Plenty Of Fish / false advertising - not 100% free online dating service

Plenty Of Fish says it is a "100% Free Online Dating Service for singles", that is a lie, they have a paid "UPGRADE" option. This is absurd and illegal. The government should do something to stop this huge website from continuing with the false adverstising / deceptive advertising / misleading advertising. Won't the Federal Trade Commission do anything? Plenty Of Fish should be sued. If a website charges their users for any service at all then it is not "100% Free".

Comments

5th of Jan, 2011

Oh yeah, they say:
    "This is a 100% Free Dating Service - NO Charges EVER."

• Sh
      31st of Jan, 2011

Agree completely. Absolutely false advertising!

• Xm
      16th of Oct, 2011

i really must agree. i used pof for years, was thoroughly miserable enjoying myself at the fantastic pof parties, had first dates with so many people and stayed friends with several of them despite them being unable to put up with my positivity and inane jokes and compliments.
    it is terrible that it is a great way for the bored, lonely, desperate and insecure to met people for free (or not to if you feel freaked out by them).
    I have now been happily married for 12 months months thanks to the site but have to admit- few of us go back to the site to let people know it can work- i kissed a lot of frogs and went to parties full of thigh boots, stockings and mini skirts (that was just the men!) before i met the right girl. i don't know the man (and yes he rightfully deleted my account on one occasion) but hands up to markus for putting in security measures on people.
    the sites that make you pay are only interested in your money and insecurities- they son't want you to meet miss right
    xmasbaby2

pof was 100% free when i was a member- party hosts were told to organise parties without financial reward and members could get in without payment. one party host and all members from birmingham got suspended when she livened up our parties by getting a dj and charging a minimal amount to party-goers to cover the cost. thankfully, i lived a few miles out of the area and remained a member- but all my mates had got booted off so the host started her own site instead and the great parties continued.
    having met the love of my life on the site- i don't know the etiquette these days

• Fr
      23rd of Mar, 2012

No, you're wrong, because the way this works is like if you are given a car for free, but it doesn't have a CD player, therefore you go out and buy one, as well as seat covers and an air freshner... You went out and bought features for your free car. Same goes for this site. The site is free, but if you want extra features, that's what will cost you. Nothing illegal, or wrong about that.

• De
      12th of Jun, 2012

POF is not free anymore. I just signed up, my profile wasn't even completed, my pics were not up and I received 12 messages? It's obviously extracted directly from the site, 2 days into it now, and I have no Messages now.. HMMM?? what do you thinK?

11th of Aug, 2014

POF is still 100% FREE as of Aug. 11, 2014. I don't understand why anyone would opt to pay for the "upgrade", you can do everything a person needs to do to meet someone without it! i.e. To make all contact and reply to all, is still 100% FREE. Not sure why so many of you would feel otherwise? Even people on the site don't understand! All one needs to do is read, it's all right there. Nothing misleading as has been suggested. Go figure...

• Sy
      29th of Mar, 2015

Apparently some of you do not know what "100%" means. It is absolutely not "100%" free as sone features require a monthly payment. This is quite clearly common sense. From either a business or a client point of view it is technically false either way.

29th of Mar, 2015

@synnyzter...those "features" are optional and totally unnecessary to send or receive email, flirt or to give your outside contact information. (contact info okay once you've been on there for a very short time. A day or so) Those optional features are so that you can send "virtual gifts" etc, not so that you can make contact and actually meet someone. A lot of sites that require a paid membership to do what POF allows for free, have "extra features" you can add for more money. Who needs'em, i sure don't. BUT there are those that enjoy those added/optional features. Different strokes...

The following are some of the "OPTIONAL features" that require the paid membership:

As an "upgraded" (paying) member, you will show up FIRST on Meet Me. PLUS THE FOLLOWING:
    See if your emails were read or deleted
    Experience POF ad-free.
    Find out the date and time someone viewed your profile.
    Send three gifts per day
    Upload 16 images. (instead of 8 for non paying members)

Big whoopee on ALL of the above "features"! They aren't necessary to contact/ meet that special someone, by any means.

Sounds like a bunch of nitpicking and POF haters to me...POF is, in my opinion, the best site for actually meeting quality people face to face/in person and 100% FREE to do so...period! The rest is up to the two people involved.

To repeat, as of March 29, 2015 POF is still 100% FREE to send/receive email to anyone. (unless the member themselves paid or otherwise, has their settings to their personal preferences that may not allow contact because of distance etc)

29th of Mar, 2015

To all the naysayers: I've used many different sites paying and non paid memberships and POF, in my experience, is the best 100% FREE to send/receive email to anyone, and to actually meet quality people face to face/in person...period! And the email exchanged or your profile isn't censored as strictly (as a matter of fact little to none except for nudity etc) as a very well know site that requires a paid membership to contact in any way, shape or form. Also even the sites people have to pay for a membership on to contact, have extra features that are optional but require even more money!

This all sounds like a bunch of nitpicking to me...and common sense has nothing to do with it.

• Fr
      4th of Apr, 2015

Plenty of fish is not free try it signup and see what happen . as soon as you recieve a mesage and you try to check that message it will ask for your credit card if you don't put your credit card you won't be able to get the mesage and I am not even a man I am a woman at least they should make it free for women ... try it sign up and you will see what I mean ...someone sent me a mesage and I could not get my mesage unless I pay... this is not free ...

