Northstar Companies / Awful experience

Northstar Companies
4285 Genesee St
Phone: 866-677-2569
I had been working with this individual regarding a settlement that Bank Of America sold off from my credit card debt. I had been waiting for a wire transfer from a relative to pay this off. I received a call Wed. the 25th at my place of employment. I told this individual I could not speak to him at the time and I would call him back. Well Thursday I received a call from this individual who proceeded to use abusive language.

He told me I was ignorant, irresponsible and that I needed to grow up and why don't I call people back. Asked what I had left to show from using the credit card, old clothes, pictures? Told me to go home and look at myself in the mirror and say that I am partially responsible for the economic state of the nation. He demanded to be transferred to my HR Dept. so he could tell them what an irresponsible employee they had.

If I would of been thinking clearly, I would have transferred him to the fax machine. As the conversation drug on, he pressured me to borrow MORE money from the relative that lent me an initial downpayment. He says if I could get 1500.00, I could get 1000.00 more.

I told him I contacted the Bank of America which I did, and he called me a liar. I read off part of the e-mail I received back from BOA. He told me to start crying my tears for in front of the judge and then wait until they garnish 500.00 from my wages. He yelled at me asking 'where is the 2500.00 Ms. Doe, where is the 2500.00?'

He told me I was recorded admitting I had spent the money but I was never informed that any conversations were being recorded. I believe BY LAW, I should have been informed prior to the conversation. He proceeded to degrade me so I had a co-worker come over and listen to what he was saying to me. That's not a recording is it?

He kept going on and on, blah-blah-blah-yada-yada so I just hung up on him. I then called back and was passed to his Supervisor who was as classless as the other guy. He raised the amount by another 1000.00 to which I replied 'Is that your cut?'

I told him I was waiting for the wire transfer which turned out to be a problem due to the routing number being incorrect. He wanted to know why a check was not mailed or why it was not sent overnight Fed-Ex. Said I was blowing smoke up his ### claiming I didn't have the money nor even planned to. He says he will give me until Saturday then hung up on me.

I immediately hired a debt collection lawyer and he says I have a good claim against this guy for abusive and unfair debt collection practices. On a side note, people like that need to maybe think before they go off on somebody. They don't know what kind of ties their 'victim' has nor what resources they have available. I intend to pursue this to the fullest extent so this guy will have no future in this occupation. How does he sleep at night?

A  9th of Mar, 2009 by
As a former collections rep I can tell you, for a fact, he broke many of the F.D.C.P.A. (Federal Debt Collections Practices Act) laws. Many "collectors" assume that 85-90% of the "clients" they are collecting from are ignorant of these laws, which, unfortunately, is true. I would suggest to anyone that is being harassed by collection agencies to read-up on the F.D.C.P.A.
A  5th of Oct, 2009 by
I just got a call from these guys as well. After reading the F.D.C.P.A., I can thoroughly say that these guys broke EVERY aspect of the law.

When they call, they just ask for the name of the person they are looking for repeatedly and refuse to identify themselves until you tell them your name, BUT EVEN AFTER THAT, the continue to REFUSE to identify themselves other than saying they are with "Northstar". They WILL NOT tell you their company address or give you any means to contact them (to dispute the debt, etc.). I had asked REPEATEDLY only to be met with increasing verbal abuse and outright personal insults each time I asked.

When you ask to speak to a supervisor, they flat out refuse and hang up on you. If you call back ten times or so like I did, you eventually just get transfered to some other Italian mafioso wannabe telephone tough-guy who is even more verbally insulting and abusive.

