North Star Alarm Servicescontract cancelling

M

Please do not sign a contract with this company. I was told I could cancel before June 6 of 2009 (which is also on my contract)as they wanted to promote there services because we were in a new subdivison and my home was on a corner lot. Well when I called in after I was charged unauthorized charges to my account to cancel the service I was told the salesman made a mistake and I had to cancel 3 days after services so I could not cancel and they would file a collection on me if I did not continue to pay them. I am very upset with this company not only that I can not cancel but there service along with customer service is horrible. I am now having to get a attorney involved as I do not want the service and by my contract I have the right to do so.

They still continue to charge me services even after I have called to cancel. My last conversation with them is if they do not come and pick up there equipment the contract states I can dispose of at my free will.

I will keep you all posted of the outcome.

• Sc
    Scott Follmer Nov 23, 2017

I was told at the time of signing the contract that it was a 2 year contract. Nothing in the paperwork the salesman left talked about the length of contract. However, the paperwork the tech left behind did state it was a 5 year contract. I tried to cancel 4 months into the contract and was told I'd have to pay well over $2k to end contract. That is when I found out it was a 5 year contract which I went back and looked at the paperwork from when I signed and the info the salesman left mentioned nothing about length of contract, but the paperwork the tech left behind did state 5 years, as I already stated. So, the salesman (I won't mention his name) lied to me about the length of contract. Plus, and this is my bad, but I allowed him to pitch me even though my door has a "No Solicitation" sign on it. He just caught me at a time where I was distracted with my son. I had bought the home a month prior and the neighborhood isn't the greatest. The "No Solicitation" sign was on the door when I bought the home, however, I had never had a "No Solicitation" sign on any prior dwellings. I left it on the door because I don't want solicitations, however, not used to having one, forgot it was there when I answered the door for the salesman. I already agreed it was my bad for allowing him to pitch me and play on my ignorance, however, it took him ignoring a posted sign to even knock on my door. I really wish I had just told him good luck. Now, I am stuck with a 5 year contract instead of what I was told/sold was to be a 2 year contract.
    I will tell people to be very cautious in doing business with this company.
    #northstarwillnevergetmybusinessagain

• Eb
    eberiga Aug 30, 2017

HORRIBLE, DECEPTIVE, AND FRAUDULENT

• Eb
    eberiga Aug 30, 2017

NorthStar Alarm Company based in Utah- Is a prejudice, discriminate against black people, I have never been treated this badly by a company, stay away please! This is a horrible company to do business with, this country is going through hell right now  to fight prejudice and bigotry, this company is embracing it by defrauding an older black woman, I know if I was white I wouldn't be treated this way. How can you people sleep at night knowing you people trained your sales people to be shady and deceitful and especially rip off vulnerable black woman. I went through the internet, google your company found out I was not the first one your company was deceitful to. This is wrong, where is your conscience, where is your integrity, I understand you have a business to run, you don't have to  rip off old black women to get rich, God will judge your company.

On June 11, 2017 Aaron Wagstaff and his crew was in my neighborhood, selling Alarm Service, I invited him into my home, heard the presentation, I like what I was told about the company, he ran my credit told me he could offer this service only if I had A1 credit. I was told I can sign up for 12 months, I need to call prior to 12 months or the contract would be renewed automatically. I did as I was advised by the sales person (Aaron Wagstaff  [protected] that's his phone number).When I informed the customer service rep I want to discontinue my service with the company, because I was not pleased with the service I am receiving, I was told  I had to pay$4200.00 to get out of the contract, because I signed the contract for 42 months, I do remember signing the electronic contract, I trusted Aaron, he told me the documents I was signing electronically is the same as the paper ones I signed. I believed him, because I was looking at the documents I signed.
    I had no reason not to believe the sales person, I was shocked, upset to learn I was duped into signing contract for an alarm company for 42 months. Who does that, this is unethethical, not good business practice, and This Company should be upfront and transparent.

EBERIGA

• Sc
    Scott Follmer Nov 23, 2017

@eberiga Same thing happened to me. Only I was told 2 years and ended up being a 5 year contract.

