Menards / rebate scam

1 WI, United States Review updated:

Their rebates really are a scam. I don't mind that what they give must be used in Menards. What bugs me is that the rebate must be mailed in usually within a week later, must include the original receipt, you must create and address your own envelope, and then you still need to wait 6-8 weeks. This type of unnecessary overhead demonstrates that they really do not want people collecting on those rebates.

Comments

• Ba
      4th of Mar, 2010

John, I guess you've not done many rebates in your life. There are some out there that are easier than Menards, but many are more difficult.

• Jh
      12th of May, 2017

@baldguy59 Please do not diminish John's complaint. He is spot on. But the problem with Menards rebates using Rebate International goes much deeper and constitutes fraud. I am an example RIGHT NOW of being promised and owed $70.00 that they admitted failed to even get logged into their system, though everything I submitted was corrected. After having to provide proof a second time, I was promised a rebate check would be issued within 3-5 days of April 21st, 2017. I have all email documentation with a Mr. Metza who received my second mailing and promising a check. As of this date, May 12th, no check has been issued according to their tracking information. We have had to literally ride Menards for our last two rebates. From the complaints I have read, there are usually problems with the larger rebate payouts. Most people forget and never followup. I hope someone gets a hungry law firm to file a class action lawsuit. I believe thousands will sign up.

• Aa
      17th of Aug, 2018

@jhwalk63 I agree. I like Menards but I absolutely hate the way that they do rebates! I mean, what an antiquated system!!!

First of all, I have had rebates issued to me that I never received! And now I have to go through all of the time-wasting effort to track this all down as to why. Haven't I done enough by shopping at the store!

I've also lost a few that say they were redeemed. Just this summer our neighborhood has suffered from mailbox robbery. Why would you send cash in the mail??? These rebates are like cash!

Menards needs to change the way they offer rebates or a lot of us will just stop shopping at the store. It's too much of a headache to worry about this day and age.

• Li
      19th of Oct, 2018

@Aarden Totally agree. We recently had a postal worker accused of cashing in on others Menards rebates in the thousands. This is udder bullcrap. I to have sent in and not received my rebates. "Quite large to I may add". We know they boulster prices when the offer rebates to begin with so it is actually cheaper to buy elsewhere at that time. I do think they send them out, really should not take 8 weeks to receive but, it is a shame that we can not even trust the USPS to do the right thing. It's bad enough that we have to support them with our tax dollar only to have the workers steel from us. Yes, the rebate system is broked and need to be secured by identification requirements for cashing or redeeming so no one else can cash them. Just think about how great it would be if Menards just gave the 11% rebate at the time of purchase but they bank on the fact that people will not cash or get the rebate or expire before they get it sent. HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! They nail you coming and going!!

• Ji
      4th of Mar, 2010

John,

I've rebated with Menards for years, and I have always gotten every penny that was coming to me. They make it very easy, even allowing you to send all your rebates in one envelope. They even print special rebate receipts. What more do you want, John? Really!

• Jh
      12th of May, 2017

@jimboo Please do not diminish John's complaint. He is spot on. But the problem with Menards rebates using Rebate International goes much deeper and constitutes fraud. I am an example RIGHT NOW of being promised and owed $70.00 that they admitted failed to even get logged into their system, though everything I submitted was corrected. After having to provide proof a second time, I was promised a rebate check would be issued within 3-5 days of April 21st, 2017. I have all email documentation with a Mr. Metza who received my second mailing and promising a check. As of this date, May 12th, no check has been issued according to their tracking information. We have had to literally ride Menards for our last two rebates. From the complaints I have read, there are usually problems with the larger rebate payouts. Most people forget and never followup. I hope someone gets a hungry law firm to file a class action lawsuit. I believe thousands will sign up

30th of Jan, 2011

jimboo, we don't have the same experience. For me, I have 4 occurence where I mailed my rebates bur they find way to send me pennies on the dollars with no explanation.
    Recently, they offered $4 off a galon of Lucite paint with a limit of 4. I purchased 5 mailed it all, got back $4.
    Today, I just got my 11% off for the first week of this year. Spend more than $1000, mailed two checks of $68 and $84, I got back $8 and $4.
    I was looking for a class action out there to join it.
    This is a REAL scam.

