North American Bancard / Global Services / Year contract turns into three year when try to cancel

I was told that this was a year contract and that I could cancel after a year and that the credit card machine was mine. I have been with this company for 16 months and I just tried to call in to cancel my service with this company and I was told that I have another 20 months on the contract. If I cancelled now, I would have to $500.00 and send back the machine. ($25.00 a month X 20 months). I was told that I could pay $25.00 a month until the contract ends but that I could not accept any credit cards. The funny part is, is that I still have to return the credit card machine that was free. Why do companies think that they have to take advantage of the little person? I got the credit card machine to accept credit cards at the flea market, it didn't work out and know I can not cancel. Is this right? Should a company be that greedy, not to allow somebody to cancel a product or service for a reasonable fee?

Va

Comments

• Ke
      16th of Jul, 2008

Yes this company uses all of the unfair advantages to keep their customers, by not telling them their rights in the beginning. You can sign up with another company and use the new company's machine and just put the American BC one in the drawer as you pay them the $25 per month for the remainder of the contract, or you can pay the fee to reliease you from the contract, the early termination fee.

• Ge
      6th of Aug, 2008

I'm sorry to hear your story, but let me tell you, when it comes to this company, you are not the only one being riped off, they are doing the same thing to me, is funny how they think one is stupid, they told me "yes Sr, you have the right to cancel, just pay the cancellation fee and you are done", but as you found out, the cancellation fee is the number of months remaining on a 36 month contract (that you did not know about) times the same monthly fee that you would pay if you did not cancel, so what they are telling you is: Ok you want out, sure, but first pay the same amount of money that you would pay if you keep the service, except, pay it all at once now!, and return the "free" equipment or else you'll pay (a lot) for it too.
    I hope we can get together and start a law suit against this company, otherwise they will keep ripping off people.

• Ke
      18th of Nov, 2008

Me too - please let me know of any class action. I guess I could change the bank account - has anyone tried that?

• Ki
      15th of Jan, 2009

Dear Merchant,

North American Bancard works very diligently to resolve all customer issues and complaints. Since our inception in 1992, we have worked with over 125, 000 merchants of all sizes and levels of complexity. We provide a high level of service and support to our customers, as is evidenced by the low number of complaints we handle. Occasionally we, like any other large company, may make a mistake or mishandle an issue. When these are brought to our attention we resolve them to the best of our ability. Our 250+ employees work hard every day to make doing business with NAB a pleasure for our merchants and stakeholders, all we ask is the opportunity to recover well.

The Free Terminal Program Agreement clearly states that the equipment is the property of NAB, is being licensed to Merchant, and must be returned in good and working condition within ten days of the termination or expiration of the Merchant Account. If you took advantage of this program, you would be responsible for the return of the equipment back to us and if not returned, would be responsible for the value of the terminal as described on the Merchant Agreement.

In regards to the fees that have been questioned, every Merchant Agreement will clearly list all the fees that may apply to each account. Section 5 Payment and Fees state, “Merchant agrees to pay and Merchant's account(s) will be charged for the discount, fees, and other charges described in this Agreement. Merchant also agrees to pay and Merchant’s account(s) will be debited for all fees, arbitration fees, fines, penalties, etc. charged by the card associations or network organizations on account of Merchant’s processing hereunder.”

Every merchant receives a Welcome Letter that will specify the specifics of one's account such as Monthly Sales Volume and Highest Ticket. In addition, it includes an addition copy of the Terms and Conditions as well as providing a website to view the Terms and Conditions electronically.

Section 13 contained in the Terms and Conditions clearly states, “Any merchant who terminates this agreement prior to it's termination date is responsible for any and all monthly fees assessed under the Agreement for the remainder of the then existing term of the Agreement, including all minimum monthly fee commitments, which in no case shall be less than $295.00.”

Should you have any questions regarding this response, please have your Merchant number ready and contact our Customer Service at 800-226-2273 Ext.1300, so that your specific situation may be properly researched and addressed.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Tippin
    Director of Customer Contacts

• St
      2nd of Apr, 2009

And the worst part is they come here and respond to everyones complaints with a form letter.

haha. what a company.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009
    North American Bancard or nabancard.com is a scam!

Be very cautious if you decide to use North American Bancard to process your small business credit card sales. I somehow ended up with a three year contract, with which I was actually fine with.

I was the victim of a stolen identity/credit card fraud case about two months ago. All my credit cards and bank account numbers were changed. Due to that North American Bancard was unable to process my $10 monthly charge. North American Bancard did not send me one e-mail or letter stating that they were having a problem billing me. They just decided that I cancelled my contract and charged me the $370.00 calcellation fee.

I contacted them and they refused to help or negotiate in any way. You would think if your customer was a victim of identity theft you would figure out some resolution good for both parties. I was not trying to get out of my contract, I just wanted my contract reinstated.

I originally used them to be a vendor at a convention. The $120 in sales I made at the convention also just mysteriously disappeared. So the products i sold at the convention I basically just gave away for free thanks to North American Bancard.

• St
      2nd of Apr, 2009

Oh my company name is "Stone and Bone Trading Company" and my merchant account number is 008788290142873 just so you cannot say:

"Unfortunately enough information was not provided for us to accurately determine your specific Merchant Account. If your account was incorrectly debited, or you believe your fees have been inadequately advised, then we would need specific information in order to properly address the concerns or correct any errors.
    Sincerely,
    Kimberly Tippin
    Director of Customer Contacts"

even though i am sure this is a form letter.

