Johnson Floors Brazilian Oak / Scratching

1 City of Industry, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 626-363-9000

We purchased the Brazilian Oak pre-finished flooring through Beautiful Home Interiors of Jefferson City, Missouri for our new house. This flooring is billed as a premium product and is supposed to be harder than domestic oak hardwood flooring. We had custom installed oak flooring in our previous house which after 14 years of use did not show near the scratches that our new house has after 1 year of use. After going through the list of do's and dont's that the manufacturer lists after we initially complained, we have come to the conclusion that in order to keep these floors from scratching you have to: Walk in stocking feet, not have any pets, not have children and most of all never have company in your home.

In all seriousness, this flooring does not hold up well to any thing resembling normal everyday use. Neither Beautiful Home Interiors nor Johnson Floors are showing any kind of responsiveness to the problem and it looks like we are going to have to dig in for a long battle. We are not giving up though and are seriously looking at forming a class action lawsuit as we are not the only consumers having this problem.

Comments

• Ti
      19th of May, 2009

As a profession in the Hardwood business, who does not even know of this product, I hate to say you are wrong. People do their " homework ' on the internet, and are so confused but can't conclude that. Maybe not your situation, but education here was definitely lacking. Any real professional see's this alot and knows of the limitations very well.

First of all, hardness for a particular species has nothing to do with how it may or may not scratch. That is a finish issue. BUT, like a Black car that shows dents and dust more than say a beige car, you were either mislead and or did not do you own due dilligence. Brazilian Cherry is 1- Dark, 2 Red, and 3- has little to NO grain compared to Oak. Your same complaint is common with Maple for 2 of the same reasons. Oak, with the inherent graining characteristics HIDES alot ! Apples to Oranges comparrison you are making I hate to point out.

The setter may have mislead you, but you dod nit do reasonabkle homework. This is common knowledge and is easily discovered on the web. Harder is not better when it comes to scratches. Color, Texture ( or apparent graining 0 and gloss levels are FAR more important when that characteristic is important.

Sorry to be educating you this late in the game.

Tim

• Ti
      19th of May, 2009

OK... so I am a bad speller ! Used to having spell check on auto pilot.

The good, well kinda of good news, wood floors can almost always be refinished and that should cover up the scratches. But they will come back for all the reasons I spoke of.

Unless there is a finish issue unrelated to the characteristics I spoke of above, that floor does have characteristics far different than Oak.

My second time explaning I hope is better. I know more about woods than I do about writing and I do hate to see consumers hate Hardwoods, a product that I love to work with. There is just something about the living beauty that Hardwoods bring into our living spaces.

Good luck going forward.

Tim

• Ly
      4th of Jul, 2009

Tim, You are talking about Brazilian Cherry and the poster was discussiong Brazilian Oak which are two different wood species.

• Li
      14th of Oct, 2009

I would like to make a complaint about Johnson Hardwood as well... if you have any information about how to do so, can you please forward it to me at lizrlynn@aol.com? We had Johnson Oak flooring installed less than a year ago and it looks TERRIBLE... there are dents all over the floor, both big and small. One birthday party (for a one year old, only maybe 2 or 3 women with heels), and the floor is pretty much ruined at this point. I also called both the store and Johnson and got almost no response.

• Am
      18th of Aug, 2010

what about the Johnson Forevertuff product? Has anyone had any experience with this? I am looking for a HARD hardwood with a tough finish. I have heard about aluminum oxide, titanium oxide, acrylic impregnated. This product uses a 17 step process with a resin material. My head is spinning with all these choices. They all say they are the best. Which one is????? Amy

• Ar
      27th of May, 2012

I've been searching high and lo and can't find any real, actual comparison reviews pitting the forevertuff product against any others. Amy, you are right. Each company says theirs is the best. The lack of comparisons or reviews leads me to think there's an industry wide agreement tying to keep the consumer in the dark. Very difficult searching google - now plagued with advertisements / search results... Going to try using some other search engines hoping to fair better.

• Tm
      20th of Dec, 2016

We have had Johnson ForeverTuff Brazilian Walnet engineered flooring thought tha entire home for three years now. It looks beautiful and our two Sheltie dogs have not scratched the finish even though one is a real runner. However, if ANYTHING drops on the flooring it pops the finish leaving big hazy marks with flicking surface finish.
    Terry Miller
    Baton Rouge, LA 70809

• Wi
      24th of Jul, 2017

We have had hardwood floors for 40 years. In our new house (3 years old) we put in the Walnut Forever Tuff (about 4, 000 sq ft). Worst mistake ever. It was scratched and dented before we moved in. It has only gotten worse. We have no pets, children or hold parties but constantly find new scratches and dents. I has faded even in rooms with blackout drapes and no direct sun. We are currently trying to figure out how to replace it.

7th of Sep, 2017

Currently ripping out one floor of this useless product. We have had hardwood floors for over 40 years. Worst product ever. We started with a walnut color and the color is almost gone after 3 years. There are scratches and dents everywhere. We have no children, pets, and never hold parties. As soon as we replace the first floor, we will be replacing the next floor. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.