• Vi
      19th of Dec, 2017

@NoToMenardsScam I agree with what you are saying total scam and lies. They kept saying that they have no record of my rebate. Have sent proof (scanned receipt before I sent it). Just checked rebate status (have been doing this for the last 4 months with not record of rebate tracking # or my rebate #). Now it says that they sent the check on 11/8/2017. Haven't received anything from them. I don't care what kind of mail service you use, but none of them take over a month to get from Wisconsin to Michigan. I could have walked there faster than that. I checked out Consumer Affairs and Menards Company are definitely SCAM ARTISTS!

• Rj
      13th of Feb, 2011

after spending over 7000 on kitchen cabinets an countertops i went in with my 11% rebate to buy aircompressor and finish nail gun kit that was on sale I was told I would only be able to apply 50$ of my rebate on a 500 rebate card but they would allow me to pay difference in cash to get sale price and an additional 11% rebate thate I can only spend 50$ at a time so after I spend the 800$ in rebates I have I will Be shopping at Home Depot

3rd of May, 2011

I sent in my rebate forms over a month ago. I haven't gotten the rebate, and it isn't even showing up on the Menard's rebate tracker website. I'm very discouraged - I think Menards just stole $50 from me. I doubt I'm ever going to see the money.

21st of Dec, 2012

I think some of the workers in the rebate are dishonest, I have some from feb. and march I have'nt received yet.

• Sc
      25th of Nov, 2013

Weird jimboo Lives in the same town as Menards Corporate Headquarters & he's the only one defending them...Hmmm. Coincidence? lol

8th of Jan, 2016

I returned an item from 11% rebate receipt and furing my return transaction, the menard's employee stole my rebate receipt at bottom of page!! I didn't notice it at the time and left the store. It was a very long reciept with over 15 items and well over $100. Several days later, I got my receipt in order for mailing and noticed the rebate receipt had been removed. I phoned and was told rebateinternational.com handles rebates now, not Menards. However, rebateinternational requires info printed on rebate receipt but mine had been stolen! No way for me to track my stolen rebate. I reported incident to menards store and menards corporate. That customer service employee is a thief. Also, not to be a victim any further. I decided to return every item I purchased on that receipt, that very day as to not wait for my rebate to be processed and sent to her instead. That store employee will certainly be surprised to see her rebate for about $2. Was it really worth it? Hope she loses her job. Shame when employees steal from employer but to have employees steal from customers... WOW. Outragous! I won't be shopping at menards again. This clerk ruined my opinion of the retailer.

11th of Feb, 2016

Charged just under $1300.00 at Warren, MI Menard's in Oct. 2015, sent in rebate with others of lesser value. Never got the big rebate, Menard's/Rebates International kept giving me the circle spin, referring to other rebates (claiming payment), and never acknowledging the biggest purchase. Once you send in your receipt, they've got you. You can't talk to anyone in authority, just nasty phone jockeys who give you the runaround and an address to write to. You can follow up with letters copies all you want, they just treat you like a tool. Upon investigating it appears they participate in this fraudulent practice for big ticket purchase rebates, passing the "hot potato" between them until you give up and go away.
    That's just what I did, along with my thousands of dollars of business every year for my company. Boycott these fools and spend your money elsewhere where they have integrity and practice honesty!!!

Best Best Advice +8 Votes

Menards / Rebates International engage in deceptive and dishonest practices regarding these rebates. Shop somewhere else!

11th of Feb, 2016

They will send you small ones for, say, $10 or $20, but try sending in one for a $1300 purchase! Then they will kick you back and forth between the geniuses at RI and Menard's Guest Services. Of course you can't actually talk to anyone but a bitter phone jockey, you have to write letters and send receipt copies and waste your time sending and receiving pointless e-mails. Then you suddenly realize they are engaging in dishonest, deceitful and immoral business practices. Who wants to bet a percentage of their pay is determined by how much money they cheat customers out of?!?
    Take your money and shop somewhere where integrity still matters! Boycott Menards!!!

• Da
      4th of Oct, 2018

@Menards Tool My issues with Menards are about the same. Last time I shop at their stores.
    I would rather pay more at Lowe's or Home Depot !!!

• Lo
      15th of Feb, 2016

Not that some of you could be having problems here, but I have been submitting Menards rebates for years and I have NEVER had a problem getting the full rebates, and that has included getting rebate checks of more than $100. They make this about as easy as it gets for rebates, i.e. just pick up the forms, put on a return address sticker and put the forms and the rebate receipts in an envelope and send them to the address listed. As noted, you can send multiple rebates in one envelope so it's very convenient. The forms list the deadline for sending so pay attention to that, and if you're worried, make a copy of the rebate slips printed at the end of the receipt for your records.

