PeoplePC / Unauthorized bank account withdrawals

I cancelled my subscription in September of 2006, showed a credit of $69.60 on people pc account, got two different cancellation numbers, heard nothing for a while and now in March 2007 they are withdrawing $22.91 from my bank account. Have not been able to contact anyone in any manner whatsoever. How does a person handle this. The bank told me they can stop any auto withdrawals when people pc uses the code numbers they are using now but all they have to do is change one number of that code and they will still be successful in accessing my account. What should I do now. Any one out there have any ideas?

Comments

• Vi
      17th of Apr, 2007

PeoplePc.com - I am being charged 10.95 a month for PeoplePc. Internet I do not have PeoplePc. Internet and I tried once before to get it disconnected and they are still charging me for it. What can I do about it. I have SouthernBell internet through my telephone company and I can use my internet and still get my phone calls PeoplePc. does not have this option so I called them and told them to please to disconnect and they are still billing me. I want it stopped. If I cannot get this resolved I will cancel my bank account and they won't be able to get anymore of my money for nothing.

• Ge
      17th of May, 2007

HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEM AFTER GETTING A DSL LINE. CALLED TO CANCEL....GIVEN A FREE MONTH IN CASE THE DSL DIDN'T WORK AND THIS WEEK MONEY STOLEN OUT OF MY CHECKING ACCOUNT. GET NO SATISFACTION, CAN' T UNDERSTAND LANGUAGE (SUPPOSED TO BE ENGLISH) HAVE FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC. MAYBE THEY CAN STRAIGHTEN THIS OUT

10th of Apr, 2008

Complaints on "PeoplePC"
    Read more complaints on this Company
    PeoplePC

P.O. Box 26909
    San Francisco, California
    Phone: 631-649-4393
    www.peoplepc.com

I signed up for a 30-day free trial of PeoplePC back in November. I had gotten points through a reward program for signing up. I never once even installed it on my computer. I have internet through my cable company.

So I canceled after 3 days. I was told that everything was canceled and I would no longer be billed. So 4 months go by and my credit card had been compromised and was canceled. A few days later I get a call from PeoplePc telling me that my monthly fee could not be processed. so I called them and they tell me that when I had never canceled their service. Apparently, I had been billed every month, unknowingly. I told them that I had canceled after only a few days during my free trial and that I wanted the account closed.

PeoplePC refused to close the account until I paid them the balance on the account due to my card being declined. I continued to explain to them that I have never even used their services and that I had been fraudulently billed for the past 4 months. So that call got me nowhere.

So every day, their billing department calls about 5 times a day to collect the balance on the account. I have spoken with 14 reps and 5 supervisors. All of which have claimed they could not help me. They claim that they cannot close an account that has a balance on it.

So the harassing calls keep coming every day. Eventually I had enough. I typed out a nice letter to the California State Attorney General. I made one last attempt and called them to rectify the issue. I got some Indian guy on the phone named Bob (yeah... ok). Bob connected me with a supervisor. I explained to the supervisor the situation and informed him that if the matter could not be addressed while I was on the phone that I would be mailing my letter out to the California State Attorney General in the morning. I then proceeded to read my letter to him to let him know that I wasn't just bs'ing. Amazingly enough, he was able to go right in and zero out the balance on the account and close it. So you would think that would be the end of it, right?

WRONG!!! Every day I am still getting at least 3-5 calls per day from their billing department. When I ask why they are calling, they start to say "There is a balance on your account of...um...zero dollars." I then proceed to tell them to stop calling me or I will file a harassment suit. I have spoken with several reps and several supervisors SINCE my account has been closed (again) and NOBODY can tell me why I am continuallt being called. So today again (at 8am) they are calling me again.

So I am writing this complaint to warn everyone to STAY AWAY from PeoplePC. It is a horrible company. I will be sending out my letter to the California State Attorney General's office later today, as well as filing a complaint with the BBB. Not that the BBB really does anything. If you have similar issues with PeoplePC, I recommend contacting the Attorney General in their state. If they receive enough complaints, they will go after them. The BBB really can't do much other than send them a letter telling them they have a complaint. So the BBB is pretty useless in my opinion.

• Tr
      5th of May, 2008

i am also being charged for a service that i have canceled twice on the phone with differant representative of this company.for a few months they were not takeing any money out of my account, i thought the matter had been taken care of.Now it is may2008 and on the 5th day of this month they have withdrew 10.95 out of my account again.do we need to get a lawyer envolved in this matter or the better buisnes bureal.i cant afford to pay for a service that iam not recieveing and do not want just because this company is obviously desperate for money and feels like ripping of the consumers.

• Li
      3rd of May, 2011

I canceled my internet service with PeoplePC in January 2007. They gave me a free month in case I decide to continue with the service, and told that at the end of the free month the account will be closed. When I was looking through my bank statement in March 2007 I noticed PeoplePC is withdrawing $22.91 from my bank account. I've been trying to resolve this ever since. Apparently, my account has not been closed and they continue charging me for the service I no longer use.