• Tr
    Trish Fields May 09, 2016

Worst security system I have ever had. I am elderly and they pushed fast talked - it was hard to keep everything straight. The alarm has been in for over a year and never has properly worked. Have to wave your hand back and forth in front of the motion sensor to get it to set. The garage door opener fobs maybe worked every 10 times of trying. When we did get an alarm it took from 1-3 days to be notified via phone. Now my garage door opener was really acting up and I called someone out and they advised that the alarm techs had messed up the wiring and I had to replace the garage door opener. Got nervous and had the electrician check Northstar wiring and was told that it is messed up. I will not allow one of their techs back into my home. Now I am going to have to battle them to cancel the "Agreement". I was told that this was an Agreement...not a Contract and that after 1 year it could be cancelled. Doubt that will happen. I have sent letters to Northstar and to the Utah Attorney General. I am unemployed and on a fixed income...shame on Northstar for the way that they are treating people.

Lillian M. White Nov 10, 2015

I kept my end of the contract! I want to terminate services and now I'm told there is another clause to the contract. This company is bad news! Their equipment don't even work. I'm not satisfied and I no longer want a relationship with this company.
    I'm contacting the Better Business Bureau and other resources to severe ties with Northstar Alarm.

• Gr
    greg sanford Mar 13, 2015

March 2015 I guess the lies fly from city to city. My salesman Chad, in Houston claims to be an owner as well as a great personal friend of Donald Trump. No that's where I should have read thru the BS and laughed this guy out of my house. He did 3 different places for us and we have had at least 12 different false alarms 2 of which no one...that's right no one called on their box or our cell phone. Along with that they were to install cameras and after 3 months begged out of the install promising a $900 refund. Now I'm told they never charged the cameras to us and if you look back at our "contract" in hand writing by a kindergarten child, you cant make heads or tales of what we were supposed to get Contract or no contract I don't need credit and will not be bullied. I'm not paying. And for those saying read the contract, I ask you to find the part that says we are still bound to pay service to a company that gets signature up front and then does not deliver or refund and on top of that gives us a system that just goes off at leisure. We have no confidence in this system that should make us feel safe We also are will be bringing an attorney into this mess

• Al
    Alana B. Jan 29, 2015

Agree with this stance (and wish I'd seen it before I was scammed, too)! This company is not willing to work with their clients, unless they are misleading them into signing a contract for their services. I was very clear to the representative that came to my door that I was renting a property for just a few years. If I had realized they were talking me into agreeing to five years of service, I never would have done so. They should not be able to provide service for short-term renters, if they do not have a plan for short term service (and their representatives are not upfront about it). Also, like most good businesses that truly work for their customers, they should have a reasonable cancelation option, even if it's a fee, like AT&T, Comcast, or other reliable home services offer. I was shocked that they talk you into the plan and then are not willing to work with you after the papers are signed. Making renters sign an agreement for a HOMEOWNER's security system seems illegal. The things they are good at are coaching their sales representatives to mislead clients, writing misleading contacts, and not providing quality customer service.

• Mr
    MrsBoyce Dec 19, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the person writing the "good" things for this company keeps saying the exact same thing just look for Anais M. each time, they don't even have the guts to change it up a bit. I have had security with a few different companies in the past and would have to agree that everything people are saying is TRUE! This company lies,

• Th
    thagger Sep 08, 2014

I am very disappointed in this fraud company
    . I will tell everyone NOT to be duped in this company. You can not cancel if you have a hardship. This Is a pathetic and lying company.

• He
    HerbieSue Jul 25, 2014

They sold a system to my 83 year old father. He has a dog and wrought iron gates and DID NOT need an alarm. He does not know how to work it. I find it appalling that they prey on the elderly. My dad is moving to a nursing and is still in denial that the guy had him sign a five year contract. Remember the generation that didn't lie, cheat or steal, much less target the elderly for personal gain? Well, my dad is of that generation and I really resent people that take advantage of his trusting nature!

