ceo

Carmen riu and luis riu, jr.

Riu palace resort

Cc: leonel fernandez reyna felicio jimenez jeff, duty officer

President minister of tourism american embassy

Dominican republic dominican republic dominican republic

New york times new york daily news new york post

Travel editor travel editor travel editor

Dear ms. serrano:

We are writing this letter to you with a copy to all of the above regarding the deplorable experience we had at riu palace macao resort, punta cana, dominican republic and the unprofessional behavior of the staff at the resort and the authorities in your country.

My husband, who was born and is a citizen of the dominican republic and whose family still resides there, and I decided to renew our wedding vows for our 25th wedding anniversary at the riu palace macao on october 8th 2007. (we arrived on october 5, 2007.) we reserved rooms for our guests who were traveling with us from the united states and over 60 people were attending the ceremony and reception to help us celebrate our special day. all reservations and plans for our wedding and reception were confirmed many months in advance. before we go into what happened on october 8, 2007, let me tell you what transpired from the first day of our stay.

Our guests, robert dobles, his wife sylvia and their daughter laura were staying in room #3336. their cell phone and ipod were stolen from their room. our niece, priscilla arias was staying in room #3338 and while she was bathing she heard someone trying to open the balcony doors, thinking it was her sister trying to get in she went to look, it was not her sister, it was someone trying to break into her room. she startled him since he probably thought the room was empty and he ran and climbed to the roof. she went to get my husband and our friends who tried to find him but were unable to. both of these instances were reported to sub-director, franklin trinidad when we were finally able to locate him many hours later. he was very nonchalantabout both these incidents and his response was that there was a safe in the rooms for valuables and that he was already working 'two hours over his usual work time'. he did not feel it was necessary to address the incident with our 19-year-old niece who could have been badly hurt or worse if she was attacked. safety of your guests does not seem to be an important matter to your hotel if mr. trinidad is your representative. while we were speaking to mr. trinidad, we met two women who were staying in room #3317 who also had their cell phone stolen. mr. trinidad shrugged his shoulders at their story and did not seem concerned. I guess robberies in your hotel are a normal occurrence. we inquired with the front desk if a police report was issued for the robbery and break-in and we were told that no police report gets issued only a 'resort report' will be issued. the two women in room #3317 reported the incident to their travel agent who contacted the resort and told the resort representative that they were not going to refer vacationers to riu palace macao unless the women's issue was resolved. the women were immediately compensated for their trouble. (priscilla arias had her room changed to #3357 after the attempted break-in)

We met with your so-called wedding planner, magnolia on saturday, october 6, 2007, to confirm all aspects of our ceremony and reception on october 8, 2007, and to discuss alternate plans for our ceremony in case it rained. our 24-year-old daughter, my mother, cousin, our best man and his wife were also present when we discussed plans with magnolia. our main concern was the weather and what alternate plans were in place if it rained. magnolia stated repeatedly that 'it is not going to rain'. each time we asked her to tell us what the alternate plan was if it did rain she said, 'it is not going to rain'. no matter how many times we asked, she would not elaborate on any alternate plans if it rained. she told us that we were not to worry everything would be taken care of. needless to say, it rained, and her alternate plan was to put over 60 people in a small, dingy, moldy smelling room near the kitchen for our wedding ceremony and reception. this was done only after our guests, my husband and myself were allowed to sit in the rain until her alternate plan was in place. october 8, 2007 was supposed to be our special day. we were married 25 years ago by a justice of the peace and we wanted this day, 25 years later, to be special. well it was, it was 'especially horrible'.

We spent the entire morning of our ceremony waiting to speak to mr. trinidad. we went to the reception desk at 9:00 am on october 8th and when the front desk contacted mr. tinidad, he said he would be there in 20 minutes. he did not show up until 11:00 am and was not the least bit concerned or apologetic about keeping us waiting. as a matter of fact, he stated that he is not a 'robot' whatever that is supposed to mean. we have recorded proof of mr. tirnidad's condescending conversation. by this time, we were angry and upset and insisted upon speaking to mr. tinidad's superior. mr. miguel rodriguez who we were told was the 'director' finally spoke to us. we wanted to know what he was going to do about securing the safety of our guests and the guests of your hotel. he stated that 'there would be security on our floor and that we could put our valuables in the safe deposit boxes in the rooms'. this did not comfort us at all. the only time we saw security guards posted on the night of october 8th, and the police were still not contacted about the robberies and break-ins. my mother-in-law, alma arias a dominican citizen and resident, finally had to contact the local police and a report was made.

On friday, october 12, 2007, we 'bumped' into mr. trinidad and asked him how we could get a copy of the police report. he told me we had to go to the police station in person. we asked him to arrange transportation and make arrangements for us to speak to someone once we got to the police station. mr. trinidad made arrangements for us to speak to the person who was 'supposedly' in charge of the robbery. when we arrived at the police station the person we saw refused to give us his name. we explained what transpired at the hotel and that another one of our guests had a pair of $150.00 sneakers stolen from his room. he made a joke of this and told us, 'he had a pair of sneakers he could give him'. everything was a big joke to him. my husband was very angry and this 'person' taunted my husband by getting on his knees and begging my husband to hit him'. we have witnesses to what transpired at the police station and cannot believe the way we were treated. this person then told us we had to go to the 'tourist police station', we had to buy stamps and then come back to him. by this time, we had enough. we went back to the hotel and asked to speak to miguel rodriguez. while my husband was speaking to mr. rodriguez, I called the american embassy to relate what was going on and how threatened we all felt, how we were being 'taunted' by franklin trinidad and that we were all afraid to be alone at any time anywhere in your hotel. the american embassy representative told mr. rodriguez to keep mr. trinidad away from our group.

Also on a side note, on october 11, 2007 one of our guests julio negro room #3341, rented a quad with his son for a sight seeing tour. at 11:45 am on october 11, 2007, he passed the tourist police precinct and saw your director, franklin trinidad standing in front of the precinct with officers in uniform, drinking beer.

