NTB / rip-off diagnostic

I visited an ntb dealer for an oil change and watched as the tech went around the vehicle for a diagnostic evaluation. After five minutes he came back and told me I needed new brakes all around and it would cost over $300.00.
I told him to change the oil and I would come back for the brake job later.
The next day I went to sears and told them I needed brakes. After 20 minutes or so the sears mechanic asked me why I thought I needed brakes. I told him someone had checked them and told me I needed new brakes. The sears mechanic showed me the brakes and that they had over 60% pad left and that they were wearing evenly. He said I did not need new brakes.
I went back to ntb and talked to the manager who in turn got the mechanic. The mechanic told me he had calibrated the brakes and that they were in need of replacement. I told him that he couldn't have calibrated the brakes since he never even took the tires off. I told the manager I would never be back.
After e-mailing ntb and received a call back from the regional manager. He was very apologetic and asked me to be patient and that he would reimbursement ober $70.00 for my sears bill for doing a proper brake evaluation since I would have never had a brake inspection if not for ntb's mechanic. He also promised me coupons for free oil changes. I did get the coupons but never got any money back.
A few years prior to this incident, the same ntb claimed I needed a front-end alignment which I had checked by my chevy dealership. They said my front-end was fine. I only went back to ntb because I thought that after 2 years they had straightened their vineland store out. Unfortunately, I am beginning to see a pattern of false diagnostic work and fraudulent activity.
I am writing a letter to the bbb and the nj state attorney generals office.

Ma

Comments

• B
      15th of Nov, 2008

The NTB here in Blue Springs, MO (just outside Kansas City) just tried a similar scam on me. I took it in for four new Michelin tires and foolishly took them up on a free alignment check. Not surprisingly, they said that my alignment was off and I needed a $100+ alignment service, or my new tires would likely not wear correctly. Oddly enough, the tires that were just removed had no unusual wear after 52, 000 miles and the car never drove with any indication of alignment problems. To top off this visit from hell, I watched as the tech "road tested" my vehicle like he was qualifying for NASCAR. Once again, there is no such thing as a good deal.