National Park Reservations / Misrepresentation

This company represents itself as the national park service and charges a 10%fee for making reservations. This can end up being very costly since a week-long vacation can cost up to $1, 500 0r more, and the fee can then be $150 or more just to make a simple reservation. I could have made my reservations directly with the national park and not been charged any booking fees. When I asked the company representative if they were the national park, they said yes and explained that I had to pay a fee to make my reservation. When I later learned the truth that they were not the park (but a reservation service instead), I called to request a refund of the booking fee. They refused and hung up on me. After several failed attempts to get my money refunded, I have decided to take the matter up with my credit card company. The website looks like an official national park service site and the staff make every attempt to mislead you into believing they are the park service and the only way to make a reservation at the park. I recommend that you avoid this website unless you want to be scammed. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way.

Comments

• Na
      28th of Jun, 2013

Other than for advertising purposes, National Park Reservations, Inc. (NPR) does not appear to be interested in the condition of the properties they represent. Customer satisfaction does not appear to be their priority, even though NPR charges the vacationer 10% of the total reservation fee just to make the reservation. The service I received from NPR could have been satisfactory with minimal effort on their part. From NPR, I rented a vacation home for a week’s stay in June 2013 near Shenandoah National Park. National Parks Reservations is a private company. They are not an authorized concessionaire of any National Park nor are they in any way affiliated with the National Park Service of the Federal Government. They make reservations on behalf of their “customers” around the United States National Parks. NPR is only a middleman between the vacationer and the property owner, like LionCrowCabins.com.

To start with in addition to providing the property address, NPR could improve their service by providing the vacationer with a phone number for the on-site property manager. NPR told me the address they gave me was for the rental office and someone would be there when we arrived. With the help of a GSP, I found the “rental office”; it was a personal residence and the only one there was a big angry dog. After knocking on several other doors in rural mountain Virginia, and stopping a car in the road to ask for assistance, one of the local residents called the property manager to let him know we were looking for him. If I had a phone number, my first impression of the property would have been much more positive.

While the property appeared very nice, it has some construction flaws. For example, in order to turn on the main light in master bed room, a total of three different switches have to be on. It took several days before I figured this out. Light switches are minor compared to flooding. When it rains, and it rains often in Virginia, the property can flood, and it flooded during our stay. After discovering an inch of water throughout the down stairs master bedroom and bath, we called the property manager. “I know what the problem is” were his first words after being told. If the property manager knew the property could flood when it rains, the property should never have been offered for rent until the problem was fixed.

After we got back home, we called NPR to complain about the flooding and our dissatisfaction with their service. NPR said they would investigate our accusations and get back in touch with us. Only the property manager from Lion Crow Cabins called us. No one from NPR has contacted us regarding our stay, despite the fact that we had a contract with them and paid them a fee.

There are many other vacation rental property that are much nicer and much closer to Shenandoah National Park. If you rent from National Park Reservations, Inc. or Lion Crow Cabins, beware; you might be very disappointed.