Needless to say, our 25th wedding anniversary, renewal of vows and our vacation along with our guest's vacation, were ruined. we were devastated and heartbroken. I needed to seek medical attention upon my return to the united states and now find myself under doctor's care due what we were put through. we spent what should have been one of the happiest times of our lives scared, embarrassed and humiliated. it was a nightmare. what we planned for months, was totally ruined by your unprofessional staff and government officials. we did not receive any satisfaction in any way from anyone associated with your hotel. no one said 'i'm sorry'. no one tried to help us in any way. you should all be ashamed of yourselves and your countrymen.

We promise you, we will not let this rest. we will now become your 'nightmare'.

Yours truly,

Virginia and julio arias

• Phillallen's Response, Oct 02, 2017

I will be putting riu on blast on all social media. The service, the hospitality, the disrespect these staff have for paying customers is unacceptable furthermore it is diabolical. We do not work hard to be disrespected by third world country peasants. The staff of riu have no manners no hospitality and this all stems from bad pay. There monthly and annual salaries are so disgusting the staff are forced to beg for tips for every little thing, steal customers personal possessions. Until riu staff or any other resort staff in these third world country's recieve a decent/fair pay us as tourist will always be victims of crime as these pheasants are led to believe we as tourist live on a island of gold where money is infinite. I have friends we connected friends who have millions of followers on social media my mission is to make sure riu ocho rios pay for spoiling me and my families first trip to Jamaica and I will not rest until they are exposed for the crI'm in also they really are. I promise you, you will never recieve such a service and lack of respect for human rights in any other country compared to Jamaica. What's more funny is the staff all work together misleading you with this fake positive greeting but they are just calculating what positions they see of yours are worth. NEVER in all my travels NEVER EVER have I witnessed the kind of service that me and my family have had to endure for 10 days in riu ocho rios. I will expose this company fully until these fraudulent members of staff are flushed out of the company and I am refundedicated for this diabolical nightmare called a restful tropical resort. I should of stuck with sandals. Look out on social media is am maKing it my nber one mission to get to the bottom of this.

Va

Comments

• Ro
      7th of Jun, 2008

I had the same experience and have written the following letter to them below i hope you have some joy any ideas who towrite to?

On the 31st of May 2008 we returned home to our hotel room number 3124 at Riu tikida dunas in morroco to find the door was unlocked and some of our possessions had been stolen. We checked that the door locked on leaving prior that morning and never expected for it to fail when we were out as we presumed that RIU hotels were of a certain quality and so were very upset this had occured. More importantly we now could not leave our room as the door was broken and would not lock! We immediately informed reception carrying what valuables we had left with us and a member of reception staff came with us to our room and two maintenance men appeared immediately and tried to get the lock working. After five minutes they said it was definitely broken and they couldnt get it working and we were told to leave it with them for an hour or so. Later our room door lock was working again. We informed the holiday representative and he documented the events as well. We insisted a record of us reporting the theft and lock malfunction was recorded in the log book at reception - which was done, and were very satisfied with the service we recieved, but heartbroken that we had lost our possesions, but hopefuly with the hotel having recorded the lock failure our insurance would compensate us to at least the monetary value of our goods. What happened next was so unprofessional and devious it has made me seek legal advice about how to proceed best. In short we presented the hotel reception with a simple paragraph saying please could they sign that the hotel lock had failed and we had reported the loss of possessions. The hotel rep had already signed the document and said "it wont be a problem at all" but the hotel said they couldnt do that as it would look bad. The rep then had a meeting with the hotel director, who then spent 15 minutes on the phone and then said there was no way the door failed and we were making it up and that there was no evidence, he refused to show us the log book that the reception staff had written in told us that no one was allowed to sign our paper for the insurance as it would be admiting the hotel was at fault (WHICH IT WAS) - this left us both cheated and robbed - literally!

This is devious, dishonest, intentional lying and filthy behaviour that unless you correct us is clearly indicative of RIU hotels and their management. My Lawyor has asked me to write to you first before taking more formal action as in the words of my lawyor "if such a letter of complaint is refused to be taken seriously it will set a precedent for your case that shows that Riu management is also dishonest and dont care about customer service or the laws that they must abide to" - i have also been advised to tell the travel company of your poor level of service and disgusting attitude to not admitting a fault that caused us great suffering for which you ultimately are responsible. Furthermore, the national program "watchdog" will be alerted and as i also have a number of friends who have had poor service from the exact same hotel and we will unite and embark on making sure that others know not to stay at Riu hotels in the future. In addition i and my partner will see in total at least 9000 patients this year and will certianly want to save the people we care about from wasting their time and money going to morroco or if your reply is absent your hotels as you cant be trusted and clearly by demonstration your costumer service. We hope this is not the case as by reading this you are now in a position to rectify this situation and prove a company of what you promise and what i paid for.

You lost your right to being treated ethically when you abused our rights and lied to our faces and ruined our holiday, indeed this was done INTENTIONALLY. We cannot blame you for a door failure but we can hold you repsonsible, but to deny it...speaks volumes itself.

In short - we payed for a service that included a room with a locking door - we didnt get that! Then we were charged at reception with hidden charges for phoning the insurance company! Because of the lock breaking we also not only paid for a service we didnt get - we got penilized by having our possessions and memories taken away, furthermore, by the authority of your hotel, denied the right for compensation by our insurance. THREE STAFF AND TWO PATRONS WITNESSED THE DOOR WAS BROKEN AND AFTER SIX VISITS WITH AN INTEPRETER TO THE POLICE A CRIME NUMBER HAS BEEN OBTAINED yet the director in his arrogance and weakness choise to deny us access to the log books and claimed it never happened.

To add insult to injury the safe key didnt work and reported this to reception and despite phoning reception almost every 3 hours consistently it was not fixed for two days! Imagine our worry as we slept with our wallets under our pillows hoping the room would not be broken into again.

A shocking service with additional abuse from the director of the hotel - who of all people should know and HAVE to act better. I certainly will be demanding a formal reply and compensation for our losses.

Please contact me in writing as soon as possible with what you feel is adequate compensation for the service we have paid for and the service we recieved and the losses we sustained.

Yours Faithfully

Robin Marshall

6th of Aug, 2008

can you tell me the address of the riu hotel customer care (complaints department) i have tried every where to find it many thanks sam brotherton

• Ka
      14th of Aug, 2008

Riu management must be terrible no matter the country. Here is my ordeal as written to--and ignored by--Riu management. If anyone has any advice or knows any further contacts please let me know. In addition to the complaints listed we have yet to receive our marriage license--three months later. Remind me again what I paid for...

