Portfolio Recovery Associates / Fraud and cheating

Portfolio Recovery Assoc. keeps calling about an alleged debt that my wife and I owed from 1994. Problem is that at that time she was my ex-wife so 'we' couldn't have opened that account together. I have checked my credit report and there is no mention of the company (a master card) that they say i owe an outstanding debt to. I have never even heard of Portfolio Recovery until about a week or so ago. They maintain that they have been trying to contact me numerous times by mail and by phone. Neither is correct. I tried to tell them there was some mistake, but to no avail. They keep calling. As I've seen mentioned in other testimonies, they won't give any specifics about the debt other than the name of the company the card was supposed to have been with.

Be

Comments

• Gm
      8th of Mar, 2009

I have had the exact same experience. In fact the alleged year of the 'account' they say I had with some bank was 1994 as well. They claim that they "purchased" the account from that bank in 2004 and have been trying to reach me at my current address since 2004. I moved to my current address in 2006! Anyhow, like you, I checked my report from all 3 bureaus and there isn't even a HINT of an account with that bank at ANY time. When I specifically told them that that account has never appeared on my credit report, they had the nerve to say "...well, it won't appear on the report, the only thing that will appear is the inquiry made by us...". When I challenged them to send me documentation on the account, all they sent was the exact same information they were dictating over the phone. I am trying to figure out what to do about them. I obviously don't owe what they say I do, yet they will continue to call. Worse, they have already made 'inquiries' on my credit report and I'm worried that they will continue to do so in the future.