RentalCars.com / car rental

Birmingham, England, West Midlands, GB

I booked a car for a break in Portugal & Spain. I was uncomfortable that I could not find the excess on the web site. Indeed, when I concluded the booking I left a 5/10 feedback stating ‘could not find the excess’. I went ahead because the company renting was Budget – and I have always considered them a good name.
I have just had a call from the booking company, RentalCars.com [protected] and feel as if I am being extorted.
I was told there is a €2000 excess and I would have to pay half at collection, my card would be ‘blocked’ (?) for half of this. This appeared excessive and then there was mention of the ‘protection’ I could buy ….
It appears the failure to supply the excess is so a follow-up call can be made; that having pulled in a customer, they then seek to obtain more money, put you on the spot because you are, to an extent, tied in, committed.
I asked why the excess was not shown on the web and was told ‘it’s in the terms and conditions’. I said that I did not see this before purchasing. I was told ‘it was in the email’ … that I received after I had input all my details etc.
I asked on 2 occasions why the excess was not on the web site – the question as avoided. I told the man why the excess was not on the web site … so that a customer’s detail were obtained, they felt engaged with the hire company, did not want the hassle of having to re-do (possibly being unable to locate a car) – that their conduct was intentional; designed to enable them to make the follow-up call and sell a further product.
I have cancelled the hire. I will book elsewhere.

Ps