Michael Jordan Nissan / ripping off customers!

I had a 2002 Nissan Sentra. The engine light went on when I went over 50k miles, which made it impossible to get a state inspection. So I brought it to Michael Jordan Nissan and paid over $350 for a rear O2 sensor. Later I found the part online for $118. The engine light remained on and I was told that I had to drive for 75-150 miles to 'recycle' the ECM.

When I returned, having driven nearly 500 miles with the engine light on the service staff expressed shock as they had recorded the light as off when the 'repair' was completed. I left it at the dealership all day again. Was told that the ECM (emissions monitor) was bad and needed replacement. The part would be ordered and I would have to return to leave it at the dealership for a third day.

Apparently the ECM was broken such that it always reported a bad rear O2 sensor. Coincidentally, of course, the rear O2 sensor was actually bad. Right. Of course, I have no way of knowing if the ECM unit was actually defective either.

Here's the really fun part - while waiting for the first attempt to diagnose an engine light a salesman approached me. I was thinking about a new car so I scheduled a test drive for a used 350Z. After enduring ham-fisted sales techniques with good cheer (e.g 'wow, you drive real good') it was time to find out the price. There was no sticker price and apparently you can't just ask.

We went into an office and the salesman made a 'phone call'. Then he through a fit over how low the price was for a couple of minutes before disclosing the price. The act was so over the top that it was hard to keep a straight face. Also, the price was several thousand over blue book. Everyone else in the region was selling the same car for several thousand under blue book. When I balked he left to bring in the 'sales manager'.

I had to wait over 15 minutes in the deserted dealership office. Then I had to refuse for 45 minutes as the sales manager forcefully demanded that I purchase the car then and there, while the original salesman stood blocking the door. They had the keys to my car, so I was stuck. I had to repeatedly ask for my keys in order to leave. For example, me: 'can I have my keys', salesman: 'sure I go get them' [doesn't move], sales manager: continues forceful demands that I sign documents.

I should have been more angry at the time, but it was comical. However, I am very upset about spending over $350 and two full days, on a $118 part which wasn't actually defective, before just giving up and selling the car, expired inspection and all, to Carmax.

I've learned that the foam casing of the ECM unit is acidic and damages the ECM board after 4 years or so, causing this problem. Nissan issued a recall on the foam, but this didn't prevent Michael Jordan Nissan from ripping me off (the ECM board was still under warranty).

I got tired of driving a car which couldn't pass a state inspection, so I now drive a BMW. Only a fool would do business with Michael Jordan Nissan more than once.

Va

Comments

• Ro
      7th of Jan, 2008

I brought a 2005 Nissan altima, car stop in the middle of the highway, want started until it get ready. Took it to MJ Nissan, service person told me it was a recall, do not worry we will fix it, right - different day same problem, I hate his car every morning I wake up and go outside, I hope its gone.

• Ro
      28th of Feb, 2008

I brought a 2005 nissan altima from Michael Jordan Nissan, this company is the worst- my 2005 nissan stalled, they cannot fix it, now-I have a car thats worse nothing, and car payments, I hate this car, and Michael Jordan nissan, this car is a deathtrap and they cannot find out whats wrong with it, some five star service department. RECALLS for many years to come.

1st of Apr, 2008

GIVE ME A BREAK THESE GUYS HAVE BENT OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP ME AND MY FAMILY. ITS SO SAD THAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU TRASH DEALERS LIKE THIS ONE!!! IF YOU WANT TO REALLY HAVE A GREAT PURCHASE GO THERE DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT GOT PISSED FOR WHAT SOUNDS LIKE NOTHING!!!

1 HAPPY FAMILY

• Se
      16th of Nov, 2008
    Michael Jordan Nissan - Michael Jordan Nissan called the police on me because I didnt buy the vehicle from them
    Micheal Jordan Nissan
    Durham

Micheal Jordan Nissan chargers I and my wife 228.00 dollars to reprogram our keys (THAT WERE GIVEN TO US OTHER DEALERSHIP). We bought the Nissan from a dealer in Apex NC.
    The spare key (after hanging on the wall for 4 years) was needed because the original keys were locked in the car.
    The spare key( given by the dealership) scrambler the computer of the anti theft system.

We were charger 100.00 dollars for the tow!
    98.00 dollars for the diagnostic!
    AND when all and said and the KEY THE NISSAN DEALERSHIP GAVE US WAS THE PROBLEM!!!
    We were charged 49.00 to have our keys reprogrammed!
    With all that, our passenger side mirror cover was tooken off to revival the cars vin code and the cover wasnt PUT BACK!
    But Micheal Jordan Nissan was more the happy to offer the order a new on and have it painted for 150.00 dollars( HOW NICE!!!)

In short the Manager was very rude and even called the police on us after (we said we weren't going to pay for a new mirror cover) it was reviled that the keys were from the dealership in Apex NC.
    Even tho the complaint was our mirror cover was missing!!!

The Ahole dealership Manager was Rick Simonette.
    And his email is RSimonette@MICHEALJORDANISSAN.COM

That piece of crap was very rude and nobody should ever by a Nissan from Micheal Jordan Nissan while he is manager!

• Na
      7th of Oct, 2009

When I read complaints like these, I always wonder why the complaining person doesn't take any responsibility for the problem. It's usually both owners' communication and dealers' negligence that causes bad service. I bought my 2008 Versa from MJ Nissan and have had it serviced there ever since with no problem. The purchase experience was great because I had numbers from internet research and knew what I wanted and why. Also, I walk to McD's or Target or Sam's during my service appointment, and they call me on my cell phone when it's done.

If a salesman starts into go into the "routine" anywhere, I simply stop him immediately and say, "If you don't stop acting and start being genuine in this negotiation, I'll leave right now." And I wouldn't let someone standing in a doorway stop me from going to the service department and demanding my keys.

Passive-aggressive behavior never works in business deals.

12th of Oct, 2009
    Michael Jordan Nissan - Awful experience
    Michael Jordan Nissan
    michaeljordannissan.com

I left a deposit for a new Nissan Altima on July 29th. 2007 i was told that the car I was looking for had to be flat bedded in from a dealer in Ga.and that $275.00 was added to the selling price to reflect this.Then on Tuesday July 31st. late afternoon or early evening I received a call from the salesman there stating that the car in Ga. was no longer available, but he could get a similar one if I wanted with a few less options that he could install at his dealership from a Baltimore/Washington area dealer. I told him I'll get back to him, which I did on the same day about 2 hours later. I told them to please cancel the order at this time and refund my deposit.Please note that agreement states that order is subject to availability, delivery, and for any reason customer can cancel order any time until delivery was made to consumer, and deposit will be refunded. On Weds. Aug.1st. I received a voice mail from this dealer saying no problem which I have saved.

Then on Friday Aug 3rd my wife returned a call to the dealer and was told take your time but I already have the car here that is was driven down from the Baltimore/Washington dealer. The salesman then told my wife that they would not be refunding the deposit.Please note I never ever authorized anyone to drive any car anywhere.

$275.00 was added into selling price so the original car would have no mileage, I canceled order before they ever had the car, and I would never buy a new car that was already driven! All I want is for this dealer to act in a faithful way and refund my deposit like we agreed upon!