6/10/08

Madam,

We recently visited and were married at the Riu Clubhotel Ocho Rios (5/18/08-5/24/08). We had 45 friends and family staying with us at the Riu for the occasion. When planning our destination wedding we had considered many resorts and were excited by what the Riu had to offer. We booked our trip, sent out our invitations, and began anticipating a lovely wedding with our loved ones. We, like many others, consulted Trip Advisor and found several complaints about the Riu Clubhotel Ocho Rios, but figured people can be picky and difficult to please and decided to take our chances; we figured wrong. We had several major concerns during our stay:

• First-- prior to our trip we had read on Trip Advisor that the wedding coordinator, Chandlyn Edwards, was poor with email correspondence. We also found this to be the case in the months leading up to our wedding but decided we would not take it personally and would wait to speak to her in person when we arrived for our stay at the Riu. We arrived Sunday 5/18/08 and were to be married at 11am on Wednesday 5/21/08. We were NEVER contacted by Chandlyn or anyone else from the wedding department. We called the front desk and later went there only to be repeatedly given her number to call. We were never able to get in touch with her ourselves and the Riu phones apparently do not allow for messages. On Tuesday 5/20/08 I had to literally wait for a wedding to end and chase after who I had hoped was the wedding coordinator; she ended up being another coordinator (Nakeisha) as Chandlyn was off that day. She looked surprised that I had not met with anyone about my wedding (being that it was the day before). I then had to run around the resort looking for my fiancé so that we could stop what we were doing to meet with her right away. He had rented jet skis and had to cut his time short so as to deal with others’ disorganization. As per the Ocho Rios ceremony information (booklet) we should have been contacted by her, the wedding coordinator, upon arrival.

• Second— after receiving our complimentary upgrade (room 1064) we were dismayed to find that the key cards did not work as expected—it took at least 10 or more attempts to open the door each and every time—sometimes not working at all. On EIGHT occasions we had to walk to the front desk to get new key cards. When this did not resolve the problem we were forced to take time from our vacation/honeymoon/friends and family to wait for maintenance at the room (this occurred THREE times). When my husband had enough of the key card nonsense he went to speak to the front desk manager (whomever was working during the midday on Monday 5/19/08) and was rudely received. The manager appeared annoyed that we continued to complain about the keys and was extremely unprofessional. It should not be asking too much to have working keys for a room for which you have paid.

• Third—we chose the Royal Wedding Package and in addition to what is stated above, were disappointed that for $995 the Royal “decorations” included what seems to be chairs alone. We had to pay extra money to have the gazebo decorated with flowers. I feel it was very petty to charge extra for simple floral decor.

• Fourth—as stated we arrived at the resort on Sunday and after three days in the room were surprised to find that the refrigerator still had not been restocked. At that point my husband had to call the front desk to have the refrigerator restocked. This was the only time that the refrigerator was stocked during that whole week. It was unpleasant to not have fresh water and refreshments available when needed.

• Finally—we and several of our guests found the air conditioning system to be very inadequate. It was not even successful in removing the humidity from the room and made it difficult to sleep at night. We have stayed in several other tropical resorts in rooms just as large and have never encountered any problems with inadequate air conditioning. The rooms were also horribly musty. Despite washing our clothes upon our returm home they still reek of the rooms.

These concerns make a future stay at a Riu very unlikely. We feel we contributed minimally fifty thousand dollars in revenue to your resort through our wedding party alone and expected that management would be highly willing to quickly rectify any issues or concerns during our stay. They absolutely did not and we would like to know how you will validate our concerns.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you have regarding this correspondence.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey and Karen Sisson

• Mo
      10th of Jul, 2009

Since people have complaints on the Riu, can someone give me a good legal contact? There is an issue where a family member of mine past away at 12:15 am and her boyfriend cashed her two remaining checks at 9:45 and the hotel will not be responsible and never checked the check casher's ID or verified information. I would like this issue to go to the top!

• Sh
      2nd of Nov, 2009

To Whom it May Concern:

I stayed at your hotel chain in Miami from 10/10-10/12 2009 in room 438. I was very disappointed in my stay. I have stayed with your resorts before and never had such a horrible experience. There are list of problems I encountered from my arrival to departure.

1) The floor was saturated with water. Later, it was explained to us, that there was leak on the fourth floor and were trying to fix the problem but have not fixed it completely.

2) We could not use the AC because it would condensate and drip adding more water to the already saturated floor

3) The TV did not work. We tried everything from switching outlets to turning it on manually. Then we realized it had to be a short in the power cord because nothing worked.

4) The room had a moldy, smoky odor.

5) The room I was put into was not the room I reserved. (Res# RNT07SRM, I have pictures of the room if you need them). The staff at the from desk (Jose Angel) seemed very annoyed that I even brought these things to his attention and offered to put us in a worse room (I didn't think it could get much worse, but it can) because there was nothing he could do.

6) Upon on checking in I was told that if I paid for the room up front, there would not be an additional hold of $100 on my card, so I used my debit card. Upon checking out the lady at the front desk told me that there was an additional hold on my card and she was not sure why I was told that.

If I did not pay for the room up front I would have left that night and found somewhere else to try and enjoy my vacation. Eventually I was told that there would be a room available for me by 8 am the following day, because there were some overnight checkouts. So, I waited and inquired. There was not a room available until 2 p.m. the following day. That was more than half my stay gone already. I did not want to ruin another family or couples vacation and waste the rest of mine switching rooms. I spent a grand total of 9 hrs. in that hotel because it was unbearable. I just came back from my vacation and everything else was wonderful but this was just a disturbing experience and an even worst beginning to my vacation.

I tried calling the reservation line and there was nothing they could do. I even spoke with the general manager (Joana Calatayud) and she referred me to this department, because there was nothing she could do. This hotel looked and felt like a ran down third rate hotel built in the 80's and you bought it out, slapped your name on it, and did not bother to upgrade the staff or rooms to your standards. I really felt that it was a waste of money and would like to speak with someone about this situation so that it could be rectified.

• Ri
      7th of Dec, 2009

I HATE THE RIU AS WELL! Here is the complaint I'm working on, but I too am looking for the appropriate place to send it... if anyone can shed some light on that, it would be greatly appreciated!

