Publish America / Publishing troubles
I am writing this to warn all my fellow writer’s out there some advice about the so called publisher Publish America .com. I, just like many new author’s out there was extremely excited about the thought of my book being published that I foolishly signed the contract with Publish America. I was so happy, all my dreams were coming true. I was a published author, or so I thought. It wasn’t until after my book was published that I learned my book was not available to book stores. The book stores had to buy copies of my book to put on their shelves and I don’t know a single book store that would order the insane amount of books that Publish America wants before they sent out books, what book store is going to buy 120 copies of a book by a new author up front. That is just 1 of my issues I have many others as you will read. I am trying to spread the word about the scam that is Publish America.
1. Yes there are many inscepancies between the Publish America web site advertising and the actual contract.
2. Breaches of contract.
A. My official book date release was supposed to be Augest 22 2009, and was not made somewhat available until the end of September, and even now it is still not available where it should be (eg. Amazon.com, chapters.com).
B. Was told that if I bought a certain amount of copies of my book then I would get the royalties from that sale. I wasn’t given any.
C. Publish America in their contract stated that they would issue a press release-that was never done.
D. I was also told that my book would be available for my local book store to order and as of today my local book store is still unable to order copies.
E. was also told that I would receive 8 % in royalties in Febuarary and Augest of each year for copies sold. I have receipts from family and friends who bought the book through the Publish America website, yet I just received a statement informing me that I have sold 0 copies of my book.
3. No my book did not make it to Barnes & Noble book stores.
4. No the shoddy editing was not accepted. I paid $50.00 to fix the errors that they made and the book still is full of them.
5. The overall presentation of my book wasn’t too bad, but I was asked what I would like to see the cover look like after I told them they gave me something totally different then what I wanted.
6. Yes customer / author services are extremely unsatisfactorily. I am still waiting almost a year for answers to questions.
7. My book is very over priced.
8. My book is very under marketed.
9/10. My royalties also have been extremely unreported. I know for a fact that my book has sold at least 50 copies to family and friends through there website, yet Publish America states that 0 copies have been sold.
11. Sales statistic’s on my book are not accessible to me, because the whole sellers of Baker & Taylor along with Ingram still don’t have copies of the book and there for are not being sold. All the books that were purchased by family and friends were done so through Publish America’s website.
12. As far as I know my book is not for sale or advertised under a different name.
13. The only e-mail’s I ever receive from Publish America are one’s in which they are trying to sell me copies of my own book. And yes I feel very pressured to by copies. If I buy (X) amount of copies then that same amount would be donated to my local school’s, library’s, and book stores. The latest deal was they would send a copy to Stephen King.
14. Yes I was asked to provide Publish America with a list of people to announce the release of my book to, but they didn’t follow through and nobody received a single e-mail.
15. I am right now trying to break my contract with Publish America and to get my rights back.
16. I have not found the publishing credit’s to be attributed to anyone besides Publish America.
All I want is for my contract to be null and void and to get the rights back for my book along with monies owed to me. I just want to start over, am open to suggestion’s and or advice anyone might be able to give me.
My pen name is Kimberly MacEachern. my e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org, and the name of the book that I had published with Publish America is a children’s fantasy book called
Tales from Areallia: The Keeper’s.
More Publish America Complaints & Reviews
- Publish America - Awful company 
- Publish America - Breach of Contract, poor printing quality...deserve a refund! 
- Publish America - booksellers with copies of my books 
- Publish America - Manuscript 
- Publish America - 7 year contract 
- America Star Books - don't keep their promises
- American Star Books - not paying royalties
- America Star Books / Publish America - Bin #-9781456033835 darnell hofler-203-565-4968
- America Star Books - misleading authors to publish their books
- Publish America - Defrauds its authors