4th of Apr, 2015

@friendlyghost...I don't know what you're doing wrong that you've come to the conclusion you have. I don't have to "try" it, i'm already on POF and it is, and always has been, absolutely 100% free! That's free to signup, contact, email, and receive email! I've never been ask for a credit card unless i wanted to upgrade. I don't, no reason to. But like i said, there are paying members because they want the extra options. That's a choice we ALL have. Sheesh. I repeat...the only time you cannot contact someone is when they have a 75 mile limit on the people that can contact them OR have it set to only paying members can contact them. Wow people, maybe those of you that honestly think you have to pay ought to go to the "Help" section on POF and check it out. You can do that without being a member.

• Go
      14th of Apr, 2015

There are people who want to meet you. Upgrade now to see who they are!

Seeing who wants to meet you does not seem like an "extra" feature/

15th of Apr, 2015

@GoodOlChuck That Meet Me option is a member looking at different member photos and clicking on Yes, Maybe or No, and then if a member clicks on that to see who said Yes, Maybe or No...that is when one will get that "Upgrade now to see who they are!". It is not a necessary feature to contact, or be contacted. A pretty good clue if another member wants to meet you is when they contact you or you them and they respond in kind, and that is still 100% free. When you contact or they contact you...you can see them...IF they have a photo posted, and again that is 100% free.

I have never been a upgraded/paying member on POF, and have contacted, been contacted and actually met several very nice men. POF is the only site, paying or not, that i have met so many members on and face to face...one day i will be meeting that special someone. At least the chances of doing that are better on POF then on any other site, and to do that is still 100 % free as of April 15, 2015. Happy Trails to you all!

• Ni
      6th of Jun, 2015

I agree with all the posts about the viewed me feature. POF is not a 100% free dating site that it claimed to be anymore. Now that the viewed me feature is gone I an on and off the site in a matter of a few minutes at best. The viewed me feature was the first click of the mouse and most important to me. The reason I say this is because, it enable me to see who may or may not have been possibly interested, now you are definitely in the dark on that. My interest on the site has dropped at least 50% because of this probably even more. My actions speak louder than words. So this is the beginning of a trend, that will undoubtedly loose many members.

6th of Jun, 2015

@Nick4views: I find your comment about the View Me so-called problem very odd, and totally untrue. I just went on POF clicked on "Viewed Me" and ta da it showed who viewed me, and i am NOT a paying member! I repeat, POF IS INDEED 100% FREE as of today June 6, 2015!! I'm beginning to think that those of you who keep saying that you HAVE TO PAY to contact people etc, or in this case a totally different so-called problem, simply do not know how to use the site. I do know this, there are a lot of falsehoods being said on this site about POF, and i find that unfortunate for those that might believe all of you. They are losing out on using an excellent and 100% FREE dating site. Other then being a FREE member of POF, i am not associated in any other way...so i have nothing to benefit from standing up for POF, other then expressing my experience and challenging the falsehoods being spread.

Each feature on there (or any other site) is an individual choice and option... depending on what each person considers a priority. Personally i couldn't care less about the Viewed Me feature, only who actually takes the time to contact me. ;)

I can only reiterate, check POF (Plentyoffish) out for yourself, and you will find the negativity regarding POF totally UNtrue. That is IF you take the time to learn how to use the site, of course.

6th of Jun, 2015

Seriously, the "viewed Me" feature?? LOL I just checked it out and it's alive and well and doing what it's always done...allowing me to see who "viewed me". A feature i personally couldn't care less about, but viva la difference! I care most about who actually "contacts" me, rather then who viewed me or added me to their favorites. Sheesh. Don't you people have something better to do then to spread all these falsehoods about one of the best 100% FREE sites on the net?

I reiterate, go check POF out for yourself, you won't be sorry. That is IF you take the time to actually learn how to use the site, which it seems the people spreading the falsehoods have yet to do. Anybody need any help regarding POF, contact me. I'd be glad to help. Oh yeah, other then being a 100% FREE MEMBER, i have nothing to gain from challenging the falsehoods being spread.

Hey JB$%,
    I think that you're working for POF or are linked to them someway or an other, if not why do you care so much. Taking all that precious time of yours to defend them. What's your interest? It is not 100% free, bottom line, get over it!!! Your real name must be Marcus Frind, or something Frind otherwise you would'nt care that much. Busted!!!,

28th of Jun, 2015

Hey sugarbrown...busted indeed. lol What i know is that all you naysayers regarding POF simply don't know what you're talking about. Pretty simple really, i mean if any of you bothered to actually check it out for yourselves, you would see how silly and untrue the comments made by the POF haters are. I repeat, (yes i know, falling on deaf ears apparently) yes it is 100% FREE ' to receive and contact anybody and everybody', unless THAT individual has their settings set to not accept. Thanks for your concern regarding my time, but it is MY time. Read my lips: 100% free to contact and to receive messages/email. That's all one needs to do to meet the person of their dreams...

P.S.
    I'm just sticking up for the truth (not POF)...no more, no less!

28th of Jun, 2015

I' ve signed up for POF, a few days ago actually, and find it hard to navigate ;to many features. What can i do/ can't i do? As a none paying member, a real headache!!! I'm just very desapointed not a hater. The who viewed me feature, is not free at all. Pof to me is a big let down.

30th of Jun, 2015

See, i've received several messages, but none of them we're sent to my e-mail. Nothing, nada, zilch What do you have to say about that, now!!!