Liberty Tax Service / charge too much

1 Arbutus, MD, United States Review updated:

Watch your wallet with these guys. I have never used their services before, and was hit with a whopping $362.00 bill simply for doing my State and Federal Taxes, with an additional form needed for itemizing. I had my mother's done at the same time, and they charged her $289.00. This is an 87 senior who could have had her taxes done for free at a Senior Center, though not doing well lately, I had them done for her. Without any warning whatsoever of these ridiculous fees, needless to say, I did not pay their asking price. And, though I called ahead of time to try to get some kind of an idea what they charged, they said they were not allowed to give that information out. I really don't know how they have lasted this long, but you can best believe it will be my last time at this place.

Comments

• Wi
      12th of Oct, 2009

They can't give out a quote over the phone because they really have no idea how much the return will cost to file until it is assembled. The IRS made it illegal to charge based on the amount of your refund or the time it takes to prepare your return, so most big tax preparation companies have set up specific fees associated with each form in the return. More forms means a bigger fee. And of course it costs more to go to a big chain like Liberty, H&R Block, or Jackson Hewitt. When you walk into their office you are paying the employee who does your return, the costumed waver out front, the owner of the office, the programmers who wrote the software they use, their area supervisors, and the corporate office.

• Co
      27th of Oct, 2009

It's like calling up your car mechanic and telling him "My car is broke, how much will you charge me to fix it?".

You didn't like the price they quoted you and so you did not file your taxes with them. How were you harmed? I guarantee you had more on your return than just itemized deductions. Did you check out H&R Block or Jackston Hewitt? They charge more. But again, they looked over what was needed to file your return, quoted you a price, and you did not complete the transaction. I'm not understanding what your complaint is other than all the tax services charge too much. I think the oil change places charge too much so I change my own oil nowadays. You can file your own taxes. Or you can pay someone to do it for you. And you can shop around for the best price, which you've done.

• Co
      10th of Dec, 2009

I don't realize how some uneducated slob at Liberty can charge so much especially for someone who had maybe a couple of weeks worth of training in taxation. People, reputable universities grant master degrees in taxation. You can't barely scratch the surface in a couple of weeks let alone preparing someone else's return. what a sham of a business!!

• Yh
      29th of Jan, 2010

shut the hell up and file your own taxes ya ###in cry baby stop being a lazy pig. if ya dont like the prices then file them yourself