Protection One / Rip-Off ! ! !

1 San Diego, CA, United States Review updated:

I paid for nearly two years of service only to find out that Protection One wasn't receiving any signal from our house. And, THEY WON'T GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK !

Here are the facts: We had a Protection One, whole-house, system installed nearly 20 years ago when we purchased our home. My husband died about nine years ago and I continued to faithfully pay the monthly service fee and 24-hour monitoring fee. Over the past few years, I have accidently set off the alarm a few times (hasn't everyone?) and would immediately call Protection One and tell them that there was no problem and to ignore the alert. Then, several months ago, I had to have an upstairs bathroom window replaced due to a water leak. I called Protection One and told them I didn't want the window alarmed any longer and inquired how my contractor should cap-off the existing alarm wires. Protection One gave directions to the contractor and advised that I would still have to have a service representative come out and remove the window from my system or it would always show on the alarm pad and would require entering a by-pass code. The service representative came out and re-programmed the system and went on to "test" the system by sending a test signal to Protection One. He then advised me that my system was "not talking" to Protection One. He went on to investigate and determined that the problem was that the phone wires had been cut. Apparently, this had occurred a couple of years earlier, when I had hardwood floors installed -- during the installation, the phone wires were somehow accidently cut.

Here are my issues . . .
1. If the wires were inadvertantly cut by the floor installers, why didn't Protection One get a signal that something was wrong? What if it had been the "bad guys" who cut the wires while breaking into my house? I guess I'd be dead.
2. When I accidently set off the alarm over the past few years and called Protection One to tell them to ignore the alarm, why didn't they tell me they hadn't received a signal? If I set off the alarm and notified them and they didn't receive it, why wasn't that reason enough, in an of itself, to investigate further.
3. I repeatedly asked, over the phone and in writing, for a full refund of the money I paid for services I didn't receive. They have REFUSED.
4. Protection One says that I failed to do a "monthly test" of the system -- something, I might add, my husband nor I have ever done! In any event, setting off the alarm accidently over the past few years and calling them is a test in my book!
4. Their solution is for them to keep my money and have another service representative come out and upgrade my system, at "no charge, " and that I should continue to make monthly payments. Oh, and by the way, the monthly payment for the upgraded system would be more than I was currently paying.

Crooks!

Je

Comments

• Je
      27th of Apr, 2009

This issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. Protection One contacted us promptly after this complaint and has provided us with a complete refund.

Jenaque

• Jm
      1st of Jul, 2010

WOW - thats hard tp believe.