Liz Tabbutt & Mary Orozco Jun 23, 2014

We had a rep. from North Star come into our home and tell us that he was here to upgrade our system because North Star had bought out our previous security system business, so we agreed. He explained how the company was growing and now had acquired the previous business and that we would be totally satisfied with this company. We were recorded in their telephone conversation saying yes we knew that they were not affiliated with the other company, but really come on of course we would say yes because, under false pretense, we believed that they had bought it out and there was no other company. Now we have been trying to cancel the contract because we believe that we were lied to and we ONLY agreed because we believed that rep and all his lies. Well North Star will not cancel our contract because well we signed it. It does not matter that we signed it because the rep. lied, or that he misrepresented the company. It does not matter to North Star because we signed and a contract is a contract. We asked them point blank if this was the way they got all their business because that was dispicable on their part if it was a common practice in their company. We were told it did not matter because again a contract was a contract. We are so unbelievable disgusted, angry, and very sadden that this is how this company operates. We have no choice but to stay with this company for the next 5 years because we signed a contract under complete false pretense, but hey oh well at least they have our business, right? It does not matter that we do not want to be with that company and that we were very happy with our previous security system company, no it does not matter because we signed a contract. How far we have fallen from honesty and truth. We will do whatever we can to try to get the word out about this company and their reps. We understand that the reps. are the ones that mislead people, but they are doing it under this company. We feel that this company should allow us to break the contract if it was done through false statements and complete lies.

• Si
    Sickoftherunaround Jun 26, 2013

Talk about disappointment!

We signed up for North Star service one year ago. We had a technician come out and uninstall it for a move. He damaged our home, informed us that we were paying to much and should switch to him when our contract was up.

Not to mention he sat on our couch and propped his feet up on our furniture. We chose not to have him come back to reinstall our equipment. We have been waiting for 24 days to get it reinstalled. We have received nothing but the run around! When I ask them when it becomes a default of the contract on their end they inform me it doesn't work that way! We are extremely disappointed in everything we've had to deal with! And they could care less!

Currently waiting for a call back from a manager. Next stop better business!

• Co
    consumer22 Jan 05, 2012

I will have to say that Mr. Billingsley has done an exceptional job in working with our case. We have reached to an agreement which I am satisfied with. Not sure what happened to the actual sales person that created this whole mess. Hopefully he learned a lesson, the same way I did GET EVERYTHING IN WRITTING!!!
    Thanks Northstar for owning up to promises made, I truly appreciate it.

• Co
    consumer22 Nov 30, 2011

also got ripped off by this company. The ADVERTISING DIRECTOR MICHAEL WALKER from Indianapolis came to my home and said he would REIMBURSE the fee to break my contract with my current alarm and change to Northstar.
    He gave me a whole lecture on how his company gave him money to allocate to just about 10 houses as advertising. He wanted us to be one of those houses and he SWORE so many times in our faces that we will get reimbursed that money. As soon as I try to contact him thought email AND phone to get paperwork ready. His Northstar email bounced and he is not returning my calls. I have just had to pay almost $700 to get out of my old contract which was almost ending and now I got sucked into a new 5 year with this low life company. Shame on all of them. They are supposed to protect you from thieves…but unfortunately they are the biggest THIEVES of all!
    Thank you NORTHSTAR, thanks to you “I DO HAVE PIECE OF MIND”(for those not familiar with them; this is their freaking slogan)
    By the way... that sign that has to stay in the yard for 5 years… yep, it will have an additional one right next to it.
    It will be fun, look for it soon all over the internet. I’m working on it!

• We
    wez007 Aug 11, 2011

We have had Northstar for almost 5 years, we are moving out of our house and the new owners don't want it. So now we are stuck paying for the next 9 months of service. It would be nice if they would implement some sort of termination fee in these instances. But knowing what I know now, we will never sign another long term contract again, with any company. Really it is foolish to assume you will need or be able to afford something for that long. When the economy tanked we really could have used the extra $40 per month that we have been paying. There are many other alarm companies who do not require long contracts and are more reasonably priced. So while it is understandable that people are frustrated, the fact is that a contract was signed. We were dumb enough to sign it, we must deal with the consequences. So for us the bottom line is this: Lesson Learned!!!

cherry377 Jul 31, 2011

THAT REP GUY WOULD'NT HAPPEN TO BE NAME NATHAN

cherry377 Jul 31, 2011

i'm in arkansas . i was to charge, and told them i wanted out of my contract, they charge took 150 .00 out then its costing me 55.13 . i have told them to come get there stuff and seal the hole, and want my money back . they wont let me get out of my contract either . i told the better business and they did nothing . now i'm stuck paying . yeah i had a guy, told me the same thing, that they were trying to promote there business .
    i did'nt want this .

