Ritz Camera / Scam

I placed an order for a Nikon D90 Kit on the RitzCamera.com site to take advantage of a 10% off offer when paying with Paypal. I placed the order and completed the payment with Paypal. I received a confirmation email from Paypal indicating the payment had been made and it listed the proper amount reflecting the 10% discount. I then received a confirmation email from RitzCamera.com but it listed the full amount without the 10% discount. I figured that just may be the way their system works so I did not question the amount.

A few days later I tried to check the order status on the Ritz Camera website using the order number that I had received in the confirmation email. The website did not recognize the order number. I used the online chat to customer service to see if there was a problem with the order. I was assured that the order was processing and it would ship "soon".

Today I received a call from Ritz Camera telling me that there was a problem with my order. They told me that Paypal had denied my payment and that I could complete the order using another form of payment. I told them that I did not want to do this since I made the order to take advantage of the 10% discount. The caller told me that there was no discount on my order and that I needed to make a payment of the full amount using another method if I wanted the order to ship. The 10% Paypal discount ended on Jan 1.

I insisted that the order was made before the end of Dec 31 and I had a printed confirmation screen that indicated the discounted amount. They would not budge, insisting that I had to pay the full amount. I told them to forget about it and cancel the order.

I am not sure if this problem is the result of incompetence or unethical behavior on the part of Ritz Camera but it does not matter. I do not want to deal with them again in either case. I am still working with Paypal to find out if they actually sent money to Ritz Camera. The transaction is still listed in my account at Paypal.

Fr

Comments

• Ga
      9th of Dec, 2008
    Ritz Camera - Horrible/Misleading Service
    Ritz Camera
    Portland
    Oregon
    ritzcamera.com

First of all their ad indicated that all of their stores were opening at 6 am. The Uptowne Store was not open at 8 and when the clerk arrived she locked the door and would not answer it. I called another store and they told me they had what I wanted. I drove there, they didn't but ordered it for me 2 hours they called me and told me they were not authorized to order it for me. They sent me to another store. They didn't have it. I then called another store. They said they had it. I drove there. They filled out paperwork and then informed me I wasn't qualified for the phone. No one at any of the other stores told me this would ever be an issue. They all knew I had a phone because I had given them my previous phone number and SS #. They would not do anything to waive requirements or make exceptions. I spent about 7 hours on this process. I don't beleive they ever intended to sell me the phone.