Match.com

4.25
Match.com
Singapore
match.com
I had been a member of the site, Match.com for more than 2 years at least. On the 5th of October, i made a payment of a one month subscription and was happily using the site, updating my profiles and pictures. On the 6th of October, I couldn't log in anymore and was advised to contact Customer Care.

Customer Care informed me that I have violated the Terms and Conditions listed on their website and due to the "nature of the violation", they would not communicate with me anymore. All without giving me an explanation and offering a refund. I have since sent emails to follow up to ensure that I get my refund back. Still awaiting their response.

I am outraged as I went through the Terms and Conditions and felt that I have not violated them in anyway. By refusing to provide me an explanation, I am considering that Match.com has terminated my account on an uninformed basis, denying me of my right to paid services. Prior to the termination, I even received emails that my updated profile and pictures were approved. I am especially enraged by their dismissive attitude. I assure you that my profile is perfectly legitimate (no, I didn't solicit in any manner) and honest-t0-boot.
Complaint comments Comments (19) Complaint country Singapore Complaint category Other

Comments

A  14th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
I also had my account terminated without any explanation.
Seems if you disagree with anyone that sends you a message not using bad language or anything. Just having a different opinion the first person making the complaint gets the other terminated, they don't read the message thread and think well so they see it different and move on.
They get a complaint a just terminate without giving the other party a chance to respond. After that the canned message if you want more info you must get a subpoena which means hiring a lawyer, how stupid is that.
You try to guess was it this person or that person and try to explain the message thread and they will not call you or anything, just send the same message that basically say "TO BAD TO SAD, GET A SUBPOENA"
You could be the person in the right but how would you know

"SO REMEMBER IF YOU HAVE ANY EMAIL ON MATCH.COM THAT IS NOT 100% POSITIVE YOU MUCH COMPLAIN ABOUT THE OTHER BEFORE THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT YOU, DON'T GET CAUGHT SAYING, OH WELL I WILL JUST MOVE ON"
A  24th of May, 2014 by    +1 Votes
The same thing happened to me yesterday. I had just created an account earlier this week, and yesterday when it was approved, it was terminated less than 6 hours later due to "violation of our terms". Similarly, I did not solicit or post any offensive content in any way, and I only submitted one profile pic of myself (fully clothed). When I asked them how my account violated any terms, they just replied saying it was in the best interest of their community members that I be terminated. Meanwhile I'm thinking, if they didn't want me on their website, why did they approve me in the first place? I would not recommend Match.com to ANYBODY in the future due to such vague, evasive, dismissive attitudes.
A  8th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
I just had this happen, also. Never mind that there are a lot of angry people on there, who play a lot of games -- both on and offline. And never mind that there are also a LOT of fake/spam/scam accounts on there -- that the company seems to make little to no effort to police or terminate.

Match.com is a terrible company. They don't care about their customers much, if at all. Strictly a cash grab. There's a reason why they've been sued several times.

Maybe we can all start a class-action lawsuit for wrongful termination of our accounts -- and failure to compensate us after said termination.

Dylan Barmmer
A  29th of Jul, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Terminated here as well today July 29th, 2014. Of course, without an explanation. I imagine they do this because they don't want to get into an ethics battle with who's right and wrong depending on how you view "e-mail" banter. I assume mine has to do with an e-mail I received a few days ago from a 44 year old woman, "currently separated", morbidly obese, with children that wrote and said, "men are so weird on this website." Dumbfounded, I told her, do you think it's the men who are weird or the fact that you're older, not even divorced yet, with children, and have given up on your health altogether?

