KB Home / Refund

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

KB Homes will not give back a refund of our Earnest Money $2000.00. Treated us poorly because we went with an outside lender. My wife and I are both self employed making obtaining a loan approval difficult. We were able to do so and chose KB Homes to make our dream of ownership come to fruition. We placed the deposit and then proceeded with the process of buying our home and then all the problems began. The first problem arose when we chose a cul-de-sac lot which we were told per KB rules it was standard to have the side of our home that was visible on the corner displayed with brick which we had no problem. Also Our Design center upgrades percentage gave us $24k in order to use as upgrades, Well when we got to the Design center and they told us that the brick siding was considered an upgrade even though its a standard design feature for all KB Homes built on a corner lot which ours was in the Cul-De-Sac and would count against us in our design center add ons. This is not stated in their contract at all but cut our design budget significantly down to around 16K and when I questioned it, nobody had an answer for us which I had to wait to speak with a director of Sales Angela Ross who gave a bland answer of " not sure but that's just the way it is ". She offered to allow us to move to a different lot and not charge a transfer fee for the mis-communication and inconvenience. Well I guess that message never got relayed to our sales rep Greg Johnson who said we had to give a check for it up front but would discuss with Angela Ross to confirm. Low and Behold 2 days later it was CASHED with no explanation! When we ask about it Greg played stupid and said he emailed Angela and was awaiting a response but didn't know anything. Angela never gave a reason only said she wasn't sure either of the workings of corporate office and would look into it. Irritated we decided they calmed us down with talk of ownership which allowed us to move forward. We signed our contract 4/11/2016, we went to the design center shortly after for our new lot. Our original contract was signed in March we resigned new agreement after moving lots in April. Between 4/11/2016 and May 26th there had been no correspondence between KB or my lender and ultimately we were unable to obtain loan approval. Which our lender sent a letter stating that 3 weeks ago at the beginning of May. We expected to lose the $1000 transfer that was already stolen from us but was waiting on our $2000 earnest money back. We spoke with Greg Johnson at the beginning explaining this May 11th and his statement again was he was waiting from response from Angela Ross we waited 1 and called then 2 weeks and called and finally today we get a call saying the reason we can't get the refund was because we had past the 30 day which is NO WHERE IN THE CONTRACT DOCUMENTS WE HAVE. Angela Ross said that she would send it to me and has yet to resend that document we are so called missing. They won't answer the phone or respond to text.

Mi
May 24, 2016

Comments

• Mi
      24th of May, 2016

KB flip flops with there contracts to fit there needs and can never give a clear answer

• My
      9th of Mar, 2017

Omg I am gong through the same behaviors from Greg Johnson, the Regional Manager Jennifer Williams, and Construction Manager Bobby Perez. This process has been nothing but a nightmare for my husband and I. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Have you tried reaching out to the Corporate Office in California to see if you could get some type of resolution?

• Mr
      9th of Mar, 2017

@Myss Cryss I am so sorry to hear your having the same trouble but yes we ended up going all the way and after I went review crazy on a bunch of site they ended up giving us back our money and we have since then bought a new home etc. I am a realtor so if you need help in any way please contact me 713-377-0226 Michael Graham II

• El
      17th of May, 2018

I am going through the same issues. We have been dealing with KB in Brookwood In Kingwood/Porter Area.
    We put $7, 000 earnest money. KB is Notorious to not answering any emails or phone calls that don't benefit them. You will notice that they are always in "meetings." We were denied by KB lender and per the contract I should be able to get my earnest back and get out of the contract.
    They told us we should be able to lock in rates and to their benefits they decided to prolong it all the while the interest rates are jumping up everyday changing our payment an additional $60 a month just because the bosses were in VEGAS and couldn't give the OK to lock in rates. And if you go with a different lender you loose your incentives and you get on KB's bad side for not using their lender. They even went as far as telling us to try to find a different lender and they would match the rate and when we did they changed their minds(meanwhile my credit is being pulled and my points are dropping)

KB has caused so much stress in my family that I would WARN anyone not to put themselves through that . We sold our home and now we are stuck in an apartment not knowing the outcome of what is going to happen since I am not even approved with them and I am $7000 out. This is taking such a toll on me my health my finances my children my credit... DO NOT BUY KB do your research.