Restaurant.com / Huge Scam - Stay Away

This is a huge scam. Don't buy anything "certificates" from this website. They are not certificates, they are "coupons". You can only use ONE coupon per month per purchase and each purchase has to be a certain amount. I didn't find out the ONE coupon per month per purchase policy until after the purchase was made. The term of the coupon can only be accessed by viewing/printing the coupon after you've already made the purchase. The company has a NO REFUND policy and you only find out after the fact as well.

Basically, if restaurant.com is a legitimate company, they would have some sort of refund policy if it's not a 30 day refund policy, how about 1 week or 1 day refund policy?

Their customer service is very bad. They still have not reply to my cancelling email request (which I already know what they're going to say). Their 2 phone numbers listed on the website were busy. It took me over an hour of redialing both numbers to get through and they basically told me that I should have read the fine print in the TERMS link, which is at the bottom of the website.

Bottom line, restaurant.com a huge scam. Don't do business with them. They are NOT selling "certificates". They are selling coupons which you can find from the local newspapers.

Comments

• Lu
      31st of Jan, 2009

Hello
    Do you read terms and conditions before you check out on any online company? I sure do. If you read the terms that were listed at check out on restaurant.com, as well as under 'terms' at the bottom of their website, and one each individual restaurants' site within the restaurant.com website, you would have seen that you can only redeem one per restaurant per party per month and that there is no cash back. Seems to me like someone just doesn't like to read before entering a credit card online, which is stupid!

5th of May, 2009

I wish I would have read this before my purchase. I was unable to use two of my "coupons" because they were no longer participating (one was even out of business). You really can find better offers with less restrictions for free in you local paper. The negative comment above appears to be from someone who works for Resturants.com.

I agree Stay away from Resturants.com and tell all of your friends to do the same!!!

• Wi
      6th of Jun, 2009

@luv2complain... you totally work for Restaurant.com, please shut up now. (See luv2complain's only comments for reference)

• Am
      6th of Aug, 2009

I don't work for restaurant.com but i like them!!! Even though there's nothing in my area i always buy them for my sis that lives in AZ and other friends that live in big cities. They love it! They get excited every time i send them one and they always tell me how much fun they had, how full they were and how little they spent! I really wish they had participating restaurants where my parents or I live :(

• Di
      3rd of Sep, 2009

There has been two times that the coupon I have had has invalid. They have been nothing but helpful and gave me a credit for another certificate. I just call them up

• My
      13th of Jan, 2010

I have used many of the coupons purchased on Resturants.com and have not had any problems. I took the time to read the info, the restrictions, and the benefits. Yes, one coupon per month per resturant. Yes some do have a gratuity added prior to total (which I do not agree with and therefore avoid those). Yes some have a minimum purchase.
    It is a good way to try new places at a discounted rate.

13th of Apr, 2010

I love these coupons, I use them all over the country, all the time. READ THE TERMS BEFORE YOU GO, I DO!!!

• Cr
      3rd of Jun, 2010

Wish I would have read this first.I did check it out with the exception of the restaurant itself which cancelled its subscription in Feb.They would not honor the coupon.To me this is the same as stealing.They should not allow a person to buy a bogus coupon.Im thinking of contacting the fair trade association.I hope no one else gets scammed!

• Ka
      12th of Jun, 2010

LOVE THE COUPONS...WORKS FOR ME...All the resturants I go to are as nice as can be when I give them the coupon...EZCELLENT

• Tr
      12th of Jun, 2010

I LOVE RESTURANTS.COM, I have never had a problem with them it lets me and my husband to try new food in the area. I think what there doing is a great thing, how can you complain about getting a 25$ coupon for 2 bucks. Who cares if you can only use the coupon at the same place once a month. I have been using the site for 2 years now and i never had a problem, a resturant even closed the site contacted me and gave me the choice to get another coupon. So if you like to save money TRY THIS SITE.

• Br
      22nd of Jun, 2010

paid $20 for $50"card". find out minimum purchase of $100 + 18%gratuity + 8.7% sales tax (and of course this "card" excludes drinks). total B.S. big waste of time. not worth it. they even offer "cards" for restaurants that are out of business. i paid $20 for nothing and i'm [censored] out of luck.