Apparently, when you put delusional people in their place tactfully, they throw a temper tantrum, report you and then you end up being terminated. This time around on the site (I've been on it before in previous years) I only did 3 months. And, in that 3 months time I've reported on hundreds, literally, hundreds of fake/scam profiles. They became sorta my daily ritual sadly as they became so blatantly obvious to see after awhile. I'm honestly considering seeking legal advice in an effort to file a lawsuit. This website needs to be shutdown merely for wasting millions of paying customer's time. Sure, it may work for one person out of every few thousand people, but those few thousand are dumping money into this hog and not getting their end of the deal. Unless, the deal is to be terminated, without a refund, because you stand up for what's right in the face of completely ###s.
A  7th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
I was terminated this last week. The account was paid, profile hidden. It was hidden because I have been dating a woman who sought me out a year ago. We had no communication ON match since the initial emails and we have taken vacations together, intertwined our families in events and she was talking commitment.
In the past 8 months, she would have periods of disappearing, being mysteriously unavailable and "out with friends" and she admitted last week that she had been on match and dating others. I was diagnosed with cancer and having surgery on 7/31. I told her she just needs to be honest and faithful. Her reaction - tell match something that caused my "hidden" and unused profile to be terminated. They would not give me a reason.

I know that she goes by Leila Dorrian, but her real name is Susan Dorrian. Edina, MN. Her ex-husband and his medical practice filed a restraining order against her. Match cares less about a true fraudulent account (hers) and more about an unsubstantiated dispersion from her about a 6 year paying member who has only dated 3 women in all that time and whose account showed no activity at the time they terminated me. Oh, she did this while I was on the surgical table. Class act. Match deserves people like that.
D  23rd of Aug, 2014 by    -1 Votes
Although under the guise of a complaint against Match.com, Rodney N. Sargent's complaint is a dillusional rant against a woman he abused and who left him. This is his MO. The only true statement was the very first sentence of his claim, the rest is fabrication because he was jilted. I never once dated anyone else while we were together. I never had secret rendezvous with "secret Lovers", as is his allegation. In fact, I spent more evenings alone and lonely then when I was single because I was waiting for him. By the end of our nearly one year relationship, he had my heart tattered and left me exhausted and confused. He lied pathologically about everyone and everything.

I had my name legally changed at the end of my divorce. There is nothing fraudulent about that. My "real" name, as Rodney N. Sargent alleges, is my maiden name which I haven't used since taking my ex-husband's name over twenty-two years ago. So, even those basic facts, Rodney N. Sargent is twisting for his gain. He knows the truth, but it doesn't serve his purpose. Speaking of names, his Match.com username of SecureNSincere is bogus. He is not secure. A secure man would never make a public mockery of the woman he "claimed" to love, wanted to marry, and was her soulmate. A sincere man would not begin a relationship with one lie stacked upon another. When I first met him, he claimed that he was ALL but divorced and that all he needed to do is return to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and sign the divorce papers. This man claimed that he had a pre-nup and that it was an unconsummated marriage. He actually led me to believe that in three years he never consummated his relationship with his wife. They had a short-term marriage, a pre-nup, no shared property, no children together, both wanted the divorce and yet; my entire relationship with him, he was still married. He IS still married. The rest of his Match.com is pocked with lies. He went back onto the site when I first broke up with him several months ago and changed him marital status to "divorced" - lie. He states that he has a average body build - lie. He is open to more children - lie. He is politically moderate - lie. He listed all of his recent reads (in one year of dating him, I never saw him read a book) - lie. He implied that he is financially secure - lie. He listed an age range for women he wanted to date as between 30-50 - lie.

The coup de grace was at the end of our relationship. He stated in his profile that he was "divorced" and added a paragraph at the end of his bio indirectly about me: that I was dishonest, unfaithful, cowardly, and a liar. This man claimed in his complaint against Match.com and ME that his profile was hidden, then explain to me how the whole world and I were able to read that? So, although he further claims that he only dated three women, allow me to expound. The first woman and he moved in together for a period of time. She broke up with him. He found another. They dated and she broke up. He went back to the first woman and they got married. He then left Oklahoma City and two days later we met and dated for nearly a year - all the while he is still married. So, really I don't see the virtue in that number.

