RC Willey / unauthorized charges

RC Willey
Salt Lake City
I closed my account IN WRITING in 2000. I have a credit report that I pulled that year confirming that the account appeared on my credit report as CLOSED. I then got divorced in 2005. My ex-husband got re-married 6 months later and he and his new wife went in and were somehow able to get the account re-opened (without speaking to me to get my consent, signature, or checking my credit) and maxed the credit line with new furniture for their new life. They then continued for several, several months to be late on the payment.

Oh, I should mention that throughout this entire ordeal I had been purchasing furniture from RC Willey as well... on a "cash" account.

I have tried to talk to RC Willey to get the account removed from my credit report. I spoke to their fraud department who confirmed that it was my ex-husband who made the purchase, notated the account, and marked it closed at consumer's request. They have assured me that no further charges can be made on the account.

In the meantime, it still appears on my credit report. Every time I dispute it through the credit bureaus they respond that they have confirmed I am the owner.

Anyone know a good lawyer??? I can't see how they can think it is acceptable to hold me accountable for these unauthorized charges.

RC Willey Home Furnishings Logo RC Willey Home Furnishings