Rite Aid Pharmacy / lost prescription

I put in 2 requests at the pharmacy: one was a refill and the other was new prescription. The intake person said it would take approximately an hour, which I thought was odd because they are not known for having several items in stock. I returned an hour later to find that the refill was complete, however they had to order the new script which would take 2 days.

I returned 2 days later and they said there was no prescription on file. I told them in great detail the description of the intake person at 6:30 PM on Monday, as well as a description of the guy who told me he would order it approximately 8 PM the same night. Luckily the second pharmacist was still working when I called. He had to search for the prescription & would call me back. Two hours later he called back to say he found my new prescription. It was filled the following day.

I think that's extremely scary that a pharmacy could "lose" a prescription, because they are all written on small pieces of paper. Even more terrifying is t here's been ID theft taken from prescription drug labels nowadays! Rite Aid's system of checks & balances had failed.

I'm concerned if I should go back there to fill my future prescriptions.

Thanks for letting me speak my mind,
McCrea

Pharmacy details:
Rite Aid, Bush St @ Larkin in San Francisco CA

Mc

Comments

• Ka
      21st of Dec, 2007

I think you are over-reacting. In college I was a clerk in a pharmacy, and we rarely lost a prescription but it would happen. The pharmacy gets busy and there are numerous prescriptions on the counter, customers get impatient and overwhelm the help staff with demands, the phone is ringing contsantly, etc., etc. It can get really crazy sometimes. Also, for all the automation it is much more complex delivering a presciption to a customer than it was even 15 years ago, when I was a clerk.

Your prescription was probably either inadvertently thrown away of misfiled, and I'm betting the latter. Just as an office can lose paperwork, a pharmacy can lose a prescription. Have you ever misplaced or lost an important paper in your job? I'm betting you have; and it's because you are human as much as the pharmacy staff. Something to consider.

• St
      19th of Nov, 2008

"pharmacy could "lose" a prescription, because they are all written on small pieces of paper."
    Does that make any sence. Because there written on small pieces of paper, the CAN be lost with the hundreds of other Small pieces of paper

• Me
      28th of Mar, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me. WALGREENS DRUG STORE had my script and for two weeks and made one excuse after another for not filling it. I made 7 trips in two weeks, made two complaints to the mgr, one to the regional mgr, and one to corporate (not one called me back on this after saying they would all investigate). I wouldn't be so upset but it was for controlled narcotic pain killers and I went without for almost two weeks and went through withdrawl. The doctor could not re-write for 30 days due to the law. So I was without for 30 days. I suspect a coverup! No problem though, I have the local t.v. station investigating.

• Ji
      14th of Apr, 2009

I had a friend just call me to tell me that a pharm here in fl lost his script that he dropped off a few days ago. It was also for a controlled substance so it's not so easy to just go get a "new" one. The ignorant person who worked as a "clerk" 15 years ago has no idea what it is like to not only have extreme pain from brain cancer OR how it feels to have those medications abruptly stopped. I want to know what my friends options are here. Who to report this to? Anyone know? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks~Jill
    Jillrrn@gmail.com

• On
      25th of Feb, 2010

drugmonkeyrph@gmail.com This is David Stanley Monroe a pharmacist with Rite-Aid. Email him your complaint as he has corporate's ear.

• Va
      19th of Mar, 2015

I had the same happen thing kinda happen to me at the Rite Aid in my college town. I dropped off a new prescription to be filled at the pharmacists a month ago. They took it and ran my insurance info through and said it needed to be updated. I didn't have the new info for the insurance on hand and they gave me my current prescription and had me pay for it. I saved the receipt so later on I was able to get a refund for my birth control i had to pay for a month ago since I was able to get my new insurance info. And I told them I gave them a new prescription from my doctor for a different kind of birth control pill a month ago. One of the pharmacists looked it up and told me that there wasn't any new prescriptions on file. What should I do? Should I go back to my doctor to get a new prescription?

• Ji
      10th of Sep, 2018
    Rite Aid - apple and I tunes card
    Brooklyn, New YorkBrok

I had brought a card from your store, and when I tried to use it didn't work and it told me it already been used

• St
      14th of Oct, 2018
    Rite Aid Corporation - Manacing Rite Aid Manager Threatens Customer Using Homophobic Slur
    New York

12th of Nov, 2018
    Rite Aid - employee
    Martin Kentucky
    riteaid.com

I went into the Martin Ky rite aid on New Years Eve, of course buying alcohol it was New Years. When the cashier Josh (usually a pharmacy worker) asked how he was doing he said "oh just taking care of all these alcoholics coming in here". I thought that was very rude, if it wasn't for the"Alcoholics" he wouldn't have a paycheck.