North Point Nissan / they have screwed me for the last time

North Point Nissan in Little Rock, AR is convenient to my home. So I have always taken my Xterra there for servicing since I moved to Little Rock from Conway, AR about 5 years ago.

I bought my Xterra from Superior Nissan in Conway when I lived there and was very happy with their service department there. The employees in their service department seem very professional and honest.

The service department at North Point are just the opposite. I have too many complaints about them to list here, but my biggest complaint is their dishonesty. My latest example: My Xterra recently began stalling. It seemed as if it were running out of gas, so I changed the fuel pump and filter. When that didn't fix it, I checked the fire by grounding a screwdriver to a plug wire and discovered that at times it was not firing.

Not sure what to try next, I had it towed to North Point for a diagnostic and repair. After checking it out, the service manager called me and said that I needed a battery ($135 installed...he tried to convince me that was a good deal because it was less than the 3 batteries he has on his boat), a distributor ($415 for the part and $385 for labour based on $90/hr...roughly 4 hrs) and a timing belt (around $500 installed). I explained that the timing belt had not slipped because at times it would run normally, then it would stall. I guess he thought I was an idiot when it comes to mechanics, because he tried to convince me that it could jump in and out of time. I am not a mechanic, but my dad is and I grew up working on cars, and I do know the basics.

Angry, I paid the diagnostic fee of $90 and had it towed back to my home. A friend of mine works with a guy who is trained as a mechanic and does some work on the side. He came to my house, diagnosed my problem (a bad distributor only) and repaired it in less than an hour (not the 4 hours that North Point suggested.

I paid $275 for the distributor at O'Reilly's and he charged $80 to install ($355 total compared to North Point's total of over $1400 for the battery, distributor and timing belt). The old battery on my Xterra that I was told had shorted out and would not take charge is still on my Xterra and still holding charge just fine.

I can tolerate stupidity more than I can dishonesty, but the service department at North Point are both stupid and dishonest.

As I stated earlier, this is just the latest incident that I have experienced with them. It is also the last. I am now driving to Superior Nissan in Conway for my servicing.

Va

Comments

• Ka
      24th of Oct, 2006
    North Point Nissan - Little Rock, Ar - Still have not received extended warranty money

I sold my car in Jan. of this year and filled out papers to receive what I had left of my extended warranty back. I have called numerous times and talked to several employees even talked to the manager Paul Bush and still have not received a check from them.

• Su
      2nd of Jul, 2008

I can totally understand your frustration. I just recently purchased a 2008 Nissan Versa. I purchased it on June 14th, 2008 and while on vacation on June 25th, 2008 I started having transmission problems. The vehicle only had 873 miles on it when the problems started. We found out that you don't really have roadside assistance on your new vehicle unless you take out the extended warranty. North Little Rock Nissan, which is a part of North Point Nissan, offered no assistance or compensation for our trouble other than a free dinner if we were to travel to North Little Rockwhich is over an hour away. The service manager from North Little Rock Nissan told me he was sorry for all the trouble, but he was unable to help us. He suggested that I contact the Nissan Company.

So as you can guess I too am very dissatisfied with North Little Rock Nissan. Now I'm probably going to be stuck with a brand new car that I have to pay on for five years and worry about it breaking down and not having roadside assistance. This on a brand new car that I had purchased because I thought I wouldn't have any problems.