PeoplePC.com / Very poor customer service!

United States Review updated:
For nearly three months, I have tried to end my services with Peoplepc. As with any contract, I have tried to do this in writing. Peoplepc does not accept anything in wiring. They will only accept phone calls.

This may not be an issue except for the fact that I have tried several times to contact customer service only to have to wait 20-30 minutes. This evening, I got through after 10 minutes. However, it took me 30 minutes to convince the service representative that I did not want any service with peoplepc for the following reasons:

* It takes too much time to get through to customer service
* They had overcharged me for a number of months. When I changed to DSL, I was asked to keep peoplepc as a backup for a mere $6.95 per month. Somewhere along the line they changed this charge to $10.97 a month. I have been negligent in not checking the invoice.
* I did not give ot them my new check card number. However, they continued to submit charges until my bank allowed it. Now when I ask for the money to be refunded, they are lying about the fact that they changed the card number once authorized by the bank. They refuse to refund my money and the reactivation fee. They contend that I authorized the new card in February but did not charge it until this week.
* The service is poor.

I hope no one falls for any of Peoplepc's manipulations. If you have to use a phone connection try Netzero or anyone else. Nothing is good about peoplepc.

Deborah Rothweiler

A  10th of Apr, 2008 by
I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.
N  8th of Jun, 2008 by
I realize that commercials are revenue for you, but those ads that continuisly have movement are very distracting and annoying. I believe that you are compromising the quality of your service.
N  8th of Jun, 2008 by
I do not like the email PREVIEW as I have to cancel the PREVIEW in order to bring up the email that I want to read. I just find this to be a nuscience. Can you cancel the PREVIEW? I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Fortunately I have not had any problems as listed on your Complaints Board above. I HAVE TYPED IN THE CONFIRMATION CODE THREE TIMES WITH NO RESULTS. WILL TRY ONE MORE TIME!!! What is going on???
A  17th of Mar, 2009 by
I just canceled my service with PeoplePc, my complaint is that when I cancel service, I do not like being grilled over and over asking about staying on People PC when I have already made my decision to cancel. Another complaint is, please get someone that can speak very clear english in your departments at PeoplePC. Also, don't transfer people from one department to another and everytime a person gets transferred they have to wait and hear the annoying music. It is like starting all over everytime a person is transferred, with questions like, what is your name, what is your phone number, why are you cancelling, let me tell you about the alternatives. If I was happy with PeoplePC do you think I would be canceling it? HELLOOOOOOOO!!! My advice is if you want a really good service, don't get PeoplePc.
N  3rd of Oct, 2009 by
I need to get peoplepc.com to remove me from their mailing list!!! I've tried everything I can think of.When I try to send Emails etc; I am asked to put in my password and so on...I am not with Peoplepc.com.Can I find anyone to do this for me instead of having to speak to someone in India who makes promises and I am still in the same prediccerent???Jim.
A  3rd of Oct, 2009 by
I AGREE WITH ZEB.ABOVE, why can I not get peoplepc to drop me from their list?When I try to answer an advert to buy something for example, I am asked to put in mypassword.with peoplepc...I AM NOT WITH PEOPLEPC!!! Is anyone listening?Jim.Email;jim.cdee@cox.net
A  3rd of Oct, 2009 by
I, ve just submitted my comment twice, above, Is nobody there?
N  29th of Oct, 2009 by
This company is the worst that I have ever dealt with. My computer crashed and I no longer needed their service, but did that stop them from trying to keep me as a customer? When I tried to explain this to them they just kept saying that they could give me a free three months. They continued to take the charges out of my charge card and when I finally stopped my credit card, they sent my bill to a collection agency for $31.87!!! I then had to pay another $8.00 to the agency that called!!! They never sent me a bill, I stopped my credit card, that didn't stop them. They are horrible. I would not advise using this company at all.

EarthLink / Windstream Services Logo EarthLink / Windstream Services