The last allegation that I will address is the restraining order. First of all, whatever happened in my marriage between my husband and me is our business, and our business alone. I took it to court and the judge dismissed the case. I would no more share the fact that Rodney N. Sargent having had a restraining order placed upon him by his first wife during their divorce and actually had him barred from their gated-community.

The last two days of our relationship was me, as usual, taking care of him. He had surgery and I was there every minute of every day. I took care of him, his dog, his daughter and her husband, picked them up from the airport acted as their personal valet. I bought them a hospital parking pass (which although I made it very clear - never returned, so I ate the $15 deposit.), I loaned them my toolbox and asked them to return it to me and they never did.

After I established NO CONTACT, he sent me a brief text asking me to leave him alone and never contact him or his family. I was more than happy to oblige and I assume he would extend me the same courtesy. Using this public forum to air his dirty laundry and to defame me is NOT leaving me alone. Putting my name and lies about me on the internet is NOT leaving me alone.
D  23rd of Oct, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Defamatory, libelous spam. Headed to court.
A  6th of Jul, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I also had my account terminated without any explanation. Customer Care informed me that I have violated the Terms and Conditions listed on their website and due to the "nature of the violation", they would not communicate with me anymore. I haven't violated anything, but my unhappy ex-girlfriend, who is also on match.com probably made a complaint to prevent me from meeting other women. I'm not at all disappointed because I didn't like match.com very much anyway and was planning to cancel. I used paypal, so I did get a refund. Also, I recently met someone offline. So, all in all it's been a fortuitous combination of circumstances.
A  24th of May, 2016 by    -1 Votes
I created a match account 2 days ago got approved and by the third day I'm blocked from the account so I emailed them and they say I have violated the terms and I would need to get a subpoena to find out why.. Thank goodness I didn't pay... I think match is a scam.
A  14th of Jul, 2016 by    0 Votes
I too was terminated without reason the same day I created my profile, and 48hrs later after I called Customer Care asking why, I received an e-mail stating that I violated their Terms of Use, but they could not tell me how. I posted nothing inappropriate, I had given out no personal information, no profanity or racial slurs, I have no criminal background whatsoever, etc.
Absolutely horrible business practices.
A  22nd of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes
I tried to log into my account this week, which has been unused since 2009. The website displayed a message that said I should contact customer support. I contacted customer support, which requested a bunch of identifying info, and then told me that my account had been terminated for a violation of the Terms of Use, but they wouldn't tell me how, and suggested I get a court order if I wanted to know more. It was as annoying as it was confusing.
N  27th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Oh my God! So, I'm not alone. Match.com also terminated my account this month (May 25, 2017) just barely two days after I created it and charged me a three-month membership fee!. Like everyone else here, Match.com refused to provide any explanation behind the termination. All the pictures I posted are decent and they're all mine. On the first day, I only managed to send one message to another member just to say hi. On the second day I got tons of email notifications for messages from fellow Match.com members, and when I attempted to login, my account had been locked! WTF? Now I don't know if I'll ever get my money back. Also, they save your credit card details and there's a danger that they might continue charging you. This is unfair. What a rubbish website!!! It sounds more like a scam than a legitimate website. Someone should start a class lawsuit against this company. The irony here is that Match.com has been ranked as the number one dating site. This has to change. The public should know.
A  2nd of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Match.com has become a joke. Beth McCollum Pennell had an issue with me. She went to match.com and they terminated my profile after I complained she said she was a virgin after her husband. Upon further review she lied to me and others. I complained and they terminated my profile.
N  2nd of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
Created free account on Match. Did not subscribe with credit card. So did not have ability to message other users. Posted clean pics of myself. Brief bio write up of myself. Nothing strange at all. Just window shopping the site to see what it was like. I was not able to message anybody because free user. 24 hours later i was unable to log in. Password re-set failed. I phoned customer support. They apologized and told me they would investigate. What the hell? Why would I trust them with my credit card now even if they fix my account?