• Vi
      19th of Dec, 2017

@LostInMyWoods I really find that doubtful.

• Fa
      12th of May, 2016

Well over the years ive returned probably 100 rebate cards for all various amounts and never a problem till recently. I purchaced a large amout of wood & siding durring there 11% rebate on everything well now the rebate comes back and insted of being almost $130 it was for $45 i took it to menards showed them the original recipe and the rebate and after almost a hr gave me a number for a corperate office and after 2 weeks of calls i finally gave up on it. So the next day i took some of the stuff i didnt usecand returned it for a in store voucher and guess what! The voucher was labeled as unreconizable tender i took it back over to customer service where i just recieved it and they couldnt get it to work either so once again i was given a number to cooperate i called wile standing there at customer service and they said they would check into it and call me back the next day so i said nevermind i want my retured items back and the lady was about in tears it wasnt her fault but there policy is a joke so i ended up calling the police and after another hour they came i explained to them the situation they asked the lady at customer service and she varifyed everything that i said her mgr made himself invisable to the cops i got my returned items back and filed a complaint with my local bbb and consumer fraud division and i was suppose to here from menards again never have now i only buy exactly what i need never no rebate stuff and go to lowes and pay more to avoid a situation like the 1 i had...ive been a huge beleiver in menards for 20+ years till now..there local menards has a bbb rating of half a star out of a 5 star i cant believe they let these menards be run like they are total rip off by cooperate...

• We
      19th of Jul, 2016

I am having this same issue with rebates they only gave me 2 weeks before it is no good, bought an expensive compressor but with the rebate hassles and only 2 weeks to send in is a joke most rebates give you 2 months will be returning for a full refund which hey will try and deduct the 11% off if they do I will file police charges for theft of my money, if they refuse to give people the money after 2 weeks than they have to give a full refund or it is theft. I think there should be a class action lawsuit. Why not just give everyone 11% off at the registers and give the customers a better experience. Looks like I will take all my shopping to Lowes as I get 5% off right away and no stupid rebates to worry about.

14th of Oct, 2016

Will also take my business elsewhere. Have 5 rebates out there, Rebates International asking for original receipts in order to help me. Guess What? They have the originals...Spent too much time on this and that's why I'll go elsewhere. Maybe one day they will be investigated.

• Fr
      26th of Apr, 2017

I've been pimped out of rebates three times. If I shop at Menard's again, it will only be when they don't have rebates. They jack up the prices during rebate week anyway.

• 08
      18th of Dec, 2017

Similar problem. I have filed an Federal Trade Commission Complaint

• Qu
      1st of Jan, 2018

I find it interesting that Menards would disenfranchise itself so far from their loyal fan base, like the 20 year customer above. Another case of a corporation ditching customer service in favor of cutting a few in house jobs like rebate oversight and credit card maintenance service. Menards enticed us in with a rebate offer when we were looking for 3 new garage doors etc. so after jumping through several hoops to qualify for a rebate (237.00) filed early sept 2017, we had not received anything by Jan 1st 2018. I went online to see what up, cause lord knows you can't call anyone, and found out that rebates international supposedly cut us a check in early oct. isn't it surprising that it never hit our mailbox. A reoccurring theme at the BBB. More people should call the cops. It hadn't occurred to me that if you filed for a rebate ( and didn't receive it) and returned something that they would try to extract their 11% from the refund, insult to injury, theft.

• Da
      15th of Apr, 2018

August 2016 we purchased Refig/stove. Sent in the 11% rebate for over $200.,
    with another small one around $11. 7 weeks later we received the $11. rebate voucher.
    Never did receive the one for over $200.
    Febr. 2018 we purchased another refig/stove for a rental. Rebate sent in for $197.
    along with 3 other rebates in same envelope. We received the other 3 vouchers
    6 weeks later. Checked on the rebates website and nothing about the $197. was ever added
    to their system.
    What a scam, the only reason we purchased at Menards was because of the rebate.
    Would have been cheaper at Lowes, where we will go from now on.

7th of May, 2018

Horrible customer service. Poor quality products. Rigid return policy with restocking fees for any online order not just special orders. Shop anywhere else before you go to this store.