To the CEO/Owner of Riu Resorts:

My name is Melissa Riebel and I recently got married at the Riu Palace Mexico. During my stay there I was treated very poorly and unfairly and my wedding day was basically ruined. I know you may say some of the things I was very unhappy with are just Riu policy, but I can tell you I've stayed at other, less expensive resorts in Mexico and did NOT have to deal with the limitations presented to us at the Riu. First and foremost, I suggest you rethink and revise your policies. I also thought you needed to be made aware of the atrocious wedding staff at this resort so it can be corrected. I would hate for any other bride to have to go through what I went through.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could at least acknowledge the receipt of this email and assure me that you will increase the level of customer service you provide to your wedding guests in the future...

1. Ael Enciso was our wedding coordinator at the resort and was very reluctant to work with me on anything from the beginning. I had trouble dealing with her even before we got to Mexico. The people at the Front Desk could have done her job 100 times better than her.

2. The resort as a whole was simply unable to cater to our large group of 59 people. We were told only a few weeks before the wedding that groups of 27 or more people would have to eat dinner at the late seating which was at 8:45pm. This wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that we were going to spend $1300 extra dollars to rent out the disco for a reception. If we didn't eat dinner until 8:45, we wouldn't have had time to take advantage of the DJ/reception. Not to mention the fact that, if I had known all of this sooner, I could have backed out and picked another resort. But Ael refused to talk to me any sooner than 8 weeks before the wedding date... and now I guess I know why.

3. So... in still trying to solve the late dinner situation, Ael proceeded to tell me that if we spent another $700 we could rent out the restaurant and eat at 7pm, which at first, I thought solved everything. Then, we were told that all 59 people in our party would have to eat the same one dish that we chose for them. In a group of 60, its just about impossible to assume everyone will be able to eat either beef, chicken or fish. We were also told that if we wanted cocktails at the reception, it would cost an extra $9 per person (even though everyone had already paid for alcohol in their all-inclusive resort package). Between all the money we were spending on the Caprice package (the most expensive wedding package), the fact that we were bringing 60 people to their resort during an off season, and knowing that it was an all-inclusive resort, we really felt like they should have been able to work with us on some of these costs. I will admit however, after much kicking and screaming, we were awarded the choice of two entrees instead of just one. A small win.

4. When we met with Ael after arriving at the resort, she claimed she didn't know that two (out of the 59) of our guests were staying at a different resort... even though I'm positive I did tell her that when I sent my final list to her. She then proceeded to inform us that it would cost the two of them $65/person to attend the wedding festivities. WHAT??? Rob and I were livid. Yet again, with all of the money we were spending and all of the people we brought to that resort during an off season, they couldn't waive the $65 fee for two people? It wasn't even the amount of money they were asking us to pay, it was the principle that they were actually asking us to pay it. We had originally been told that the only stipulation was that 80% of our guests had to be staying at the Riu. We certainly exceeded that percentage and I think that one stipulation was more than enough for them to get their money's worth out of our group.

5. Thinking that this extra fee was the last of our mishaps with the Riu wedding team... we tried to be positive and look forward to our wedding day. Of course, tropical storm Ida decided she wanted to join us, so the wedding needed to be moved inside. Understanding that this was in no way the resort's fault, we just tried to stay positive when Ael told us the ceremony would need to be held in the resort's theater. She ensured me they would do everything in their power to make it a beautiful ceremony. Prior to this, several people in our group had actually witnessed a wedding in the resort's lobby the day before and said it was very nice, so we were optimistic. Already knowing how the theater was set up, I asked Ael if we could have our ceremony in the lobby instead like the other couple, to which she replied "Oh, those people paid a lot of extra money to have their ceremony in the lobby." REALLY? They paid more to have it in the LOBBY??? How come I didn't see that in the list of add-ons? How come that option was never even mentioned to me, I had to bring it up? And then when I did, suddenly there would be another expense? Why would it possibly cost more to have the service in the lobby versus the theater? It wasn't going to cost the resort any more. The service was only a half hour tops, so its not like we would have disturbed the area for very long. But honestly, I was just too exhausted to fight with her anymore at that point, so I just gave in, thinking the theater might be better than I was imagining.

6. But no, the theater was atrocious. All they did was add an arch and, other than that, it was just the theater. I walked down an aisle formed out of pink velvet theater chairs!!! An aisle so thin that my father and I could barely fit down it. My dress kept hitting those horrible velvet chairs to the point where we almost fell over. My photos are hideous because I was surrounded by a sea of pink velvet chairs, lace curtains, horrible pink patterned carpet and ceiling fans!! We actually downgraded our photo package after-the-fact because there were only a handful that were actually any good.

7. Not to mention we didn't hear a word from Ael or anyone else on the wedding staff the second after the ceremony started. No one checked in to see if everything went ok. No one tried to contact us to follow up and see if we were happy with the ceremony or if there was anything else they could do to help. I was simply appalled at the lack of customer service we received the entire time we were dealing with the resort. It was just awful. But I guess I know why no one followed up with us... I don't think anyone would have been happy with the way they treated us.

8. Oh, but we're not done. Outside of just the wedding issues we had, we were also unable to make reservations at any of the specialty restaurants, except for the Brazilian steakhouse. For as large as the resort is, only 2 of the 4 specialty restaurants are open every night (again, showing they are unable, or just unwilling, to cater to the large amount of people who were staying there, even in an off month). And I'd be surprised if each restaurant had more than 50 seats. And in order to try and secure one of these precious seats, you had to get up at 7am to make sure you were one of the first 50 people in line at 8am when the reservations table opened up, in hopes you could get in. Oh, and if it was any time after 10:30am, the reservations table was closed and there was no way to make a reservation anywhere, even at the Brazilian restaurant. Maybe this is the way all of the resorts in Playa del Carmen do things, but I've been to very nice resorts in both Cancun and Puerta Vallarta and NEVER had to deal with so many rules and limitations. Not to mention the fact that we were getting married at their resort! You think the least they could do after all of that was make sure we had dinner reservations each night.

9. And to top it all off, at least half of my guests, including myself, went home with bronchitis and sinus infections - almost positively due to the poor ventilation systems in the rooms. Several of my guests actually asked to have their rooms switched the first day they arrived because of leaks in the roofs and musty odors. For a resort that claims to be five star, you certainly could have fooled us.