N  28th of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
I had a Match for about 1 year and 1/2 and they blocked my account without any explanation. When you call them their line is that it is a=only "corporate" can handle this and they can't talk about it. Also, they say that you will get an email and of course that has not happened. I'm a teacher and have not done anything inappropriate at all. And as a paying customer, I deserve an explanation especially since they will not let me cancel my subscription . What a scam!
A  31st of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
I created free account on Match. Before subscribing, I thought I'd look around and see what quality of women were on the site. I had no ability to contact or message anybody. I did not post a picture and my profile was what was suggested automatically by Match and then approved by Match.. I would receive my daily 11 matches via email (which mostly didn't match the criteria I had set.) did not have ability to message any other users.I was just checking the site out. A couple of weeks later Ii was unable to log in. I followed the procedure for a Password re-set and never received anything. Then I received a message that my account was blocked and to contact customer care. Te replied that they would investigate, the case was "escalated" and the reply said I had my account terminated. When I asked why, they said that they wouldn't tell me unless I sued them and served them with a subpoena. This is really crazy stuff.
A  13th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
Agreed. I signed up for Match last week and within 24 hours of me signing up and having my profile and picture approved, I received a rather rude email with the subject line "You are no longer a member" and the email stated that my account had been terminated due to a violation of their terms of use. I was offended and horrified. I was literally left wondering what the heck about my profile pic was a "violation of terms". Seriously, I took it kind of hard at first, wondering, "What on earth about my Face could be a violation of the terms of use?? Glad to know I'm not alone. When I called customer service, I was told that they are not allowed to discuss these types of issues over the phone, that my concerns would be escalated and that I would be able to correspond via email with the next level tiered customer support. That turned out to be an email from someone stating they were not allowed to provide me with any further details "due to the nature" of the circumstances and that I would need a subpoena to get more information. How bizarre! Again, I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this but it was still a rather strange and off putting experience nonetheless. I am so not an online dating person and this experience has just further confirmed my skepticism. Thank God I never paid a cent. I would be Livid if I had. I wish you all good luck on getting your money back!
A  14th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
OMG! This is insane! After 3 day on Match.com same thing happened to me. All my pics are legit, no offensive comments, nothing inappropriate, etc. I just got locked out of my account and then I received an email telling me my account has been terminated and they'll be giving me a refund. Not sure about the refund as I have not seen the charge yet. They are bananas! After reading this thread, so anyone can "flag" any account? are you kidding me? they don't investigate first? omg! Can you imagine how many vindictive exes are going to do this now? or how many ppl who did not get a reply back from the person they were contacting would probably do this in retaliation! I got within 24 hours like 50 emails and I'm sorry but I could not reply to everyone right away! LOL!
A  6th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
I signed up too and they approved my profile, I posted a couple of pictures hiking and sitting in a place showing my face, I did not post anything at all except I introduced myself and linked my Facebook to it :( I put myself out there and people sent me emails, winks and next day I try to sign in to subscribe and I get a message saying that I was blocked from match.com. I call their customer service they tell me they do not handle that and I should only email about those issues (weird) then I emailed and they asked me to send a photo screen of the message I got from them when I signed... then 2 days later I get the same response that most of your got, my free subscription is terminated bc I violated their terms of use... can't think of what went wrong, happy I didn't pay bc I read all the terms of use and they are to obligated to refund your money if they terminate your account, also they do not disclose why they terminate you because of privacy rules (even if it is yourself) are you kidding me?! it is crazy, first time I make my move to date online in years and I feel like I put myself out there and no explanation I am banned... feel awful about people that send me messages (sorry to the people that send me messages) and also about my identity since the terms of use says that they can keep your profile even if you are not active (whaaat) is horrible!!! aggravating the situation for me... plain unfair and embarrassing.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree