Office Depot / rude store manager

United States, Pleasanton Review updated:
Office Depot has a sale on portable file size boxes at "Buy 2 and Get 1 Free". The sale begain on 1/11/09 and I went into the store at 5:20PM and they were literally out of stock. Talked to the Store Manager and he came back and offerred 2 different type of file boxes and offerred me a third box which was cheaper and less expensive. He said Office Depot doesn't have rainchecks. It was take it or leave it attitude. I questioned him about the fact that when a store offers a sale, it must have sufficient stock on hand or offer raincheck. It's the law protecting the consumer from bait & switch. In addition, I mentioned that unless the ad says limited to quantities at hand, the store must offer a substitute of equivalent value. The store manager immediately jumped me and said 'I should contact their legal and gave me some phone #.' I have never experienced such rude behavior (except Brookstone in Pleasanton Stoneridge Mall). I should have been offerred a more attractive deal or a raincheck!

Maybe the store manager should review his corporate values which includes "Customer Focus:

We fuel our customers' dreams by anticipating and listening to their needs and passionately delivering on our promises. Failure is not an option, as we promise to "wow" on recovery."

N  22nd of Jan, 2010 by
I work at Office Depot. Store Managers have no control over stock. Our stock is determined by our main offices in FL. Not sure exactly how stock is determined (more than likely by our sales), but different stores get different amounts of stock. Unfortunately The mian headquarters isn't too bright, so no, sufficient amount of product doesn't always happen ( I have experienced lack of stock and overstock...it's hit or miss). We are given instructions for substitutions, and you were in fact offered a substitution. Office Depot has a no rain check policy, again not a store managers decision. They are puppets like the rest of us. However, they should not have treated you so abruptly, that is inexcusable.

Office Depot Logo Office Depot