LA Fitness / wanted $50 for my daughter to work out one day

1 Restaurant RowHouston Katy, TX, United States Review updated:

My daughter came in from out of town. I took her in and told them she was my guest. I was asked if I had a guest pass? I didn't have one. They told me it was going to be a $50 fee. Outrageous! They wouldn't budge! So I cancelled my membership right there. They didn't blink an eye. You can print a 3-7 day pass from online at home, but with out it, it's $50. The lack of customer service was amazing. The manager on duty came up and started his conversation off by telling me how this was nothing to be mad about, how he is from california and people there would never get mad at something like this. He spoke down to me, like I was an idiot. I never raised my voice, just stood firm on how I thought this was absolutely rediculous. Then, when he found out my daughter was a personal trainer and was going to help me, the issue transferred to that. I understand because of liability reasons why they don't want her training me in their gym. But the way this kid talked down to me was uncalled for. At this point, I was pissed! I had 2 other friends there that were members, who had issues with them before. When he found out they would quit, too, he offered to let her work out for free, but we would have to work out separately. I was fine with that, but wanted his name for when I talked to the corporate office. He would only give me his first name, not his last. When I asked for a business card he said they didn't have personal business cards. I asked him to write his name down on a blank one but he wouldn't. I asked him then to write his name down on a message pad. He started to, then leaned over the counter, his arms resting on it, and said to me "lady, I have been through 8 years of college, I don't need this crap!" I told him I raised 5 kids and 6 grand children, I was old enough to be his mother and I didn't appreciate him speaking to me like he was. He wadded up the paper, threw it down, and said "i'm outta here!" I then asked the receptionist for his name, she said she only knew his first name. I said what ever, and she said it was against policy for her to give out that kind of information.

Comments

• Xe
      8th of Aug, 2009

I actually agree with Nonnie

Why didn't you print the pass?

And maybe if you wouldn't have just upped and canceled your membership right then and there they would've been a little more helpful. That's just customer service issues, and the quicker you are to throw down the "cancellation card" the quicker they are to fight back and the less likely you'll be able to get any help. Plus canceling means they really don't have anything to do with you anymore.

The experience does sound like it sucked, I understand that. But I do feel you and them handled it the wrong way.

• Dm
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I agree with cgr3sgal, The manager handle the situation wrong. I've been to alot of gyms and He should have welcomed your daughter for free. The one gym I go to gives out passes for free, You can walk right in and they will give you a free week. The gym is always packed because they treat people with respect .

• Cw
      9th of Sep, 2009

First off, LA fitness lies and cheats people out of their money. Thank goodness these were the only problems you had cjr3sgal. Do a quick google search and you'll see how much worse LA fitness could be! They have a system set up so that they can basically just TKAE your money with no care about you (the customer) what so ever! $50 is ridiculous and they should have never spoken to you like that! Anyone that is backing up LA fitness surely hasn't been there long enough to understand or just hasn't noticed the problems.