Price Chopper / fraud

I believe there is not much help they can provide me.

I will elaborate:

I moved to Vermont to start a new life. I remarried, to a wonderful man and slowly applied for small positions because I was in school full time. I saw an online add for in store customer relations. I applied for a host position to represent food brands and be a host for sales and customer relations. It was in the same store my new husbands ex-wife and minor daughter worked. I applied online, 3 weeks later never heard back. I approached the manager and he told me to re-apply, which I did. According to a friend I was working a temping position at, informed me that Price Chopper, specifically can't hire immediate family members. I was astonished because my now step daughter worked there for a few years along with her mother, same shifts, same store. I was then told that My co-workers cousin was fired by Richard Ravelin, the store manager because he was related to a Eugene Bessette. I was pretty annoyed but dismissed it. The economy fell last year and now I find out that the first step daughter was moved to the pharmacy because she is attending college in the field of pharmacy, and the other step daughter (*her younger sister) was also hired in March to work in the same store. I was just at this store last week and saw that all three of them worked the same hours on that day at the same store. Let me also tell you that at the time of her new hire, they weren't even advertising. They didn't advertise to anyone. It was inside and there were no other girls interviewed for summer work. But she worked 3 days a week. I'd say that I was shocked, so I contacted Goleb corporation and spoke to an Associate Representative and asked what their corporate policy was. Apparently my friend was correct, and Stephanie at their 1-800 number informed me that it is never allowed and if so, certain allowances would have to be justified. I said oh really? like what? She didn't continue but became annoyed when I reported my findings. I felt that they sent a poor example of corporate dealings, Ethically this was a policy just on paper and not adhered to. I explained who I was, the fact remains that you teach your children independence, right and wrong, honesty and morals. If they learn young in life that rules were meant to be broken. That rules do not have to be followed, that it is not important to follow the rules. You are also teaching them to make bad choices. As a parent, I would be ashamed that my children are breaking the rules and I approve. Condoning this lack of integrity shows how completely screwed these kids will be later in life. This is a definite sign of America's flawed society. One thing to keep in mind when you raise productive and independent children. Teach them the difference between right, and sometimes right. Since when is Right and wrong grey areas of society??

Mi

Comments

• Li
      1st of Sep, 2009

As a current employee, I have read the policy. The current written policy is that immediate family members can work in different departments in the same store, or the same department in the same store as long as they do not supervise or participate in the immediate hiring of immediate family members. The policy says that certain exceptions can be made due to business needs but they need to be approved by someone (I forgot who) at the corporate level. However, I highly doubt that the last bit is actually followed. I have routinely seen immediate family members supervise each other, but what do you expect from the nepotists that are the Golub family?

• Mo
      4th of Aug, 2010

Hi~

Okay now this is the year 2010, August and yes you are right routinely the person related is not suppose to supervise or interact with the job instructions but this is not the case. This store routinely dismisses other applicants, and conducts false job practices to apease binding guides, and does whatever they want. The Goleb corporation is family owned an all members work in upper corporate positions so why shouldn't they hire same family members, even practice the same nepitism they frown on? The same family member is still working in the store and has now 3 children hired in that store and being supervised by that person. I would love to see how this is happening when 3 people I know of (teenagers therefore minors and can not be used for arguement purposes) and two adults (young) who applied within the last nine months, have never been interviewed or given positions after an interview with good references and working history, and yet the 3rd child of a current long time employee(front end assistant supervisor/supervisor) was just hired, and with never holding another position before. No experience working at all... yet he was recently hired. Wow~ this is one store I am not going to expect to conduct ethical business practices. I wonder what the fair labor trade law is. I also wonder if I can get video proof of this person supervising. Secretly... and put that infront of their "Business conduct guidelines". Whether you have integrity or practice it, it truly is another example of " Nepitism".