Legalzoom / Shady practices

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I used LegalZoom several years ago to create a will and they seemed OK.
Used them again recently to set up an LLC and noticed a drastic decline in the quality of their services. I had to call recently because my 30-day "free use" of their document library was about to expire and they were going to start charging me for this service, which I never used. The rep kept repeating the sales pitch over and and over again, despite my clear-cut insistence that I was cancelling. They also sold my phone number to Web Com, who've been calling repeatedly to sell me web design services.
In short, beware of overcharging for minimal work, hidden fees, and unwanted sales calls from third parties.

Mp

Comments

• Le
      4th of Jan, 2012

Hi,

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience. It is our policy in Attorney Services to cancel renewals and refund our customers in instances where they were unaware of being enrolled in our Legal Plans. If you are interested in trying the plan to take advantage of all its benefits, including unlimited forms download, please send us an email or call us and we will be more than happy to accommodate another free month of service.

In regards to the Webcom contact, it sounds like you probably opted for a free web design consultation at the time of placing your LLC order. Please rest assured that LegalZoom does not sell any of our customer contact information. Your information was relayed to Webcom per your order details, however if you are not interested in receiving your free web design consultation, please advise the Webcom agent as such.

Please feel free to call or email us with any questions or concerns regarding this or any other matter. You can reach us toll free at 877.818.8787 M-F 6am-6pm PST or email us at advantagesupport@legalzoom.com.

Sincerely,
    Jeremy V.

• Mp
      7th of Jan, 2012

It's nice to get a response, but I have no interest in any further access to your Legal Plans, even if "free, " as I will not use them.
    Similarly, I have no interest in having WebCom design a web site for me, as I have friends who can do this.
    I have to add that I was unaware that I was being enrolled in or asking for these services, which reenforces my feeling that your applications and order forms are designed to generate additional fees for LegalZoom, not to help the consumer.
    Caveat emptor!

• Mp
      11th of Jan, 2012

Also, DO NOT opt for having LegalZoom serve as your Registered Agent as they will charge yo a lot for minimal work (forwarding letters!).
    After some research, I found out that I can be my own Registered Agent, which of course LegalZoom never advised me of.