10. Some of our guests/groomsmen also almost slipped and fell while walking down the aisle and when members of the wedding party informed Ael that the floor was slippery and wet she simply wiped it up with a piece of paper and proceeded to toss that trash onto a nearby table in what was supposed to be my beautiful wedding room. Appalled by this, one of the groomsmen actually had to throw the paper away or she would of just left it there.

11. Also, while myself and my bridesmaids were getting ready for the wedding in one of our rooms, we requested a bottle of champagne that we never received and had to trudge down to the lobby bar to get drinks for all 5 girls in the wedding party plus my mother and grandmother, and when we requested help back to the room with them, so not to spill them, we were rudely told no by the wait staff so I had to get my cousin to come help us.

The worst part is, I only get to have a wedding once... and my day was ruined. I just really expected the resort to take more care with such a special day. I must tell you that my 59 guests and I will not be recommending Riu resorts to anyone else we know. In fact, I'll be sure to recommend against anyone every staying at a Riu. Its unfortunate because all of my issues could have been resolved very easily. I honestly feel like the wedding staff, namely Ael, was very racist against Americans and that is part of the reason we did not get the service we deserved. They were simply unprofessional, unaccommodating and downright depressing.

Thank you again for your attention to this. I just wish I could start all over :(

Sincerely,
    Melissa (Riebel) Stevens

• Ra
      7th of Apr, 2010

I would like to hear from anyone who can help me contact someone in authority to help me after I was assulted by the RIU Cancun manager SueLee. She was the most unreasonable person I have ever met. She kick me out onto the street for just sticking up for my 18 yr old son's friend, we were a party of 30 guests.
    2) the food was the same everyday, got sick of that quick
    3) rooms were not cleaned everyday
    4) shows were boring and the dance club was a joke

• St
      27th of May, 2010

I just returned (5/27/10) from the Emerald Bay Riu in Mazatlan and had a number of horrible experiences during our four day stay. I am a resident of the beautiful Lake Chapala area, Jalisco state, in central Mexico. Two bus loads of 100 people (Mexicans, Americans, Canadians of all ages) arrived at 9:30 am our time (8:30 am Sinaloa time) after riding all night for 9 hours -- we were told we would have our rooms probably within a couple of hours (reasonable we felt) and to enjoy breakfast and grab our bathing suits and enjoy the pools, etc. Needless to say, after 4 visits to the reception area by my son asking when our rooms would be available it was always "Senor, in another hour" -- after all those times at 3:45 pm (their time - 4:45 pm to our bodies) I said I am going up there -- Mrs. Nice Guy has taken a vacation and I WILL COME BACK WITH TWO KEYS TO KING SIZED ROOMS and I did. I won't go into particulars, but just let it be known I can be very persuasive when I want to and I am sure they were afraid I would make a scene in front of other guests checking in, asking questions, etc. The math is we waited 8 HOURS FOR OUR ROOMS...

Unfortunately, that's not the half of it -- Mazatlan Riu is an all inclusive and I met at least a couple dozen people from Canada and US that had gone to other Rius with fairly positive experiences and therefore decided to try Mazatlan -- they stayed at Cabo and Puerta Vallarta previously. They were very dissatisfied with the "adults only swimup bar pool area" -- supposedly for 18 years and older) and tons of Mexican children (let it be known that 85 percent of the clientele were Mexicans) floating around in their plastic floating devices, jumping off side of pool and fountain in the middle and generally being children -- okay, I get it, Mexicans do not supervise their children -- it is a cultural thing -- I live here and I know that; however, when a young mother accompanied by her entire family brings in her 1-1/2 year old baby -- maybe younger -- and it is obvious the baby is scared to death of the water screaming, crying and yelling -- I ask her in polite Espanol to please leave the pool with her baby because it is designated "Adults Only" and she just starred me down. I said "fine, I'll go to the Director of Security" which I did and when we returned she and her familia were out of the pool. But, they returned in a couple of hours and as I was drinking and talking with some fellow Americans (I also had many conversations with Mexicanos in Spanish and in English during my stay) and one of the young married women screams "Oh, my God, what is she doing?" We all look around and she is changing the baby's diaper in the pool -- that is when I lost my mind and in 5 minutes we had the Director of Security, a lifeguard type and another security officer over to their group and trying to calm them down speaking in Spanish not knowing I understood what they were saying. As this resort obviously caters to Mexicanos, they want to keep their clientele and believe me they pay a lot less than the Americans and Canadians. Also, I heard rumors that there is a black market for the red wristbands needed to go in the adults only pool and get as many cocktails as you can ingest during your stay. Needless to say, by 2 pm each afternoon the water was murky from children's pee.

Well, people, this is not the end of my story -- personally I was very, very, very poorly treated by the Director of the Hotel (Sr. Filiberto Santos Herrera) when I reported a slip and fall to him as that morning I was walking down the beautiful marble staircase which only has a railing to the third from the bottom step (very poor architecture in my opinion) -- you know where I am going with this -- when I hit the second step there was a lot of fine sand on the step and my feet went out from under me and I end up on my behind on the floor and hit my mid back on the last stair. The young man I had talked to earlier at the front desk, Jakiel, who could not authorize a late checkout heard me screaming along with some one setting up for the breakfast meal and one security guard showed up within a few minutes and called to another security guard. They, I have to say, were very concerned, offered the hospital, a wheelchair ride to my room, etc. and when I said to Jakiel that I had slipped on fine sand on the second step from bottom he acknowledged there was sand there and said "I will get someone to clean it up right away". I told all 4 of them that I know how these things go -- you are in shock and your body is traumatized and it is the next day or 5-6 hours later when the full impact and trauma shows up. Well, it did -- $160 dollars later the doctor (very nice young female doctor on call for the Hotel) checked me out and gave me a shot for the pain and back spasms and that was also $80 dollars so $80 for Hotel visit/$80 for the shot and then a prescription called into local farmacia who delivered two medications to the tune of $620 pesos (equivalent of approximately $50 US). When I talked directly with the Hotel Director, Sr. Filiberto Santos Herrera, he never once asked me how I was doing, how he could help me and he basically called me a liar to my face saying people miss that step all the time and that is what happened. That is when I started yelling, your night front desk staff who made the report, Jakiel, knows there was sand on the second to last step as he said he would send someone right away to clean it up -- and Sr. Herrera looked me in the eyes and said "he did not put that in his report, you just missed the last step". I said you can either reimburse me now for my out of pocket expenses with doctor, shot and prescriptions, or in the alternative you can wait to be sued and when I see you in court in 4-5 years (which is the way it goes here in Mexico) you can pay 10 to 100 times that amount -- I am retired and have nothing but time. He refused to give me his business card saying "I don't have any cards" and I responded that "That is abhorrent to me that an international Spanish hotel chain does not provide business cards to its Directors". He wrote on a slip of paper his name and the email address of the head of customer service -- that was all I got -- never "Senora, are you okay? Senora, I hope you are feeling better, Senora, is there anything else I can do for you?" or anything close to an apology on behalf of the supposed 5-star hotel.

