Maronda Homes / Beware of Contract

United States, Florida, Palm Coast Review updated:
Maronda Homes
Palm Coast
A story of caution when dealing with Maronda Homes. In early 2014 we entered into a contract with Maronda Homes to build a new home in Palm Coast FL. We signed the contract, put down a $5, 000 deposit and gave them a loan commitment letter within 10 days. A couple of months went by and construction started on the house.

About a month after construction started disaster struck when my husband lost his job. In fact the company he worked for closed it's doors with no warning. Everyone was unemployed in one day. You can only imagine the devastation this can cause. One day you have a great job and then - wham - that job is gone. In this area jobs such as my husbands are not easy to find.

We knew that we would have to back out of the house so we immediately went to a local Attorney to help us cancel the contract we had signed with Maronda Homes. Our Attorney did a wonderful job and sent Maronda Homes a very detailed letter explaining why we had NO CHOICE but to back out of the purchase of this home. (You can't purchase a $200K home when you've lost the main income in your family). We notified Maronda Homes within a few weeks of the loss of my husbands job as we wanted to be fair to Maronda Homes and give them plenty of time to find someone else that could purchase the home and customize it to their liking.

So here my issue with Maronda Homes. My husband and I went out of our way to give Maronda Homes prompt and full notice of why we had to back out of the purchase of the home so that they could find another party to purchase the home and customize it - which they did. We kept tabs on it and they found a new buyer for the house even before the home was finished. Once closed the house was sold for more money than the price in our contract (seemed that they had a price increase on all their homes during construction which the new purchaser was hit with) so Maronda Homes lost no money on the deal.

In fact they made money because they kept - yes KEPT - OUR ENTIRE $5, 000 DEPOSIT. They would not return even one cent of this deposit, which would have really helped us given that my husband was then unemployed and we hardly had enough money to pay our bills.

Yes the contract does state that Maronda Homes can do this in the event you have to back out after the loan commitment is given by your mortgage holder. So to buyers out there please just be aware that if you sign a contract and have to back out for any reason - including the fact that you have lost your only source of income and can no longer afford the home - you will likely lose your entire deposit. They will not give any of it back even if they sell the house for more money to someone else.

Now I ask you this. Would it kill Maronda Homes to give someone their deposit back - or even a portion of it - in such cases? We didn't back out because we changed our minds or had buyers remorse.
Please just be aware of this when signing a contract with Maronda Homes or, as our Attorney advised, any homebuilder.
Updated by FloridaMother, Mar 12, 2017
Hello K Mal. If you would bother to go back and read the last sentence of my review on my experience with Maronda Homes I put this review in to make sure that people would be aware that if they had to back out of a contract with Maronda, or ANY home builder, they likely will not get their deposit money back. I know all about contracts thank you very much and I still stand by my original statements in this review of Maronda. We told them as soon as possible we could not purchase the house due to my husbands job loss, they found another buyer before the house was finished and sold it for more than we were going to pay for the home. They didn't lose any money in fact they made money, aside from our deposit they kept. Would it have killed them - a huge corporation making lots of money - to have returned some of our deposit? I don't think so. Yes a contract is a contract and by law they had every right to keep every cent and we knew that. However I still feel that it wouldn't have killed them to show a bit of compassion to someone who had just also lost their job with no warning.

If you really are looking for reviews on Maronda Homes (and are not one of their corporate employees up in Jacksonville who saw our story and posted your review to cheer for the lawyers who write these mighty corporate contracts which always favor the builder) there are quite a few reviews on the QUALITY of their homes. By the way most of the reviews I saw on their quality, when I was posting my story to warn others of the contracts, were negative. But that was several years ago and I don't know - or care - if those reviews are still there or not.

Like I said in both my review and again in this post - I told our story as a warning to others before they sign a contract with Maronda or ANY other home builder out there.
Apr 29, 2015

D  11th of Mar, 2017 by
Unfair complaint.

You signed a contract that spelled out the consequences of backing out of the deal, and when you backed out of the deal, you want to change the terms. I get that misfortune was the cause of you backing out, and I agree that it would have been nice for you, if they had returned your deposit, but the precise reason builders ask for a deposit, is to ensure that people don't go around contracting homes to be built and then back out.

Would you have been willing to change the terms of the contract to cover their losses, if the deal had gone the other way, and they had to sell low, or sit on it vacant for a prolonged period of time? You backing out was not their fault, either. A contract is a contract, and while you may feel personal resentment towards them because they didn't lose any money - you voluntarily signed the contract, and Maronda did nothing wrong by upholding the contract - as written, and not as you wish it was written.

I'm looking for valid reviews of this builder, as I consider entering into a contract with them, myself. It is wrong for you to poison the well, with negative reviews of their business practices, when in fact they are doing exactly the same business practices as every other builder, and realtor in the country. Good faith deposits are NON-Refundable. Period. You back out, you lose it. Sorry, but it is what it is, and Maronda did nothing wrong here.
D  23rd of Nov, 2017 by
Just a hit piece. Valid contract with no malice on the part of the builder. Just someone going online to complain as I’m sure she threatened when backing out. Sorry your husband lost his job. That is not the builders fault though...
N  30th of Nov, 2017 by
@Good-Hombre Sorry but you are so very wrong about why I posted this review. This is not a "hit piece". If you would bother to actually read what I wrote I very clearly said in my original post that I was trying to warn any other folks out there looking to enter into a contract with Maronda Homes OR ANY OTHER HOME BUILDER. I told our story as a warning before they sign a contract. I said in my original post - yes I know all about contracts thank you very much. Yes I know that by law they could keep the money. But some people may NOT know this and may actually think that they'd get a little compassion if they found themselves in the same situation we did.

My post - again go back and read it - was meant as a warning to people before entering into a home contract.

By the way - no we did not threaten Maronda when we backed out. We had an Attorney send them a letter explaining why we HAD to back out. No job = no new home.

I just hope you folks who find fault with me warning others not to expect any compassion from ANY home builder never find yourselves in the same situation as we did.