Philips India Ltd / Faulty piece!

1 India Review updated:

I purchased a Philips Mini Home Theatre System in June. The model Number of the system is MCD 288/98 & the Product Serial Number is AJ020718015426 . The System is meant to play DVD's, VCD's & MP3 Players & also has a USB Connectivity so that you can play songs stored on a USB Thumb Drive. We got this system from Chroma the Electronics store situated in malad (West) Mumbai. Me & my wife were very happy when we purchased this system as it looked sleek & just perfect for our small house as we wanted to buy a home theater system but one which did not have too many speakers & one which was not huge so that the maintenance would be easy.

But our happiness lasted only for a month as within a month's time the player stopped reading the CD's . The Philips service center people visited our house & took it to the repair center & returned it back to us after almost three weeks time with damaged speakers. After much fight with them we managed to get one speaker replaced which was physically damaged. The same problem of the player not reading the CD's resurfaced in just about two months & the system had to be sent back to repairs. This time it was returned within 2 weeks time. But after about 3 months time another problem occurred & this time the player was unable to eject the CD's & even unable to play them. The system was sent again to repairs last week which was carried by the philips service center guys & returned back today but the problem still remains.

We had asked for a replacement of the piece when the problem occurred the first time within a month of its purchase but then after much promises from people at philips that it can be repaired, we agreed for its repairs. Now it is almost three times within the warranty period that the system has got damaged & again now even sent without completely diagnosing the issue. I feel very frustrated & have a feeling to just throw away the system in a trash coz its just worth the trash. But the sad thing is we have spent almost Rs. 13,000 to buy a system that does not even perform its basic function i.e playing the CD.

Comments

• Dr
      30th of May, 2008

Sir,
    I have philips DVD Video Player model No.3046/94 one year back from latur(MS). Now CD/DVD is inserted it shows no disc or unknown disc. I have shown in the same shop but they told lens is to be changed &its price is Rs 875. Is it same? please email to me.

• Ta
      16th of Jun, 2008

ON 24TH JANUARY 2008 I HAVE PURCHASED AZ1037 MP3 DC PLAYER SERIAL NO 40708 FROM M/s G.V.PUNTAMBEKAR & SONS PVT.LTD. 555 NARAYAN PETH PUNE 411030.
    HOWEVER RIGHT FROM BEGGINING THER WAS A PROBLEM WITH SELECTOR SWITCH THERFORE I CONTACTED M/s PUNTAMBEKAR FOR THE SAME .
    SINCE HE INFORMED ME TO CONTACT YOUR AUTHORISED PHLLIPS SERVICE CENTER THAT IS M/s AKHSAY SERVICE, 46 GURUKRUPA, MUKUND NAGAR, PUNE 411037. I TOOK THE SET TO THEM ON 25TH APRIL 208 & DELEVER THE SET FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF SELECTOR SWITCH. NEVER THE LESS TILL TODAY I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE SET BACK DULY REPAIRED & I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT REPAIRS OF SELCTOR SWITCH.
    THERFORE BEING SURPRISED ABOUT THE SERVICES I AM WRTTING THIS LETTER TO YOU AND REQUEST YOU TO JUSTIFY THE DELAY IN SERVICE.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT MY WORK ORDER NO OF M/s AKSHAY SERVICE IS 41221000064070 OF 25/04/2008
    AWAITING YOUR EARLIEST REPLY
    YOURS FAITHFULLY
    G.B. JOSHI

• Ve
      25th of Jun, 2008

The same thing happend to me very recently. I bought a 5-in-1 Sound machine recently and it failed to perform within a month. We took the unit to the service centre and they said that we should have given it back to the dealer from whom we had purchased. It is more than three weeks and the unit has not been given back to us.

If it takes about three weeks to diagnize the problem and service it, how awful should the manufacture be.

This is not the first problem. I had faced similar problems with Philips products in 1999 when I purchased a double deck casette recorder.

• Ni
      3rd of Jul, 2008

I had purchased a Philips LCD 32TA2800(N21), Serial No.: CQ1A0801002142 from M/s Vijay Sales, Ghatkopar (W), Mumbai. However, after installation of the same by the Authorized person of Philips Electronics India Ltd., the set began to show problems of blinking and complete blackout of the picture within a few days. I had lodged a complaint with your authorized service centre and the engineer had done only tuning and told that in future, the problem will not come up. However, again after a few days, the same problem developed and again I lodged the complaint with your service centre. After 3-4 visits by the engineer some part was changed by him and he had assured that in future the set will be functioning properly. However, even after that, the problem has not been solved and there is continuous blinking and blackout of the picture. I have again lodged the complaint with your service station, but no satisfactory response service is being received by me.

I have spent my hard earned money on purchase of the above TV and I am shocked to receive such a treatment from a reputed company like Philips.

It is evident that there is some manufacturing defect in the set which, your authorized service station is unable to rectify.

In the circumstances, I involve the warranty of the set and call upon you to immediately replace the set with a new one of the same make/model.

