Lane Furniture / scam and garbage

United States Review updated:
4.1

A few years ago my wife and I spent our tax refund on two recliners from Globe Furniture in Lagrande, Oregon. My wife purchased a Lazy Boy and I purchased a Lane. She tried to talk me into a Lazy Boy because we had previously owned a Lazy Boy handed down to us from some friends, that chair was 20 years old. I wanted the Lane because it was big and fluffy. 6 months after this purchase the Lane’s back broke as well as the rocker. The furniture company (Globe) fixed it and a month later the repairs failed. My wife called Globe who repeatedly told us through their representative that they would repair it, but no one ever showed up to pick up the chair. I contacted Lane and their representative told me they could do nothing for me unless I needed a new rocker assembly and then they would ship that to me, but the actual chair was not covered. Lane refused to take ownership for the poor construction in the chair, and placed the blame on the furniture retailer (Globe).

Frustrated, I decided to take the chair apart and see if I could repair it myself. When I took the chair apart I discovered that the plywood that Lane had used to construct the chair was substandard. We have a plywood mill in our area; my father in-law told me that when a piece of plywood is substandard the mill sells the plywood at a cut rate so that it can cover some of the cost of this error. The plywood is usually used for pig pen dividers and various non structural purposes because this plywood is weak and sub-standard. One of the main reasons for this is that the glue that is supposed to hold the pealed layers together doesn't hold well and therefore the plywood is very pulpy and weak. With this in mind I examined the materials used in the construction of my chair. The plywood was very pulpy and the wooden pins used to hold the chair together didn't hold fast to the pulpy plywood. The pins split away from the plywood as if it had been glued into a piece of balsa wood (the wood used to construct toy airplanes, very light; not very strong).

It was very clear to my eyes and experience in the construction field that my chair was built in a very hurried fashion, and out of sub-standard materials. It is very sad that in this day and age American Made has no value. American companies use to take pride in the construction of consumer products, from automobiles to furniture. However, it is very clear to me that Lane doesn't care about the construction of its product and refuses to stand behind it. I feel this is because Lane knows that their chairs are pieces of Garbage and to stand behind such Garbage would mean sure bankruptcy for their company.

Recently, I explained my story to another furniture retailer telling them that I didn't want a Lane. This company offered me a great deal of money off my next chair to restore my confidence in Lane. I thought about this offer for a moment, and then almost vomited in my mouth. How could I swallow my words and go back to the company that had put me through so much stress and discomfort (the chair was horrible after it was broken, and my wife wasn't giving up her chair)? The mere fact that I had given this offer a second thought disturbed me. A reasonable consumer would count the almost $700.00 (the cost of my Lane recliner) a learning experience and never return to the *** platter. Yet, even though I gave this offer a second thought, I won't be returning to the poo poo platter and anyone else that does, is just asking for trouble.

I have a suggestion for Lane. They need to get the price of their chairs down to what they are worth, (about $49.99) and sell them at Wal-Mart. I'm sure many consumers would be willing to buy them as throw away chairs like camp chairs. Then when they broke the camper could break out the wooden frame inside the chair and use it for kindling.
Va

Comments

4th of Apr, 2009
I bought a lANE RECLINER at the end of September. It was delivered on November 20, 2008.
It is the most uncomfortable piece of crap, I have ever had the misfortune of owning.
I was told by the dealer (Rossi) that it was because I had not sat in it properly. I have a tolal
weight of 110lbs. (soak & wet). I would not buy anything else that is made by LANE and I would
not encourage everyone else .
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I bought a Lane Recliner at the end of September. It was delivered on November 20, 2008.
It is the most uncomfortable piece of crap, I have ever had the Misfortune of owning.
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I lought a Lane Recliner and I will never buy anything else. I would encourage everyone else not to and
maybe lane will wake up and listen to their customers
Re
  13th of Dec, 2009
I paid $900.00 each for a set of leather recliners. Total crap. The arms are broken. They both lean. At 6'3" I cant even put my feet on the floor.
Ki
  26th of Aug, 2013
I'm also disappointed with my Lane recliner. I had the same issue -- the plywood they used was cheap and substandard. The plywood broke and splintered; making the recliner unusable. DEFINITELY A PIECE OF JUNK!
Ha
  6th of Jul, 2015
In 1989 I purchased 2 Lane recliners. They both held up really fantastic .After the 13-14th yr the wooden rockers wore out some and Lane wouldnt back it saying wood parts warranty ran out, so I fixed that myself. After 20 yrs I was so sick of looking at the color and gave them away before looking at new ones. Those Lanes had many 300+lb men in them all the time over thier lives and always worked great. They way outlasted several people I knew brands like Lazy-Boys, Broyhills & several no names exc.. (I didnt know anyone with Flexsteel though).
Well' naturally I went back in 2008 to buy Lanes again, but all I had to do was flip one over and see it wasnt the Lanes I had before besides being all China made then it was greatly degraded to say the least and after reading thier warranty they need to change thier name to "Lame" furniture. Absolute Joke of a warranty, even worse now too, we passed.
So' In 2008 we bought a set of Best Home Furnishings recliners to support USA jobs, they're built here, in Indiana witch is sad to say due to lack of quality.
I was constantly having to re-tighten, re-glue, re-screw the creaky, rickety frames & after 7 yrs one mech colapsed on me. Best Chairs excuse was they no longer make parts for it so the recliners now junk! Too bad too sad, cant warranty & wont replace it. Best is a worthless company to do business with too and wont back its warranties, so buyer beware.
Yesterday we ordered two USA made FlexSteel recliners and all one needs to do is flip a FlexSteel chair over and look how well its built to see its a true winner, it even has a frame! One could just read thier warranty to see they do stand behind "everything" on it. (Except: Lattitude import line) Reviews back Flexsteel up too on thier great warrany coverage.
Sorry so long, but I hope it serves as a warning to buyers who want good quality furniture...Thanks
Warning - Cant just sit in furniture before buying, must flip it over and see whats really inside, how well is it made inside? To learn what to look for visit a highend dealer and ask him what to look for in them. Most are eager to teach but dont ask just one, ask several as one may blow alot of smoke your way to sell a cheap pos...
Mi
  19th of Jul, 2016
bought 2 recliners less than three years ago from vero furniture mart... talked to owner Max Luwing today and showed him pictures... 1) stuffing falling out 2) broken bolt in mechanism 3) faux leather coming off in many areas. all he could say was ONE YEAR WARRANTY!! then said he was not going to talk to me anymore... not only is the chair extremely poor quality but he was extremely rude. lane needs to step up to the plate on this and they need to look a little harder at their retailer partners...
Un
  16th of May, 2017
We bought a sectional with recliners. The upholstery was fake leather and we were told by the salesman (who probably knew these issues all the time) that it will last long. After 6 years of use, the leather is peeling off. We were fooled by the Lane name. I have been trying to get these reupholstered over the last two years. I called Lane furniture, and obviously they say that it has run out of the warranty period. We wanted to buy something that lasts. If I knew that this is the quality of Lane furniture is I would have gone with a less expensive couch and thrown it away when it starts to become unusable. The bottom line - do not buy Lane.

Lane Home Furniture Logo Lane Home Furniture