A  2nd of Feb, 2010 by
I just had a similar conversation I'm going to radio shack to by a recorder.
Good Luck Everyone
A  3rd of Feb, 2010 by
same here! lets get in touch and take care of this legally.
N  15th of Feb, 2010 by
I just had a similar experience. In addition, they called my and my husband's parents. I have looked up the debt collection rules on the Federal Trade Commission website and believe there could be an excellent case for a class action lawsuit. I recorded my conversation with the person from Northstar, and I recommend anyone else affected do the same. Is there anyone out there interested in starting a class action lawsuit? Any lawyers out there interested?
A  4th of Jun, 2010 by
Wow. You all have had awful experiences w/this company! What a travesty. I can tell you that I had a similar situation with a different collection agency years ago. I WISH I had known about the Federal Debt Collections Practices Act at that time. He caused me lots of mental anguish. I say that you all should "Go for it!" with a class action lawsuit. These kind of people need to be put in their place and be made to realize that goombah tactics DO NOT bode well for cooperation. Besides, with today's economy how do they know your financial situation?? Things in life change that can cause hardships for people that are not necessarily any of there business beyond a general description. I'm rooting you you all to persevere & come out on top of your situations!
A  10th of Aug, 2010 by
Same thing from same number and company!!! This individual did give his name, however. He talks over top of me when I am talking to him making excuses for his behavior and threats to me. He called my former employer asking questions including when I left employment there. After discovering my ex-husband's social security number on my credit report, he called my ex-husband of more than 25 years, living in a different city claiming he had legal documents he needed signed within 48 hours. He called my daughter claiming he had a job offer to talk to me about. This man/company has no scruples!!!
N  20th of Sep, 2010 by

Northstar Companies - rude, unpofessional, inappropriate
Northsatr Companies
New York
Phone: 866-677-2569

A rude, unprofessional, ignorant man called my house demanding I tell him who I am. He said inappropriate things to the point where I had to hang up on him. This company should be put out of business for their tactics.
N  9th of Dec, 2010 by
I just had my first encounter with this company yesterday 12/8/10. I returned a call and spoke with Crystal Quinn 866-677-2825. She talked over me as I proceeded to request the the name of the company and the address. Without notice, I was on the line with Jason Mills who wanted to know what was my problem. I said no problem I just need the name of the company and the address. As I am from California I had difficulty with the the name CHEEKTOWAGA as he repeated the name so fast and was annoyed when I asked for the spelling. He said Bank of America referred to matter to them on Saturday 12/4/10. I advised I have not received a letter from North Star. Then again with no notice, Crystal came back on the line and again talking over me as I tried to advise her I will not discuss my account with Bank of America until I have a letter from them and have confirmed their representation with Bank of America. She said I was refusing to cooperate. I strongly denied this allegation and asked if a letter had been sent and was it sent certified. The letter was allegedly sent 12/4/10 but not certified and I have not yet received it. I did record this conversation and will record all others.

If anyone has this company's name as it appears with the NY Secretary of State I would appreciate it. I could not find them doing a business search. I also will research the names of the officers and try to locate a website.

I am 60, unemployed, money is very tight and job prospects are few. My credit was excellent until I became unemployed. I plan to become well versed in the FDCPA. I thank those of you who have written before me.

Debbie in Los Angeles
A  18th of Dec, 2010 by
This company called my home this morning at 8am, yeah thanks on a Saturday, asking for my ex- husbands's brother-in-law. My husband answered and of course he didn't know who he was and when he said so the man became very rude. Here is some info I found on them:
Business Name: Northstar Location Services, LLC
Mr. Aaron Castle, COO

Hope this helps someone.
Christa in NH
A  19th of Dec, 2010 by
Thank you for the informaton. I still have not received their letter of representation.
A  1st of Mar, 2011 by
If someone is dealing with a lawyer in regards to this company, please post their information. This company has been so abusive to me and everyone I know. Threatening to take me to jail, hanging up on me, leaving messages. Calling people I have nothing to do with and giving them full information on what is going on with my personal finances. I am so stressed due to this company, so please let me know if there is a lawyer who can help.
N  1st of Mar, 2011 by
Call your state's Bar association and ask for a free 30 minute consult with an attorney who deals with these cases. Google "your state" bar association. Call and get some guidance.

It appears their compliance officer needs some training. I requested a "Validation of Debt Letter" and all I received were copies of past statements. This does not meet the requirements of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (often called the "FDCPA").
N  17th of Oct, 2012 by
Wow I've read many of these complaints written by people about interactions with debt collection agencies and I have had a few myself .
Its hard to believe that this is common business practice to collect monies owed .
Who the FU@# do these people think they are ??!!
And to think that ### like this have a job .
I wonder if they are proud of their employment .
Bet ya a $100.00 if you would meet them on the street they would never talk to you the same way they did one the phone .

NorthStar Alarm Services Logo NorthStar Alarm Services