Linkya May 06, 2011

I love my Northstar Alarm, I had it installed two years ago and not once had a problem with it. The boy who sold it to me was so nice and respectful. I knew what I was getting into by signing the contract. Dont be stupid! Read the contract before you sign. The tech who installed the system was also a sweet heart. I had ATD before and it was horrible. Cops always coming for false alarms. Anyway who ever bad mouths this company can piss off cause your the idoit who signed before you read!

anaismnorthstar Mar 31, 2011

As part of the corporate communications team at NorthStar Alarm, please know that your encounters with a few of our sales reps and feedback have helped us identify and successfully resolve many of the issues mentioned in some of the comments above. We apologize for these unfortunate occurrences, but thank you for helping us continue to grow and improve our business practices.

Our representatives must follow a very thorough process with any new contract. To clarify any misunderstandings that may occur, there is then a recorded Quality Assurance call that reconfirms the individual's understanding of the terms. After the system is installed there is a 2nd Quality Assurance call that once again reconfirms that the system was installed according to the customer’s expectations and specifications on the agreement, that they understand how to use it, and that they understand the terms of their contract.

If you have encountered a sales representative who you feel intentionally mislead you or have had any other situations that have not been addressed or resolved, please contact me directly as soon as possible so I can assist you.

Anais M.
    Phone: 801.373.7827 ext. 100
    Email: [email protected]

• Go
    Goodfriend Mar 23, 2011

I used to work as a door-to-door sales rep. for NorthStar Alarm Services. Here's my experience. Alarm systems are a legitimate home security safeguard. I heard about NorthStar at a booth at a basket ball tournament I attended. They told me to come check out their business and they would hold an interview there. They said things that made me think I would make lots of money and be selling high quality equipment. At the meeting they provided lots of food and showed a video of other sales reps who loved selling for Northstar. A very high energy presentation. They also talked about their core values of honesty and integrity and service. I took the bait. Then they have you attend a training session where they teach you ddor-to-door sales techniques. Pretty clever if you ask me. They always have you start with a line: "Hi, my boss wanted me to ask you if I could place this sign in your yard..." then they tell you exactly where they want you to place it. In the training they tell you to look for something unique about the property and tell that to the home owner. Then they give you a very tricky way of getting your foot into the homeowners door. It worked because I got into almost every door I approached. Using fear tactics you tell them that a person could smash through the door easily and show them vulnerable spots in your home. It always surprised me how easily people let me walk around their home.

We were also taught to give them the equipment for fee, but they would have to pay for the services. But then, when it came time to sign the contract, you would try to upgrade the equipment also, to include other non-free equipment. I later learned almost every alarm company gives you that "free" bit of equipment for free. They give you the wall panel piece for free. Everything else costs you money. What good is a wall panel without the sensors around the house.

I also found out while selling, that the fire dept., police department and emergency services may not actually come to your home if you call for help on the alarm. They don't go because of the number of false alarms that cost the city a great deal of money. Before purchasing any alarm, check with your emergency services providers to see their stipulations for such events. In the area I was selling, emergency services would not respond unless a confirmation phone call had been made. At that point, the intruders could have come, done their business and gone.

Any phone calls that are made to their "boss" are really phone calls to a secretary who has no idea who you are, even though the sales person may talk about you and your home with their "boss" like they had spoken before about putting an alarm system on your property. When it's time to sign the contract, the salesperson is taught to put the contract in an envelope and seal it. Then they tell you to place it someplace safe, so it won't get lost or stolen. This is done to keep you from reading the fine print and not canceling your contract within the time limit. I made a lot of money this way. Because if you cancel, I don't get my commission. I still have guilt for doing this to people. I hated doing it then, and I feel terrible about it now. So, yes, they do try to keep you from reading the fine print. I quit after a month of selling, even though it was very lucrative for me. I felt as though the company lacked the very core values they taught. And yes, all the techniques and shadiness go all the way up the chain to the owners. Jason and Ryan and I don't remember the rest anymore. My manager put a lot of pressure on us to sell. We were out there 6 days a week for 10 hours a day. When I left, they wanted me to pay a contract cancellation fee. Since when do you have to pay a fee to quit employment?

Nothing about this company is good - stay away.

• Fg
    FGarcia Mar 16, 2011

Austin Anderson, a North Star representative showed up to my door last week in our new home in El Paso, TX. Talk about a pushy sales man, he claimed he needed advertising homes in my area. I told him I would have to talk to my wife, and wanted to do some research on his company, he seemed upset and left. Thankfully I found this page and learned more about these people.