I encourage people to boycott the Riu chain of hotels -- most of the people I met will NEVER return to one even though they had mostly positive experiences before in other Mexico Rius.

I am a reasonable woman in her 60s enjoying her retirement years in Mexico, I realize the Mexican culture is different, and guilt and responsibility is a foreign concept to them; however, THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL SPANISH OWNED CHAIN AND THE SPANISH PEOPLE ARE MORE SOPHISTICATED THAN THEIR DIRECTOR OF THE MAZATLAN HOTEL EXEMPLIFIED.

What he doesn't know is that I talked with his Sales Manager Mazatlan (Sr. Fernando Del Toro Trevino) the day before with a number of concerns and he was extremely polite, professional, and seemed genuinely concerned about my various comments about the hotel -- a couple very positive and more not positive at all. Since I have many years in the hospitality industry and have traveled the world extensively I felt that my years of experience and my sharp eye for details would be a help to a fairly new hotel in the Riu chain.

I just hope I have the appropriate email for the customer service department because I will not let this go -- and I, too, will become their worst nightmare!!! Thanks for reading my diatribe.

• Do
      22nd of Oct, 2010

My name is Doret Ledford, and I do not know why I am trying to visit this chain of hotel again after the way we were treated a few years ago. I am having the same problem again, and never would these people own up to their mistakes. I am trying to book my family for the December season and signed up as a travel agent. I called them to make my reservation, and they directed me as to how to go online and book my reservation. I was told that my clients will not pay until they check in, but must use a charge card to hold the rooms. However, if I chose to book for them, I could use a charge card, defer payments, but everything must be paid in full 7 days before they check in. The customers chose to book using their own charge card. I inadvertently use someone else charge card for her sisters and believe it or not. In a few minutes the money was taken out of her account...all $4, 100. When I realize what was done, I called them and quickly cancel, but although it was their mistake as they thought it was my charge card..even though I could defer payment until 7 days prior to check-in, they refuse to admit that they made an error, and refuse to call the bank to refund payment, and the client must wait 5-7 days for her money to be back in the bank. Although the bank stated that they could call to verify and refund the money they coldly refuse. I think this is a great sign, and they we should stay away from this chain. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. To all of you, no use reporting the incidents, unless it is legal or unless we all do a class action, but customer service is one of the poorest ever.

Good luck to all

• Ba
      24th of Nov, 2010

I just gotback from the RIU in Costa Rica. It is only 1 year old. My friends and I stayed in room 3334 and 3335. The room was nice, but the smell of black mold was horrible. I went to change our rooms and could not because they were sold out. I took pictures of the mold and am trying to find who I can write too. At the pool, we met several people who had the same problem. I am now sick from the mold and mildew. Also, the maid broke a glass, and did not clean it up. My husband stepped on it. When leavng the hotel, we went to get our wine out refrigerator and 1 bottle was missing. I am very dissapointed. This was suppose to be a 5 star hotel.

• Br
      27th of Dec, 2010

We just returned from Cabo and our family of 7 had booked our Christmas vacation at RIU SANTA FE. This hotel is VERY dangerous for Americans because the security hassles Americans and either tries to extort money out of them and if they can't, they will call the police and have you sent to jail. We were pushed, shoved, injured and abused by security at this hotel and the management is in on the SCAM. The hotel is very anti American and all Americans should avoid this hotel or you'll end up in a jail cell like we did. When Mexican immigration came to the hotel they told us that this hotel has issues with Americans all the time and that we should file a complaint. I want to warn all travelers to avoid this hotel, especially the head security guys CESAR and the manager Brenda. They have arranged an extortion plan to make money off Americans at this resort...heard nightmare stories from other guests as well. BE SAFE AND STAY SOMEWHERE BUT THE RIU. Besides, the hotel food, service and amenities are awful and below par and I would give this hotel a 1/2 star. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Br
      1st of Mar, 2011

Hi, if you find that information please share with me...I am currently trying to figure out legal action against this hotel. Thanks!

27th of May, 2011

I visited a Riu Hotel Feb. this year after being assured that this was a wonderful chain. The very first day I fell on wet crooked stairs sustained many injuries, including a concussion. ( no I do not drink) When the fall was reported we were topld that the resort doesn't own the beach, then why do they boast of their wonderful beaches. Chidren ran freely over the stages that were meant for the entertainment -- they could hve been many injuries there. An in inebriated guest was throwing chairs onto the dance floor while people were dancing it took over an hour for security to come. There was much sickness from the food-- desk denied any problem. I am now under the care of a neurologist as concussion symptoms continue it is now the end of May!
    Sunquest was our agent they have been notified of our horrible experience with the Bachata hotel, they have not replied. Our room had a mouldy musty smell and we both came home with a lung infection. A very unpleasant experience with no one responding to the complaint

• Ve
      11th of Aug, 2011

I agree with all of you about RIU. They don't allow you to submit complaints/comments or suggestions on their website. I feel that this is reflection of what they represent as a company. I stayed at the Riu Montego Bay and was severely disgusted with the service and the resort itself. The beach is a man made beach so the sand is mixed with a gravel and the bottom of the beach was filled with seaweed slime and dirt. It was disgusting. The food was HORRIBLE and they served the same thing every day. They ran out of wash cloths so they didn't distribute any after they cleaned your room you had to request them. It's was over crowded and filled with staff whose focus is NOT customer service oriented. I am severly disappointed. I will never stay at another Riu resort

