Martha Stewart Sheets / Strong chemical/gasoline smell

I recently purchased a Martha Stewart flannel sheet set from Macy's, and they smell terrible!! I have washed them five times in hot water, but they still have a strong chemical/gasoline smell.

Va

Comments

• Mi
      20th of Jan, 2008

I bought the Martha Stewart flannel sheets and had problems as well. Whatever the petroleum based smell is, it did something to the seal on my front loader washer. I found a flooded laundry room and the horrible smell. Just received reimbursement from Macy's for the repair bill. It took three empty loads of first vinegar, then bleach to get rid of smell from my washer. Took the sheets back to Macy's. I bought flannel sheets from The Company Store last week and they are =wonderful=. Same price roughly ...and absolutely no smell whatsoever.

• Do
      26th of Jan, 2008

The exact same thing happened to me. I bought a flannel sheet set of Martha's which are LOVELY but the cover which was a separate brand of Martha with a pattern STUNK of oil or something sort of like cat piss just on the seams... I've washed it, aired it, put essential oils on it and it still has a faint smell after 4 washes..

• El
      2nd of Jan, 2009

After sleeping on our Martha Stewart flannel sheets purchased at Macy's I washed them. There was a very strong petroleum smell, like kerosene. I hope we weren't adversely affected by sleeping on these sheets. We have tossed them in the trash. DO NOT BUY THESE SHEETS!!!

• Li
      24th of Jun, 2009

I don't know what they are making our sheets out of these days.. I bought sheets for my daughters twin bed and queen bed at Target. They are Circo Brand.. There was an awful smell in the room after I put the sheets on, so I washed them...twice so far, and they still smell of gasoline/kerosene. Are they making our sheets from Garbage??? I have them in the dryer now with Victoria Secret Dryer Towels. I think the thread on here will get much longer as people purchase these Stinky Sheets! Hopefully they aren't harmful... I hope the smell just goes away ...If they stink after I get them out of the dryer then they are going back. Does anyone know what indeed they are making these sheets with that makes them smell???? Thanks

• Sh
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I was shocked at the horrible oil smell of the sheets. I am washing them now and put bleach in the water, but based on your comments, it will not work. I am going to return them to Macy's. They are horrible. Too bad because I like them otherwise.

• Vi
      1st of Jan, 2012

I purchased a pair of MS standard flannel pillowcases. After four washings in hot water & being sun dried they still
    smell like chemicals and are unusable.

• Po
      24th of Apr, 2013

I bought a Martha Stewart dog bed and it smells like chemicals so strong my dog won't go near it. I smelled it and it reeks of chemical. I aired it out and it is still horrible. It was in my car for a few days and now my cars stinks whenever I open the door to enter in I had to roll the windows down. I see on the internet others have had the same experience with her pet and people products.There is something horrible about the manufacturing of these products.

• Ps
      2nd of Mar, 2018

I bought a Martha Stewart stretch denim jacket that had a horrible chemical smell. Even after several washings including using vinegar and even pine sol I still have a bad smell. Why didnt I have this smell with other brands?