Petco / retail prices - buyer beware!

I am writing this review not to criticize the above product (which is of very good quality and performance) but rather to address the a pricing issue with the product. On 7/11/06, I bought this heater from the Johnstown, Pennsylvania Petco store. Upon checking out, I thought the price was too high when compared to Petco's online store as well as other online retailers. When I compared the prices that evening, the online price (w/o) shipping was $20 compared to the $40 I paid retail. I called both the store and Petco Inc. the following morning, and Petco representatives stated that they do not price match between the retail and online stores due to differing contract obligations. I priced the item on Amazon and with non-expedited shipping, the cost of the item would have only been $27.00.

Buyer beware - either buy from Petco's online store, another comparable online stores, or more preferably, support your local pet retailers and purchase from them as the Petco Retail Stores have basically been given a license to significantly overcharge customers. I highly doubt I will be shopping at Petco again until this policy is changed. There are other stores that price match between online and retail stores - like Circuit City - and there is no excuse for such a policy.

A  3rd of Aug, 2007 by
Petco Rewards program is a scam. If you go into the store they will tell you that you will get a coupon in the mail. If you call the number they tell you that it will automatically deduct the price from your total and that they don't send out coupons.
A  2nd of Sep, 2009 by
the petco at kissimmee fl change their prices every sunday new low prices is a scam I prefer to buy my dog and cat food at pet supermarket they always 4 to 8 dollars cheaper than petco.
the only thing I see that know one can bit is their aquatic plant and some fish. by the way their aquatics staff is very knowledgeable and always ready to help you.

Petco Animal Supplies Logo Petco Animal Supplies