29th of Jun, 2010

I have been using this site for over a year and have been very very happy w/ them. Twice a place closed and I contacted them and was given a credit towards another selection.
    M

29th of Jun, 2010

I have had great luck with this website. Twice a business closed and they offered me a credit to another place. Can't beat that.

29th of Jun, 2010

You just need to buy then when they are on sale for 80% off.

• Yo
      10th of Jul, 2010

I have also been using these certificates for well over a year. You have to be an idiot to not figure out there are restrictions on how to use a 25.00 coupon you just paid 2.00 for. Come on... do you just sign for whatever somebody puts in front of you or do you check to make sure you are paying the correct tab. IDIOTS and DUMB [censor] cry all the time. Go blame your parents for the genes they passed on and stop blaming this business. You are the one who can't figure out how to take advantage of their offers... so SHUT IT. You just keep proving your stupidity. BTW -- I don't work for them. Matter of fact I don't have to work. I don't even want to work. So I just stay home when I want go out if I want... Think about it on your way to work --

• Wh
      13th of Jul, 2010

I've been using certs since last year. I saved a ton of money using $25 certs that I only paid $2 for each ! Seriously how much better of a deal can you find..especially in your local newspaper (and no I do not work for them either). I always looking for great deals and this is for sure a great deal !

• Br
      6th of Aug, 2010

You people are friggin nuts. First of all, restaurant.com posts the restrictions and user policy all over their site because of how many people have turned out to be unable or unwilling to think before they buy. Second of all, the reason sometimes the certs dont work at restaurants is because restaurants dont bother to tell them when they feel like cancelling or when they go out of business, RDC in fact is forced to rely on customers in this case to discover that the restaurant is no longer accepting. Also, I have never heard of them refusing to give a refund to someone, however they do not give cash refunds they simply give you a new coupon at face value, if you were dumb enough to buy a gift card for 10 bucks and when you want your refund its only 2 dollars that day, thats your own damn fault. In regards to one of the comments about how they have to wait on hold forever. If you did your research you would see that restaurant.com has more than doubled their amount of restaurants in the last 2 years and I'm sure their callcenter is having a hard time finding space for new employees. The entirety of their system is developed around getting the restaurant marketing without them paying, getting the users some cheap food, and of course(how else could they afford it) scraping a very moderate and honest amount off the top. Dont blame the company, blame yourself and the damn restaurant owner.

• Th
      7th of Aug, 2010

Agreed w/Brizzle B!!! If people would just READ, or study, before they buy something online, there'd be less complaints and problems! Of course, there's going to be rules and directions, if you're going to buy a $25 gift cert, for 2 bucks! The certs are designed, to help struggling restaurants, get more exposure and attention! Yeah, if you went to the same restaurant, along w/many other people doing the same thing, w/a cert every week, they'd go out of business! Of course, that's why you can only use 1 a month, at the same restaurant! C'mon people, have some sense!!! If there were no specific guidelines, rules, or restrictions, restaurants would go out of business, left and right and restaurant.com would not be a successful company either! It's a unique marketing company for restaurants. If you took the time to read a little, you'd find out, it works and makes sense! If you did a little research, you'd see that RDC has been featured in Oprah's "O" magazine a couple times, as a great way to save money, in the summer, etc. Nevermind, the various positive recognition in various news media they've received, across the country and has received award and recognition for business practice and customer service! Also, the company holds an A+ rating w/the BBB! Enough said!

• Wo
      20th of Aug, 2010

I've been using Restaurant.com for quite a few years, especially when I travel to big cities (my local selection is limited). It's not their fault when restaurants change their policy or go out of business. Except for those issues, I have nothing to complain about. If I let them know about the unusable coupon, they have always credited my certificate and I select a different one. Their policies are very clearly stated and people who pay attention to details can get a great value from this company.

8th of Dec, 2010

It is definitely a Scam. The bury the terms and conditions and do not make it clear that these are coupons not gift certificates and you have to spend a bunch of money to use them. I didn't realize that until the end and this site will not let you go back and make changes. When I called them they were very nasty and said once I put anything in the cart I had bought it. I have never even run off the coupons. I wouldn't use them for any reason. I hope my credit card comany, the FTC or the Attorney General can help me.