"

• Rh
      30th of Jun, 2009

I also have a bad taste in my mouth with this company. I'm biding my time until we're close enough to the three years to cancel. My company wanted to try taking credit cards but wasn't sure whether it would be cost effective in the long run - I would not have allowed my boss to knowingly sign a three year contract for a trial run. I was present for all of the meetings - in fact, most of the meetings were with me! After discovering we were committed to this company for three years (instead of the one year we thought we had) - I looked back over all of the paperwork. The signed documents have no information about the length of the contract. We received the contract via fax 4 days later (and of course, never read it).

Morals of the story; 1) always read the contract - even if you read the document you signed (you might find them different, like we did); 2) research, research, research - never would have gone with this company if I'd just Googled them first; 3) get real references (not the phony ones the salespeople carry with them).

6th of Jun, 2010

I am currently deciding on just changing all my information so that the company can kiss my @ss... and not get the rest of the money.

The people that solicit, saying this is only a 1 year contract is a bunch of bull. People should have the right to not pay for service that is charging them an arm and a leg for service.

My issue is I signed for a 1 year contract but reviewing the information it doesn't state the information on the duration of the contract, which is wrong. :( of all things I tried to call and cancel my contract they say I will owe them over $600. I am really tempted in just sending them back the unit and saying F-You... Try and get my money. :P anyways what do the other people have to say about this crappy company?

• Sm
      29th of Jan, 2011

North American Bancard is the WORST, MOST DECEPTIVE company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I have had the exact same problems as described above... and then some. Shady sales person never showed me the entire contract, swapped agreements and actually forged my signatures on a phony agreement that included an annual fee; then disappeared. I have been forced into staying with them for a 3 year contract which I was never told about in first place. Throughout the duration of the contract, they have been adding strange surprise fees to my monthly bill for "services" and "regulations" I never agreed to and was never told about. The latest - $9.95 MyBizPerks fee. What the heck is this?! Why is this now on my monthly bill?!!! If you are a NAB customer, check your statement, always!! Calling North American Bancard customer service results in hour-long waits. If you are not their customer - STAY FAR AWAY from North American Bancard! I really, really hope there will be a class action lawsuit against these people.

• Ai
      11th of Feb, 2011

Agreed, agreed, agreed!!!

Deceptive scam artists. I trust African Prince million dollar emails more than these guys. Stay away!!! They will share your most personal information then charge you for scam sites. Mybizperks.com will just start appearing on your bill charging you $11.95.

6th of Apr, 2011

I fell for their trick also. I cancelled the account on Dec 2010. I received a cancellation confirmation and every end of the month they debit fees as if I'm still their customer. I called today and their senior rep says that I have a second account that I have not cancelled and its beyond my 45 day cancellation period. The funny part is when they send me a contract that my salesman gave them, it shows more pages than the copy he gave me. He actually had the nerve to forge my initals on the pages he never showed me that shows a contract. I'm ready to take these guys down if you are. Let's get a big number of their victims and sue and get our moneies back. My number is 315-863-8287

• Ex
      8th of Apr, 2011

They are doing the same thing to my business and my mom's business. The $9.95/month charge for Mybizperks was charged to both of our accounts since last July without our knowledge, finally called them on it yesterday and it took me over 2 hours to cancel the Mybizperks and only be able to get 3 months of the 9 months that they've been charging my account. They even lied to me and told me that they started charging my account since October, even though it was last July! They also charged both of our accounts $99 each for MYPCI fees. I can't believe that they, which is really large amount for something that they should provide anyway with the amount of money they made off the processing. I wished that I hadn't sign up with this company. Only have to deal with them for another 6 months before my contract is over.

8th of Apr, 2011

Hello Everyone,

My phone number is 315-863-8287. Anyone that wants to get together to get our money back, please give me a call and get someone's attention to back us up. Anyone who has expertise on this kind of business malpractice, please help.

• Wa
      26th of Aug, 2011

I don't know why I fell for the stupid 3 year contract deal and didn't read the fine print. I'll never do that again and I'll never do business with NAB after my contract is done. What a joke of a company.

• Ng
      6th of Sep, 2011

I am agree with all above complaints, it is true and be sure to email all your friend about this company .Please let me know how we can start law suit them.

• Ne
      5th of Feb, 2012

They scamed me also!

• Ro
      3rd of Dec, 2013

They need to be taught a tough lesson about deception...The people running this operation need their ### kicked...I will be the
    first in line for a class action lawsuit, which is no doubt coming...

• Ax
      26th of May, 2015

they ###ed me over too!! i own axis power racing. they were suppose to charge me a monthly fee of $5.00 plus percentage of what i ran through the machine. my machine stopped working and i tried to call the numbers on the side of the terminal and couldnt get ahold of anyone???? i saw my account was being charged alot more than the $5.00 and so since i couldnt get ahold of anyone at the numbers provided i put a block on my account. these ###s went around the block by changing their name from na bancard to global payments and ripped me off for another $980.00!!! after i put the block in place no one tried to contact me what so ever to see what was going on they just took it upon themselves to commit fraud. but my bad right i should have just closed that bank account. thats ok when i have to be an ### im perfect at it!!! HEADS UP NA BANCARD/GLOBAL PAYMENTS HERE I COME

• In
      24th of Sep, 2017

Has anyone been able to resolve their termination fee issue for a non contract? I closed a bank account per my bank, they said they legally cannot take the money. North American Bancard sent it to Collections and after 6 years of being done with them and refusing to pay their false termination fee of $295, which has gone up to $664 and I've got a collection from Allen and Associates on my credit report, screwing everything up. I would appreciate any input on anyone having success of getting these predators and leeches out of their life.