Privacy Matters 123 / Company got debit card information from another site!

I noticed $19.95 taken out of my checking account from a privacy matters. I called 800 number listed on my checking account form. I had to enter my debit card number to even find out membership number they wanted me to enter. I talked with a guy named Dimetree. He said his employee number is 152852. He told me they were affiliated with peoplefinders.com. That's how they got my information. I had canceled at peoplefinders.com. I never could use their services so canceled it and they refunded my money. This privacy matters is to get a credit report. I never wanted a credit report or asked for one or even got on their site. I just want my money back and worried because they easily got my credit card information plus address and phone number. Also I looked through my junk mail and saw their email wanting me to clink on something to confirm my membership. I just saw it today. I had never confirmed anything with them.

Comments

• Ni
      25th of Mar, 2008

My story is the exact same as yours. I was told by peoplefinders.com that "It appears that you clicked on there advertisement in order for you to be charged by this company" and "You would only be billed with Privacy Matters if you filled out their survey and entered in your email address twice to confirm registration with them." Last time I checked, I wasn't stupid. I'm pretty sure when I do or do not sign up for something. Their excuse was lame and it sounds as if they use it a lot.

• Gl
      31st of Mar, 2008

I believe these scam artists are all the same company. When I called them they insisted on blabbering about how wonderfull they were and how I would be foolish to 'cancel' the membership I never signed up for. It wasn't until I started swearing at the 2nd guy that I finally got his attention. They agreed to refund both charges ( their first offer was 1 refund) only after I told him I would dispute both charges with my credit card company. I will give them to the end of the week. If my card isn't credited I will simply dispute and they will lose the money anyway.

• Gl
      31st of Mar, 2008

PS NEVER use a debit or VISA check card over the internet. Recouping your money is much more complicated than a credit card dispute. Credit card companies will simply remove the money from the scam artist's bank account. A company signed up to collect via VISA is supposed to keep an account with a minimum $5000 for this purpose.

• Do
      7th of Jul, 2008

I check my statements about every quarter [that will change] and found 3 charges to privacymatters 123 for $19.95 each. I called the 877# and went through the computer prompts, operator # 17334, "Chistine" and supervisor #7329, "Wilford". They agreed to credit 2 of the 3 charges in the next two days. Evidentally Prople Finder had a default button that requested a 7 day free trial and they had my CC# for a report I had ordered. That won't happen again. Does anyone know to whom I protest to get the last $19.95 after I'm sure I got the most resent 2 charges reversed?

• Bi
      13th of Aug, 2008

email them, ask for full refund, do not call you will be fully refunded

14th of Oct, 2008

I recently applied for a membership with Classmates.com and I also feel there was some sort of a small print area that I didn't read that signed me up for this privacy matters service. I was debited $19.95 from my account and immediately called 1-877-993-6264 and cancelled using my account number as a reference. But the 20 dollar damage is done. Imagine how much money they are making and without providing a service. Luckily I caught it with one charge, unlike some other Victim's who get hit several times before finding out!

• Fa
      3rd of Nov, 2008

Like John I signed up for Classmates one week free to locate a classmates I had been looking for for over 5 years. I few days later there was a charge for $19.95 from PrivacyMatters. No one on the internet had my number except Classmates.com When I call my bank they couldn't tell me anything about the charges but said they received a lots of call about the same company. Hope there are no other charges & now wonder who has my account number. PS Didn't get anything from Classmates doesn't look like they even forward the e-mail.

20th of Nov, 2008

I too went to classmates.com for a free 7 day trial membership. I was on it for six days and cancelled. My credit card was charged the 19.95 even though the membership was cancelled. I now have a disputed charge on my credit card that is fraudulent and is somehow connected with Classmates.com and privacy matters. They somehow are exchanging private information. Beware of using Classmates.com or entering your charge card number at ANY internet site.

• Li
      1st of Dec, 2008

WARNING. I also signed up for a three-month gold membership to classmates.com. Shortly after, my checking account was billed for the classmates membership fee and $19.95 by privacymatters123. In fact, I was billed by privacymatters123 for $19.95 twice so far. I called privacymatter's customer service number today, given to me by my bank, and they promised to refund the two charges. I then cancelled my debit card. CANCEL YOUR CARD AND HAVE REISSUED WITH NEW NUMBER AND PIN. DON'T WAIT! My bank advised me that my billing information probably had been sold.