• Ti
      19th of Oct, 2011

I should have checked these complaints before planning my late honeymoon/couples trip a few weeks ago to the Riu Cancun. The staff was horrible and my husband and I and our guest were treated extremely unfairly during our stay. Upon our arrival, the credit card machine was not working at check in. They took copies of our card and told us to try again later. We came back and still could not settle our bill. After attempting to pay in full twice, next day we return to our room to see a note telling us to pay on the door. When we go down to the front desk to pay (for the third time) our friends credit cards went through but it would not process our Visa debit card. After having muliply staff members run our card, leave the card on the counter, come over and look at the machine and call over the supervisor to do the samething, they tell us that it is declined. My husband checks our account online, which had the funds and I call our bank. Once I was on the phone with a rep from our bank, who was able to tell me the error notice that they were recieving, the hotel staff still could not get the transaction processed. It was only after I yelled " I am not going to keep going through this here. I am done and will just handle it tomorrow", that one of the staff members who was there for the whole ordeal found a solution to the problem. He then got the card payment to go through successfully. We had friends visit us from another resort while we were there. They were staying at the Sun Palace which was double the price of the Riu Cancun. While they were there waiting in the lobby for the rest of our party to come down, they were accused of "using Riu facilities" and they tried to make us pay a 90 dollar day pass fee. Eventhough they never left the lobby and never even went to our room. The front desk called security and had them follow us as we went out to the beach for jetskies. After the front desk made a big scene, my husband asked to speak with the manager. He went to his office, spoke with him and magically the problem was again resolved and we were allowed to exit through the hotel to the beach. I honestly believe that since we were the only african american visitors to the hotel, it caused much of this rudeness we experienced. The elevator system was slow even with 4 elevators working. The liquor at the bars was watered down and you had to ask the bartenders for a better quality that was hidden. For it to be a "24 hour all inclusive" the pool and hot tub closed early as well as some of the bars. The night club to a joke and had out of date music. Our course we made our own fun, but they will never see my face there again. I also hated that we had real keys instead of card keys, this was a hassle to keep up with and have to put around your neck. I was recommended this resort but I would not spread the word.

• Xi
      14th of Nov, 2011

I booked my honeymoon and it turned out to be quite a huge disappointment riddled with frustration and mishandling. The best way I can do this is with a chronological list that constituted in the most egregious problems that listed from day 1 of the trip.
    1. October 17, 2011. We arrived in Mexico where Customs lost our camara (the one with our wedding pictures in it). It seems that as we were going through Customs someone else “may have picked it up”. We were then assaulted by a mob people claiming to be of Olympus Tours (who spent over 1.5 hrs. before he explained that he was a timeshare and that was “subcontracted” to Olympus Tours). Finally, after having in arrived in Cancun for over 2 hrs., we found the guys with the orange shirts that said they were Olympus tours and “overheard” us asking the other guy if he was with Olympus Tours, but he did not want to “interrupt” the conversation. He then informed us that our names were not on their list and he wanted to see the “voucher”. Because, without a voucher he cannot give us a ride anywhere. I showed him the itinerary given to us by Ric, of Traveler’s Village, Bloomfield, NJ. He had to call the “main office to confirm” we waited another 2 hrs. before anyone got back to us. They agreed to transport us to the hotel. They dropped us off at another Hotel, not Riu Palace. I refused to get off in that hotel which prompted yet another call to the “main office” and another 20 minutes or so of waiting time. We were told that we were going to be brought back to the Airport and we could figure out how to get to the hotel ourselves. The driver halfway to the hotel then said to us that he felt bad and that he was going to bring us to Riu Palace even thought that’s not “his job”. After arriving in Cancun I had already spend over 5 hrs., was angry and could already see that my honeymoon was being ruined and was turning out to be a complete disaster.
    2. October 17, 2011. We arrived at the hotel Riu Palace Las Americas and were told that our room was not yet ready and our names were not in their system. After over 1 hr. wait we were given swipe card keys and towel cards. Since I had previously been to this particular hotel I knew the layout pretty well. We were given room number 657 which was on the lagoon side. I paid for an upgraded Jr. Suite Ocean View with the Complementary Honeymoon Welcome. That was NOT the room that was supposed to be assigned to me. I went back downstairs and spoke to someone in front desk, showed him my itinerary and was told that they had no Ocean View rooms available and that he would see what he could do. After much arguing we were told that someone had just changed the room and we were going to be given an Ocean View room. We were then assigned to room 431. Room 431 smelled of molded carpet. I am allergic to mold and thus suffered from sinus headaches the entire time we were in Cancun. The Bed covers were ripped (attached hereto are copies of photographs showing the ripped bed covers.) The walls had holes in them and the paint was chipping off the walls as well. I again went downstairs and complained to have another room. We were told that there were no other Ocean View rooms. I know for a fact that the hotel was not crowded at all and that there were plenty of open, empty rooms and accommodating me could not have been a problem at all. It took them three (3) days of constant complaining for anyone to come and change the torn, ripped and otherwise abused bed cover. We were told that “honeymoon welcome” would not come because we did not have an original certified copy of our marriage (we just got married two days before and barely had a copy of our marriage certificate before our pastor sent it to the State to Certify same.) We were not given enough towels and so we had to dry off with beach towels. As a matter of fact one day when I was merely walking the hallway the lady in room 429 asked me to please bring her towels because she kept calling down and she never got anywhere, I guess since staff was rarely seen in the hallways, she must have thought that I was hired help with the mere fact that I am Hispanic. It was well after 7:00 p.m. before we could go downstairs to go to Dinner. Because we were late we were told that we could not enter. We had effectively spent an entire day arguing. This was our first day of our honeymoon. All this after being in Cancun for just 10 hours!
    3. October 19, 2011, We asked front desk again to change our bedcovers and to add warm covers as there were none in the room and it was a little chilly for me. I am a cancer survivor and as result of that suffer from various medical conditions including Lupus and Diabetes, as a consequence to my medical conditions I suffer from chills if the temperature is lower than normal. We again, asked for extra towels. We waited at the front desk for at least 20-30 minutes for nothing as nothing was done about our complaints.
    4. October 20, 2011. The ripped torn and otherwise abused bed covers still had not been changed dispite all of our time in the Lobby and the numerous complaints as to same. Again we spent an exorbitant amount of time in the lobby trying to get either towels, the linen changed (we were told that the hotel does not change linens unless we request it). I am diabetic and had to constantly ask them to change the soda from the room to a diet soda because they continuously stocked the room with regular Pepsi and 7up. Still no promised “champagne”, “fruit basket” or “welcome gift”. By this time I was so angered that I did not care to have any of the “extra niceties”. I would have been happy with the basic.
    5. October 21, 2011. We had come to the conclusion that Riu management did not care, had changed from my visit there 2007 and that we would just not get the service that I had come to expect from Riu Hotels. After my husband went to the front desk and explained in a very angry tone that he was not happy about the service, and asked front desk for warm covers (he would put them on himself), we were told that some towels and covers would be sent “right up”. We got a tray full of sandwiches, my guess to make up happy. And we got two different people bringing us towes and finally the warm covers arrived. A little too late since we were leaving the very next morning.
    6. October 22, 2011 - We checked out of the hotel and proceeded to wait for the driver at 10:00 a.m. as agreed. The driver showed up 1.5 hours late. And then he proceeded to drive us to two other different hotels even though I explained that I needed to be at the airport on time. We made it to the airport minutes before the plane took off. We were charged and had previously paid for the extra leg room, but because we were so late our seats were given to someone else. My husband had to again be crammed into a small seat.
    We spent every single morning of our honeymoon dealing with and taking care of the very things that were supposed to have been included and/or part of our honeymoon. This was supposed to have been my dream honeymoon, moreover, this is the first time I have been compelled to carry my anger and disappointment to this level. I feel that your company did not take importance to my honeymoon, especially since you had been prepaid for months in advance, therefore you did not have incentive to actually perform nor keep the contract. It caused me thousands of dollars, waste of voluminous and valuable time, not to mention the despair associated with such a disappointment of service. Spending my honeymoon in Riu Palace Las Americas was the most regrettable, frustrating and anger-provoking experience of my wedding and subsequent honeymoon.