Since I am feeling a lot of inconvenience and mental stress due to faulty functioning of the new TV set. I call upon you to take immediate action in the matter and replace the set without any further delay.

• Ni
      11th of Aug, 2008

I had purchased a DVD Mini HiFi system model FWD 573 from Big Bazaar, City Pride Kothrud on 10th Aug 08. I got a factory packed piece from the dealer. When I installed it at home the remote did not work properly and I could switch on or off the system using remote. I did follow all the instructions given in the manual about new set of batteries of same brand, no obstacle in the system and remote. The remote was working for other functions such as volume control. The next day this also stopped and if I press any button of the remote it shows DBB and it goes to DBB 1 then 2 then 3 and then OFF. I am not able to understand whether it is the system problem or remote problem because even without using the remote the system also behaves funnily. If I press the Max button on the system and I just try to shut the glass doors of my cupboard it automatically switches to DBB mode. Even while I am reducing the volume using the radio butto on the system it swiathes to DBB.
    Please help... should I get the system replaced ... will the dealer give me a replacement.

• Sw
      17th of Aug, 2008

Why philips donot read their complaints, if not solve them.The complaints seem to be easy to handle if one considers and studies them with patience.If I am noway connected to philips have the habit of going thorugh these, why not the paid executives and CEo's
    make them selves available for this. These are people who shun Grey markets ruled by antinationals, one should be more sensitive
    towards them to bring them back to philips fold.Thats how a brand can be built and made to sustain the competition

• Aj
      3rd of Nov, 2008

I have purchased a Home theater SP080 FM on 26/4/2008. After 3 months of working, It had given very rough sound. If it is running for more than 2 hrs. it’s voice start breaking. When I complained to Philips customer care center Raj Nagar, Ghaziabad. They checked the set and replaced with new one.

But it would be more surprised to me that in new set of SP080 FM had a major problem. We cannot reduce the volume only we can increase the volume. Again Engineer brought it to his customer care center. He has done something and said now it is working fine. But how do I ensure that that set will work fine again. Even I have seen that Philips engineer in customer care center don’t not have much knowledge of the SP080.

So I want to replace the set again. But Customer care executive is not doing the same and he said that I cannot do it as Company will ask me. If you have something then contact to company. Please help me out to get it replace.

Thanks & Regards
    Ajai Prakash
    Mob: +91-98103 90070

• Ps
      24th of Nov, 2008

I purchased a Mixer cum grinder on 20-8-2008 from a retail dealer M/s Maharaja Home Appliances, #248, 4th Main Road, Coffee Board Lay out, Hebbala Kempapura, Bangalore-560024. The mixer went out of order on 26-9-2008! I took it to the shop keeper from whom I had bought the piece. He said the couplers were damaged and sent the piece to service centre through his wholesale Dealer. The service centre said that the motor was damaged and needs to be set right or replaced.
    Ifelt cheated as the mixer went out of order in about a month's time only from date of purchase. I wanted the piece to be replaced. The retail dealer refused stating that the Company does not agree! The service centre said that they will only attend to servicing by repairing defective parts or replacing them and have no authority to replace the entire piece.
    I sent awritten complaint to Philips Arena, Rajajinagar, Bangalore-560010. There has been no response! Mr.Ganesh and Mr. Sriram to whom I was referred to never attended their Phones! One lady who identified herself as Team Leader said she would sort out the issue within a coupleof days! But I have not heard anything from her so far! When I tried to contact her on the Phone No. she gave me I got a message that the Phone No. did not exist! I left my complaint on your portal which has your contact details.Though I receive a confirmation that the complaint has been registere and has been forwarded to the appropriate person for further action, nothing has transpired till date! Meanwhile The defective piece was returned to me stating that the fault has been repaired. Yesterday the mixer has again given the same trouble namely that thecouplers are damaged! Is my fate that I should be contaent with the defective piece only! Am I not entitled for a new and faultless piece? I am convinced I am! I have also told that I may be forced to seek redressal through Conumer Forum! Even then there has been no response fromyou! I never thought that a reputed firm like Philips will act in such a partisan manner!
    Hope that at least now some one in your System attends to my complaint and give me a new mixer in place of the defective piece which is giving me trouble!
    Otherwise I shal be driven to go to Consumer Forum!
    Thank you!
    Yours sincerely,
    lpsastry.

31st of Mar, 2009

My DVD player Philips LX3600D was stolen sometime back. I am left out only with the speakers (L, R, SR, SL, Center and Subwoofer) can u suggest me that from where I can get player for this system or suggest a compatible philips DVD player with built-in 5.1 amplifier to drive these speakers
    santoshdoneria@rediffmail.com

• Aj
      2nd of May, 2011

I fully agree with Sandipan Gupta. Similar experience I had faced. Never buy any Philps Products. Even Company doe'nt look into our concern. I had send mail to Company also even they don't feel to call me and inquire about my prbolems.,
    Ajit Menon