• Un
      14th of Feb, 2009

I'm not the only one I guess. I requested an adress from a web site called privacy matters 123. Then I clicked on the button to get the report and didn't notice that also signed me up for a 19.95 charge every month. I called 123 and talked to Ebony and Joe ID7027. I got nothing but the run around from them. I called Peoplefinder which is who they said was doing the research and they didn't have anythng on me or my request. I not only got stuck for the money but also did not get a member number to refer to or the address of the person I was looking for. Now all I get is shoved back and forth between them while they each blame the other one. I'm of these rip off people taking peoples money. Maybe they should shove a few million into the stimulus bill to stop this carp instead of 50M going to Pelosi's pet project of saving some damn mouse in San Francisco.

• Le
      2nd of Apr, 2009
    Privacy Matters 123 - unlawfull billing
    privacy matters 123

i was looking at my credit card bill and i found a ap9 privacy matters 123 charge of $29.95 and a second of $1.00. I do not know how this came about, they tell me i clicked on there web site from my yahoo page. what ever i clicked on cost me over $150.00. i want to get my money back. Becarefull of what you clicking on it will cost you.

• Kl
      28th of Apr, 2009
    Privacy Matters 123 - Dishonest advertising, unauthorized charges
    Privacy Matters 123
    Minnesota

This online company is a complete rip-off. Their advertising states "Free" credit scores from all three (3) reporting agencies. However, when you try to get that "free" score, you are led through a maze of registration pages, links, dead-ends, trick questions, et al. The end result is that you NEVER DO get that "free" credit score! AND, you end up with additional, unauthorized charges on your credit card!!

• Kl
      28th of Apr, 2009

Just wondering, though, how they got your credit card number?

• Fr
      15th of May, 2009
    Privacy Matters 123 - unable to cancle membership
    novak

>>!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!<< Difficult trying to cancel membership. No phone # was provided in thier mail out. The phone # on my bank statement was an advertisment to sex hotline. The phone # online is to a completely different business. I finally navagated their website & hopefully was able to cancel.

21st of Aug, 2009

I just called the 888 239-0316 number and got through to a supervisor named Ebony ID # 45912 and I am supposed to have the charges posted to my balance in the next 3-5 business days, We'll see. They refunded one of the dollar charges already and had to call back today to emphasize I wanted the other charges refunded as well. We would never have knowingly authorized these charges I told her and she apologized and said they would be processing the refunds of both 29.95 charges and the other 1.00 charge to my card in the next 2-3 business days and the balance would reflect this in 3-5 business days. So I will have to check on this to be sure before I can truly say they are honestly returning the money. I'll post the results next week to let anyone interested know how it goes.

• Kb
      12th of Sep, 2009

I too had never heard of this company and then i checked my credit card statement
    and there it was, 2 charges for 19.95 each! I never did authorize this, and have no
    idea how they got a hold of my credit card number.

• Jr
      3rd of Oct, 2009

My experience of $19.95 charges was tied to recently joining Clasmates.com-
    PrivacyM says you receive a FREE 7 day trial and billing automatically starts unless you cancel before 7 days. It is ironic that a company that represents security against identity theft for family security practices this.

• Tr
      15th of Oct, 2009
    Privacy Matters 123 - cancelled, then charged again with out my consent.
    North Carolina

I got charged from this company before and had to go through hell to get it cancelled. Now they have started charging me again with out me giving them any information or authorizing any charges. Why can't they shut down a company that illegaly takes money from someones account? If I steal from someone they will lock me up!

• Am
      19th of Oct, 2009

well well well "latoya" from 'privacymatters123' informed me they got my credit card nformation from google or yahoo..and when i called the 800 number listed on my statement "latoya" would not tell me about what the company was that i had just called because the "membership" i was paying for was NOT in my name!!! however she did tell me she was able to refund my money back.. i suddenly had a sick feeling in my stomach so i filed dispute with my credit card company against them. i'll show them!!!

• Me
      6th of Jan, 2010

I canceled mine 6 months ago and now all sudden i was charged not once but twice. I called them up and within 2minutes she canceled the account again and reversed the charges without question. Almost seems like they do it to a lot of people and just hope they will not call in or recognize the charge. I am sure they do it to a lot of people and only like 40% of people recognize it and call in.