• Ge
      28th of Nov, 2011

I Just got back from RIU PALACE PUNTA CANA. A tour agent accused me of stealing his cell phone. The hotel manager who was his buddy came with the tourist police, ransacked my room while i protested. There after they hauled us to the tourist police station and charged us
    formally and threatened to put me in jail if I do not pay $700 . We called our travel agent at GoGo vacation, they put pressure on the agent who promptly withdrew his charges. The hotel manager was not help, claiming we acted suspicously in how we acted and how we spoke. I do not know of any hotel management who treat their guest this way. Yes the place looks ok, not that outstanding. The hotel needs a lot of upgrading, the ceiling leaks and the toilet don't
    flush. But most of all, the staff needs upgrading.

• Pe
      7th of Jan, 2012

We went for a 7 day all inclusive vacation to the Riu Merengue, in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, with 2 other families. The resort is very impressive, the food was good and the beach amazing. It is a great place to go to if you only want to spend all your time on the beach. The problem starts if you want to do any activities. The resort offers various activities through a company called Scuba Caribe (or at least we thought it was resort approved as it is on the premises). We signed up for ATV rides through Scuba Caribe. We were planning to take our kids with us (aged between 8 to 13) and wanted to be sure it was safe. The tour operator ensured that it was very safe - that it was smooth, leisurely ride through flat lands. After a lot of debating, we decided to do it. But the rides turned out to be totally different - there were no flat lands - it was all ups and downs. We were accompanied by the guide, the mechanic and the mechanic's 12 year old son. The little kid was generally hyper, jumping on the ATVs (we had 5 ATVs in total) trying to 'help' us navigate. During one such episode involving the ATV I was on, he hit the accelerator instead of the brakes while going downhill and the ATV went out of control. I was thrown off, the ATV flipped and landed on me. The most appalling thing was that the tour operator had no first aid kit or safety procedure in place. It took over 2 agonizing hours for someone to come get us to the hospital.

I escaped without any broken bones, but had numerous injuries that apparently would take months to heal. We tried to meet with the Customer service manager at Riu and tell him that the person operating on their premises wasn't even following basic safety procedures - his reaction shocked us - he said he doesn't care. The only reason we even thought about going on that ride was because it was on their premises and we assumed it would be safe. Wrong! According to the manager, as long as they got rent money, they would rent out space to anyone. He said it was 'business'. He doesn't care what happened to guests - the same applies apparently to food poisoning or anything that happened on the hotel premises. Shocking! He said that the hotel has no responsibility what so ever in regards to safety of guests. And that we 'Anglo-Saxons' expect special treatment everywhere.

We are done with Riu after this experience. It is atrocious that anyone could even talk like that, forget someone in Customer Service! How do they expect people to return with 'don't care' attitude!

19th of Apr, 2012

I booked RIA at the last minute due to my own error, it was thankfully short stay
    It was a clean place but the doors are of dubious quality but the safe is generous.
    What is the urine smell that is so awful @ times in the lobby of Punta Cana RIU?
    The wireless hotspot is there if you can stand the smell. I couldn't
    The two young ladies traveling with me were getting lavicious comments from kichen staff when I wasn't with them. It was a form of harrasment and it wasn't the young guys. It was the good old boys, very unprofessional.
    I was never so glad to leave a hotel in my life, even at the last minite as I was leaving I got tagged for 24$ for towels just as we found the cards I told them to keep the money its last they will ever see from me.

• Be
      12th of Jun, 2012

I must say that the Riu Bahamas policies are a crying shame. While staying there on vacation i visited my local bahamian friends(2) and we decided to catch up on old times. As a result, I suggested that we go back to Paradise Island and go up to my room for a drink and chat. While entering the hotel the night attendant stopped my black friend and told him that locals are not allowed in the hotel. My white friend however, too was a local but was never approached. This I must say is a crying shame. You should not be treated like little children. My money was spent and I cant bring a guest or guests to my room, along with racial profiling. I immediately asked to speak to a manager but none was around. I have stayed at breezes bahamas and never had this problem. As a result, and their inability to treat people with respect and humanity I will never stay at any of your locations again.
    Regards, bertram miller bertramm@hotmail.com