Projects Abroad / abusing poverty to gain income

1 Tanzania Review updated:

After visiting Arusha in Tanzania to visit local projects, such as schools and orphanages, I visited one specific orphanage where it became clear to me that Projects Abroad, an UK based organization (say Company), sends volunteers there to help at the home and school and stay with local host families. Great I would think first, but when I started talking to the 'volunteers' who came from the USA and the UK it became clear they pay 1500 USD per month to work in an orphanage and NONE of this money goes to the project. A host family with food will not cost more then 250 USD and sure some money needs to go the the organizing party, but so much money and NOTHING goes to those in need; orphans, children who need education and have no food...I am shocked but also appalled that this 'organization' is nothing more then making money over the backs of poor people. Shame on you...the name of Herman was mentioned several times as it seems this character works for these greedy people in Arusha. BE AWARE for these companies, look around on the web, there are plenty of smaller organizations that charge much less and that support the projects they work with!

Mp

Comments

• Sh
      23rd of Jun, 2016

I fully agree, just spent 8 weeks in Cambodia caring for youngsters aged 3 - 6 and when I questioned the organisation I was made to feel like a criminal. I would advise anyone unless they are just going for a holiday (which many were) to avoid this organisation if at all possible. If you are are a parent funding a trip, be advised that I'm 53 and all I saw was kids getting drunk, taking drugs, and having sex, in the name of doing something meaningful in their gap year and many only tuenred up tow or three times a week as were either sick, mhungover or on an extended weekend trip . Mums and dads funding this type of trip need to ensure your kids are mature enough to handle the situation as no support other than that from other volunteers is given to them. I would never recommend this organisation to anyone ..please do not give greedy shareholders more profit at the expense of these vulnerable children !

• Cm
      8th of Oct, 2018

Poverty is NO adventure. Help a good NGO rather than a compnay with some brainwashed millenials. Go and travel, help in many ways, go into a local NGO and see what you can do, it's much more rewarding than paying a western company a log of bugs.