I also talked to one of my neighbors who got their alarm with NorthStar. He is not happy about his contract, apparently he was told he was just signing a 6 month agreement, but later after reading the contract, he found out it was a 60 month contract, with an automatic 18 month contract renewal. He had later been approached by another company, who offered more and better equipment, a lower monthly payment, and a 36 month contract. He was not happy, as he is stuck for 60 + months paying more for less. Boy, am I glad I didn't sign anything with this Austin guy!

This company is too dishonest, I can see why they lie about the fact that they are selling a service with a contract longer than a car loan, so much for the "free security system for advertising", but please have some respect for people.

I will never do business with this NorthStar company, thankfully their sales man was pushy and rude, and helped me make the right decision on the spot.

• Im
    i-man Jan 27, 2011

I was duped by them too. I was told that there was NO contract by the installer, that I only needed to sign to start the service. Their business is based on long contracts, that way they dont have to worry about keeping people happy or being competitive with their pricing. Avoid them.

Maria Sconfienza Dec 07, 2010

These people are scam artists. The sales man i spoke to told me that i had 18months to try out the system. He even circled the 18th month part on the contract. He explained that the 5 year term did not apply to me telling me that they were looking for people to help advertise in my new area and that because i helped them do that i had a 18month trial period. Yeah not so much... All these people are liars and i hope the 20 bucks that guy made in comission helps him sleep at night knowing how many people he ripped off! [censor].

• Ya
    yardman1234 Nov 22, 2010

So many with the same problem, yes they are going to take me to collections and thats good, i wrote 3 different times to cancel my contract, in time . Now they say they have no records of it. they cashed my checks and it is also on the for: section, When they turn me in, I will notify all to start this class action lawsuit, I already have the attorney and i will get this company for bad practice.They want to keep calling me and harrass me, and i just tell them, thats their problem. They tell me that they do not keep any paperwork, so they just throw away all that comes into them.. I will not pay them, and when it is turned in for collections and hurts my credit, then i will start...

• Ha
    Happynow22 Nov 02, 2010

Dont ever sign a contract with this company. It's a scam. I took me months of calling every day to get out of my contract. I think that they finally just got tiered of me wasting theur time, so they let me out of it. I needed to drop the contract because I sold the house that i was using their system for.

• Fe
    Fed up in Kyle, TX Oct 11, 2010

My elderly mother who was living alone got duped by a Northstar rep into signing a contract for an alarm system. He promised her all the same things that others on this forum were promised. Well two years into her contract she became ill and was no longer able to live on her own. She called and wrote the company telling them she would be moving into a facility where she could not have the services transfered. She told them that her house was being sold and they needed to come pick up their equipment. They refused. They told her that it didn't matter what the circumstances were, she was obligated to pay the remaining 3 years of the contract. They never picked up their equipment and she put a stop payment at her bank on their automatic withdrawal. They made threatening phone calls and sent nasty notices and then turned her over to the credit bureaus and ruined her credit. Being an elderly person who had NEVER not paid a bill and who always had impecable credit, this took a toll on her. She fretted and worried about it daily. No amount of talking to her and telling her they were the crooks not her would do any good to stop her from worrying herself sick. THESE PEOPLE ARE [censor] AND THEY PREY ON THE ELDERLY AND THE ILLITERATE AND THE NON-ENGLISH SPEAKERS. I am turning them into the the Texas Attorney Generals Consumer Complaint department and I suggest everyone on this forum do the same. Maybe, we can get something done about them if the AG goes after them.

• Bo
    bobbuii Sep 20, 2010

Northstar is the BAD of the BAD.They have to many TRAPS in their contract so you must be careful when you sign it but BETTER all STAY AWAY FROM NORTH STAR ALARM.

• Ba
    Bad Company 6 Aug 27, 2010

Awaiting Allocation and Dispatch

• Au
    austinkris Aug 18, 2010

Please refer to this blog. This is a REAL company that has terrible business practices. All empolyees should be ashamed of themselves. http://grahamcohen.com/2010/01/northstar-alarm-services/

• Do
    does any display work Aug 12, 2010

NORTH STAR ALARM IS HORRIBLE DO NOT CHOOSE THEM, THEY WILL LIE TO YOU ANYWAY THEY CAN TO WRAP YOU UP IN THEIR 5 YEAR + CONTRACT, THEY HAVE A "C" RATING WITH THE BBB, READ ALL THE COMMENTS ABOUT NORTHSTAR ALARM!!! I AM PAYING FOR AN ALARM SYSTEM THAT DOES NOT WORK AND STUCK IN A CONTRACT FOR ANOTHER 4 YEARS - WILL HAVE SPENT $3000 WHEN ALL SAID AND DONE.

