Mercedes-benz South Africa / Repairs and servicing

1 South Africa Review updated:

I bought a Mercedes A170 for it's safety features, trustworthiness and ever thing else that goes along with the Merc-name.

MY CAR HAVE BROKEN DOWN FIVE TIMES - LEAVING ME AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD (USUALLY AT NIGHT). IT HAS BEEN TO 3 DIFFERENT DEALERSHIPS, NOT ONE OF WHICH WAS ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

The number of excuses for not wanting to give me roadside assistance are endless and the persons answering the phones at Mercedes-SA useless.

I now drive in fear of when my car will break down again, have to limit the areas I go to and can't make appointments in the fear of me not being able to make them on time.

Mercedes Benz - trustworthy? DEFINITELY NOT!!!

Anyone considering buying a Mercedes should reconsider. Even with my extended motor plan, the service has been nothing more than a great disappointment!

Bs

Comments

• Ha
      20th of May, 2013

I bought a pre-owned GL 320CDI end October 2012, 6 months on my gearbox breaks down and without any answers it costs me R29000.00 to repair. The dealer at New Vaal Motors and Mercedes Benz South Africa both turned their backs and refused to take any responsibility for the defect vehicles they sell to customers. If you think you are buying a safe and reliable luxury vehicle then think twice.
    The labour costs the same as the parts and you will probably spend the same amount on repairs as the amount the vehicle was purchased for. Buying a Mercedes is now probably the biggest disappointment ever.

15th of Dec, 2016

@Haroldewarembo I am planning to take MBSA to the media on a TV station to explain their Customer Service protocol

7th of Nov, 2016

I cannot understand why MBSA has an attitude towards their customers when we have concerns or problems. These vehicles are premium priced which we prefer to have, expecting a customer service backing and knowing that the service compliments the brand but unfortunately, it seems that the individual buyers are ignored as their income depends more on commercial and company purchases. A sad state of affairs.

15th of Dec, 2016

@J Burger I have received the Mercedes backing for the last 15 years but I do not know why they are non customer focused now. There are too few people who actually complains as they feel it is fruitless but I am on a campaign to highlight their recent don't care attitude.

• Bo
      15th of Dec, 2016

I bought my MERC in 2010 and serviced it for 6 years at the same dealership I bought the car. The service reminder for the last service was set outside the duration of the service plan. The dealership had to ask me to pay for the service regardless of the reminder set by them.

15th of Dec, 2016

@Boni_M Totally unacceptable. This is not Mercedes way of doing business but the people who work for Mercedes. Looks like different strokes for different folks. This should be taken up with their top management who these days are almost impossible to get hold of. I received assistance in the past but now they are ignoring my requests, therefore my campaign to bring it to the media

15th of Dec, 2016

The comments of the TV series, Ignition for the Mercedes is on point. Quote: The driving experience can be described as turgid as best. The ride errs on the hard side. And under the stresses of spirited driving, it felt frustratingly disconnected. While we all agreed that it is an attractive machine, the Mercedes-Benz garnered unanimous criticism from our panel. It leaves us more disappointed than outright angry, especially when we consider what the brand once stood for. Can one truly say that the C-Class is engineered like no other?” Exactly how my car performs and MBSA declares that this poor quality is a characteristic of this W205 model which I find unacceptable

• Ct
      21st of Dec, 2016

Sometimes these cars come from out of country- like the United States that have been in floods- catastrophic conditions. prior to purchase ask for the VIN so you can check about info about the car's history.
    And see if it has a clean title. even change your country origin- just to see.

• Ct
      21st of Dec, 2016

Also in doubt about your Vehicle take it to the Actually Dealer Mercedes they can usually tell you what's up.

