Malaysia Airlines / seat covered in vomit

kuala lumpur, Australia

Dear Malaysian Airlines,
They say you never get a second chance to make a first impression. When last Saturday I sat in an aeroplane seat still coated in human vomit, I must say my first impression was not ideal.
A fairly frequent flyer, I have never before experienced a seat in such a state. Thus, before plonking my posterior down on the flight from KL to Sydney, I did not think to closely investigate whether the place I would be seated for the next nine hours would be covered in revolting, disease carrying, filth.
I did however quickly become aware of the issue, both through a prominent odour and a small moist patch rising from my seat, through to the seat of my pants. When my wife plucked out the seatbelt, the full horror of the situation quickly became evident.
Being the selfless, saintly type of woman my wife is, she pulled out a whole lot of wet wipes and cleaned that spew-spackled safety device as best as she could. Unequipped with more sophisticated cleaning materials, there were however some little micro-chunks which remained in those hard to access nooks and crannies of the buckle.
Upon alerting the steward to the situation, he was clearly not as concerned by it as we were. He simply said it was the fault of the people who cleaned the plane and marched off before we could even hand him the sullied wet wipes. There was no apology. There was no basic concern or kindness. There was no offer to re-seat us somewhere that wasn’t a petri dish for unknown illnesses.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, after being completely healthy throughout my holiday, I came home and was struck down by a virulent bug which caused me to be violently ill in ways no one wishes to hear described. I spent the last week off work and still remain so weak that I can do little more than send disappointed emails from my sickbed.
Whilst I can’t say for certain whether it was the tainted seat which led to my illness, this is a game of speculation no one should have to play. When I pay a substantial sum for a plane ticket I don’t think basic hygiene is too much to ask for.
Some basic good manners from staff also wouldn’t go amiss.
I would really quite like an apology and some sort of assurance you will do better.
Sincerely,