MY GOAL IS TO POST THIS ON EVERY MESSAGE BOARD I CAN FOR EVERY DAY THAT I AM IN THIS CONTRACT HOPEFULLY 4 YEARS WORTH OF COMMENTS WILL SAVE SOMEONE FROM USING THIS SERVICE. HOPE THIS CATCHES SOME GOOGLE TAGS: NORTHSTAR ALARM FRAUD NORTHSTAR ALARM LIE NORTHSTAR ALARM BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE (SPENT 40 MINUTES ON THE PHONE WAITING FOR A REP TO TELL ME HE COULDN'T HELP ME) NORTHSTAR ALARM LIARS NORTHSTAR ALARM SCAM

• Do
    does any display work Aug 11, 2010

Hate this company!!! I agreed to take over this contract when I bought the house from previous owners because they couldn't get out of the contract with Northstar. Northstar would not let me just take over the previous owners contract they made me sign a new one for 16 months. I have digital phone WHICH DOESN"T WORK WITH THEIR SYSTEMS and I'm not about to give them more money for their cellular crap. I'M NOT EVEN USING THE *$&^ system and yet I STILL have to pay them money for the next 4 years. HATE THIS COMPANY, DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS 5 YEAR + CONTRACT!!! Should have gone with my gut and told the seller to deal with the crap they had signed up for in the first place. I will find every website possible starting now to complain about this company! Gonna be out $3000 after all is said and done. I have complained with the BBB as well as multiple other sites to warn others, I advise others the same.

• Mi
    Mike Jun 18, 2010

These guys are totally shady. Had 3 years of no problems, but then bought a new home. Called a couple months before my 36 month term ended to see about moving the service or canceling, and the agent conveniently left out a reminder of the 60 day clause. Decided to cancel, called within the 60 days to do so, and the rest is history. Yes it's a contract, but please be advised that this is a company whose business model relies on deception and fine print, and there will be zero tolerance if you don't follow your contract to the T.

• Ba
    Barkleyjsu May 29, 2010

Saved myself from about five year's worth of headaches because of the comments you all provided. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to help keep people like me and my family from making a horrible mistake. I was able to stop my contract before the guy left the neighborhood and insist that the tech stop the install. The manager of my salesperson accompanied him back to my house, and when I demanded my canceled check be returned, he looked a bit surprised that his salesperson had to fish it out of his wallet. So, to those of you who have posted that this company is reputable and that others should just "pay their bills" and "fulfill" contract obligations, what do you think about a company that sends sales people out like the one I had...just askin"?

• Go
    going to get even Apr 20, 2010

My wife and I signed a contract mid "08" and had explained to the salesman that we planned on buying a home before the 5 year contract would be void. They told us that we could have the system installed in the new home when that time came or leave it for the new tenants of the old house. I was also told at this point that if we didn't want to keep the system upon moving, we could submit a 60 day notice to cancel the contract and that signing the contract /initial was just a procedure.Well, we bought a new home with an state of the art monitoring system and (which we got for 24.99 a month for the first year)with a contract that states the charge will not rise above 28.00 amonth after plus after the first year we can renew year to year...no 5 year contract. Crazy, huh?
    With calling Northstar again they just told me that I'm obligated to pay them for the next three years, regardless. If for any second I thought I was being duped by the two salesmen who'd come to my door and miss led me about the 60 day contract cancelation upon moving --I would have slammed the Damn door in their face.

