MagicJack / terrible phone reception

1 Fremont, CA, United States Review updated:

Don't BUY MAGIC JACK!!! I have now permanently disconnected 2 MJ phones and chucked them into a bottom drawer. Too many complaints from people and business clients I tried to call and talk to. They complained about often hearing a "beep" sound, as if I kept accidentally bumping a button on the keypad of a phone...and I wasn't! They also complained that my voice would cut in and out like the worst cell phone service you've ever experienced. Also, when your phone rings and you pick up the receiver, half the time, you have to fight with the "on" button until you can hear the caller, and until the caller can hear you. Too many times, you will find that your voice is silent and the person that you were talking to starts saying, "hello?...Hello? Where did you go? I can't hear you. Are you still there?" Meanwhile, your frantically checking your phone, your cables, and looking at that little pop-up window wondering WTF?

The sad thing is that the first 2 weeks I had bought the first MJ phone, I didn't hear any of these complaints. Based upon that fact, I got excited and went out and bought a second MJ phone device!! I should've had my head examined. Within about 4 weeks after buying the second phone, all the reception quality of my phone calls went to hell.

I suspect that MJ company has a way of giving first time customers preferential reception quality and separately dedicated transmission lines from their cental computer terminals. Then...once your trial period has expired, they throw your phone numbers back into the 3rd rate service quality of all the other millions of idiots that went before me and bought their MJ phones. It's a bait and switch tactic, and it's a scam! This theory should be investigated.

It's very frustrating that you cannot get anyone to talk to, OR get any kind of reimbursement. So the best I can do for now is to plead with anyone thinking of buyng a Magic Jack phone...DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK!!! Order a land line cable company phone, or even as a last resort, use AT &T if you HAVE to. Anything is better than this garbage technology.

Comments