28th of Jun, 2018

@ctp2236 according to my experience, Mercedes mechanics are FITTERS, not true mechanics. They will throw new parts at the problem, at your expense, until the problem disappears. "The best or nothing"? my f@cn arse

• Dr
      15th of Feb, 2017

HI
    I own a C180 ND 50494
    VIN WDD 2040312R303483
    This car has been to NMI Old Forte Rd 7 times in the last year for the same problem.
    It went in on27122016 and they took like 6 weeks to supposedly fix for good.
    DID EXACTLY SAME THING- NO POWER AND ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT COMES ON
    PLEASE INVESTIGATE- SUBSTANDARD CAR/ SUBSTANDARD SERVICE
    NEVER EVER HAPPENED TO MY BMW'S
    DR R PATHER 0824433350

28th of Jun, 2018

@DR Rajen Pather I own a C350, bought with the clock at 50 000km, had problems with it from day one. service at Culemborg was pathetic, all the problems were just thrown with new parts at my expense until the problem disappears. in the last two years spent R150 00.00 on repairs. The best ? [censored]. Had a Ford and BMW, both better by light years ! will never ever purchase MB again it is the most expensive rubbish I have ever owned

• Zm
      9th of Jan, 2018

I bought Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sports 4Matic in September 2016 from New Vaal Motors in Vereegiging. I have had an engine light problem since the first day I driven the car until today. The car cuts off while driving, every time after I have fil up the petrol tank whether at reserve or not still does the same. It has been a year now and the problem still persists.
    This is very frustrating and embarrassing situation that I have to go through each time I go to the petrol station. I have reported this matter at New Vaal Motors in Vereeniging and they insisted that, there is nothing wrong with the car. I took it back early this year and I was told that, they have re-formatted the software and they hope all should be fine.
    Unfortunately, the car is still the same and I do not know what I should do with it.

@zmudau Buy a Ford, BMW, or KIA, all are better, more reliable vehicles

• Mo
      30th of Jul, 2018

I bought a c250 with a set of 19 inch amg rims. The insanity of the manufacturers not to include a spare wheel is beyond me. i broke down twice with tyre issues. They couldnt help on either occasion. They are so arrogant its not even funny. Theyve got a sleepyhead supervisor in the complaints department. A real deadbeat of an individual who says WELL ITS NOT GOING TO CHANGE ANY TIME SOON. They probably put it down to harsh or poor driving. Problem is i was driving at night and drove over a dug up peace of road and thats when i think it happened. As for the second time, i think i was following some1 and obviously if you are following someone you cannot see the road infront of you. Regardless i drive a half a mollion rand car and i feel the same feeling of insecurity that i felt when i drove my old corolla over a long distance, maybe its worse with the merc. I am so frustrated to have spent so much of money only to end up with an ancient problem such as this one. Mercedes benz you lousy dog who refuses to lose money to satisfy a customer that chose you because they thought you wouldnt miss an important thing like security and reliability not forgetting peace of mind. I mean yes lovely vehicle but an even more brilliant F up

• Ol
      24th of Oct, 2018

The fraud that Motor is. My wife's vehicle is on a motor plan expiring at 100000km. Vehicle currently at 99800km and Mercedes Benz cant service it because according to the vehicle it says "service due in 2500km or 247 days" . Clearly by this time the vehicle will be out of motor plan.

23rd of Nov, 2018

My name is Jacqualine I bought a Merc C220 Bluetech AMG line of 2014 at Cargo Motors Klerksdorp. This is my second report to this web. I noticed that the car has patches at the front bumper and the paint keeps on peeling off. Even the bottom part of it have got holes. I think the car was on a serious accident and I was not informed. I have been complaining to Mr Bekker and Fikile for months now and they never call me back for feedback. We even took the car to the industrial site for inspection for the report. Everytime when I call them they promise to return my call and never did. I am not happy with these and I think that Cargo motors have not treated me well because they have never return my call even once. Contact 0737426061

• He
      11th of Jan, 2019

Since when did you stop informing clients?
    According to Leslie Green, Mercedes Claremont Cape town SA
    You only quote for diagnostics when your vehicle is booked in & not when it is a breakdown.
    Why can't you keep your customers informed in both situations?
    I am not good with surprises especially when the amount has never been discussed & came to R1147.70.
    I find it to be very poor service from this department.
    For me it is just common decency to keep your clients updated all the time.
    I'm looking forward to your response.
    Kind regards
    Rico Combrink
    B200 turbo Mercedes

• Hu
      14th of Jan, 2019

My car has been to Mercurius Tzaneen on the 18th November 2018 for service, from there it started showing THE ORANGE ENGINE LIGHT, I took it there, they called to say it has been fixed, before reaching home the light showed up again.I took the car again last week Monday the 7th January 2019 up to date it is not fixed and I'm immobile, they are saying they can't do anything to help me.What to do in this case?
    MAKUBELA DANIEL