• Hy
    hysterical with reason Mar 28, 2010

A Northstar rep came in my house and got all kinds of information from me by telling me he worked for Honeywell. He lied so much about so many things and did NOT leave me any copy of the contract so that I could cancel in 3 days, but he had to come back so that I could talk to the company for him and I DEMANDED a copy at that time and that's the only reason I was able to cancel. I called him on a Sunday from work (he knew where I worked because I had given him that information. He kept insisting he could come over to my house--the contract was all canceled by this time and there was no need for him to come over to my house, he just knew that would scare me. I finally said, "If my house gets broken into today, the police will know that you did it." Two Sundays later, my house was broken into and the two things I had told him were the only reason I needed an alarm system, my computer and my beloved dog (who is a mutt and not worth a penny, but to me she is priceless) were gone when I got home. He had changed his cell phone number. Checked his background on the Internet and he has a rap sheet a mile long--he is a known felon. Oh, I did get the dog back, because some kind people found her, severely injured and a long way from home, where he must have taken her, and took her to the Emergency Clinic. CAN YOU IMAGINE ANYTHING, EVEN A DRUG ADDICT LIKE THIS NORTHSTAR REP BEING SO VILE AS TO HURT A LITTLE DOG JUST OUT OF SPITE????? These people are not just dishonest, they are DANGEROUS!!!

• Th
    thomas1 Feb 25, 2010

Well let me just say, I had a north star rep knock on my door last night. He started out by telling me how perfect my house was in that it was located on a corner lot, and in a new sub-division.
    Here's his initial statement. " if you will allow North Star the privilege of placing one of our signs in your front yard, North Star will provide you with our services for free. Now that's a pretty clear promise and a clear statement. North Star, not the police or anyone else would provide their services for FREE.

However, by the time he completed his scam of a conversation, he was asking for the last 4 of my social security number and trying to explain why I would have to pay about $50 a month for some other fee's that were out of North Stars control.

Well here's the deal. I can't wait for them to try and show up to install it. I will laugh then right out of my home. Reason being, Free vs $50 a month does not = FREE!!!
    I would say to North Star and to their reps, Stop lying to customers. Stop trying to scam customer's into becoming customer's. It's better to tell the truth.

As a result of my experience, I will never become a North Star customer. I will research and go with another agency. A second note to North Star. Try a different scam because the one you have now, telling customers if they allow your sign in the yard, you will give it to them for free, get a clue, most agencies already place some kind of sign to notify customers and burglars alike that customer have a system.

And if you decide to continue with your approach, clean it up. If you say free, say what you mean and mean what you say!!!

chebeck Dec 13, 2009

I think is funny how people don't want to be held responsible for what they agreed to when signing a contract. Then they call the company that made the contract a scam, because the company sticks to what they agreed too.

I love my alarm, but then again, I knew what I was signing when I signed it.

Also its different than a cell phone contract, its like buying a car or a home. Most of the time you can't just cancel the contract with the dealership after using the car for a year (if you can then let me know where to find it). It's the same type of agreement you're signing when you get the alarm system.

• La
    LaughingSprite Oct 08, 2009

We just moved into our house and tried to switch the existing contract into our name. They told me they would e-mail a contract, then asked for my bank account information so they could start billing. I told them I would provide that information after I received the contract. Two weeks later I still did not have the contract but they were calling and asking for my bank account information. At this point they are giving all appearances of being scam artists - they want access to our money before a contract is provided. This has been my only experience with this company but so far is it not a good first impression.

Northstar technician Sep 27, 2009

there is always two sides to every story. I am a technician for northstar, i spent about a month in indianapolis installing security systems. i am back home now, in utah, still installing. this has been a very helpful job for me in paying for school. now i know no one likes sales people, however being a salesman can earn you lots of money. i know many salesmen in our company... they are all great guys just trying to get through school, or make a good life for themselves. i am a tech but i have tried selling in good old mormonville, utah to earn extra tuition money(i am 19 and have had three semesters of school, totaling about $7, 000 of tuition money that i have PAYED FOR FROM MY OWN POCKET) so a sell here and there would be nice, however people can be rude as rude gets. PLEASE be kind and courteous when a salesmen comes to your door and please realize it is really not a scam. don't slam the door, it hurts, really. TIP: a good way to say no is telling them you have a credit score of 500 or something, remember to be KIND, and wish them luck. i am sorry to those who have had a bad experience, our customer care is better than MANY companies, alarm or not.

• Ro
    RonJones789 Sep 24, 2009

I had service with them for 1 year. 6 months of it they did not porvide service. Because they said my unit was out of date and could not service that anymore. SO I PAID 6 months for no service. I told them that I wanted to cancel because that is just bad service. They told me that I need to upgrade my equiptment for $300. I have been fighting them now for 2 year because they wanted me to finish the contract. Tonight I get a collections company call... THEY ARE SCAMMING PEOPLE!!! Total BS... RON JONES INDIANAPOLIS