MagicJack / false calling claims

1 West Palm Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

i purchased the magic jack jack and was pleased until i realized a landline calling me in the same area code will be charged long distance unless they have the same prefix as me!! example 321-420 and 321-783 if the numbers after the area code don't match the person calling you pays long distance!! please there are different prefixes withing the same city from house to house. this is not stated in the FAQ. Magicjack states this regarding incoming calls "If your magicJack phone number is in the same area code as your friends and family they are not charged long distance to call your magicJack phone number. If they are in a different area code, they are subject to the rates their phone company would charge for calling the area code your magicJack is registered with."

I did a live chat with magicjack and their solution was "why don't you just call your mom and she will not be charged" are you kidding me, so now i am supposed to call all the people i know everyday to see if they want to speak with me. This is insane and total blatant misrepresentation by this company. I want to get this out and not sure how. This is a first step and they have that damn infomercial. incredible

Su

Comments

• Mj
      24th of Aug, 2008

MagicJack can't determain which call is local or long distance. Your local phone carrier determins it. The message in MagicJack website is misleading. But I learnt long ago before I use MagicJack that always check your local carrier before you call someone within the same area code. To make things worse, in some cases it is not charged as long distance, but reginal call, which is more expensive than long distance.

Before I choose my MJ number, I checked with Verizon to make sure the number I choose is local for me. My MJ number is actually in a different area code from my home number, but VZ tells me it is local. And it is.

• Rc
      18th of Oct, 2010

I have to agree. I found out as well that I couldn't get a prefix that was local for my customers to call me. Since my plan was to use this as a business phone you can imagine that it didn't work out for me. Hopefully I can get a refund and be on to something else. If not I guess I will return here and add some more information on my experience with them. Wish me luck and buyer beware with the rest of Magic Jack... I wonder how long it will be until I get a letter in the mail regarding a class action law suite related to this problem.