Jetstar / obtaining money thru deception (allegedly)

1 Australia Review updated:

I was trying to book a return flight from Cairns to Brisbane with Jetstar thru Best Flights web site and as i got to the last stage of confirmation, after entering my credit card details, i got an error message saying that it had failed and i had to search again. I tried again and got the same message. I rang Best Flights' 24 hour online booking people to make sure that the booking had not gone through twice and that i had not been charged for the flights. I was assured there was no booking for me and should keep trying. I tried again twice and gave up in the end and would try again in the morning.

When i checked my emails in the morning i found an itinary for one flight only to Brisbane (but no return). I was concerned why I had an itinary as i had never got to the completion stage online. I rang the online people again and they said that i had to contact Jetstar to discuss this. When i rang Jetstar they confirmed that the booking had been made 4 times and i had been charged for the 4 flights (one way only) - which i now have to wait 6 weeks for a refund. This is not good at all. I am being penalised for something that was not my fault, and after been told by Best Flights that the bookings had not gone through I cannot believe that this has happened. I still have no return journey either so have to spend even more money booking another flight.

Having phoned Visa to see if I can get my money back it turns out that it will take at least 6 weeks for the process to be done...mmmmm...does that sound familiar...Oh yes...the same time for the refund from Jetstar!! Smells a bit dont it?

Oh, and think about it, if this happens to everyone on line, how much money do they get in their account for 6 weeks??? Just be careful.

Em

Comments

• Cr
      2nd of Aug, 2008

If you booked flights direct with Jetstar and not through some dodgy intermediary like Best Flight, this wouldn't happen.

• Da
      2nd of Aug, 2008

DOnt ever book through BestFLights. Book with the airline themseleves, Jetstar.com!!!

• Gb
      26th of Aug, 2008

No idea how this multiple booking would happen. But it is clearly a system related error that all parties involved no doubt can see when they look into the file. Why then should you have to wait six weeks. Jetstar can and do refund inside 3 days. Let me give you an example if you are going overseas they have a warped interpretation of rules associated with visas / entry and they always require you to have a return ticket to Australia even if you are a permitted resident in the country of destination, They will, as you check in force you to buy return ticket then 3 days later they will refund you. So yes they can do quicker refunds. In the meantime complain to your state fair trading commission as well as the ACCC you may do this by mail and simply add to log of complains against Jetstar in their files. In time some action will take place that stops this dishonest practices like this one. While you are at it copy the letter to your local federal and state member to keep them alert to practices that allow big companies to use your money interest free.
    Consumers are ripped off right left and centre in Australia because they fail to complain vie the proper channels or are reluctant to do so. You are an easy target for abuse by business/ If you have the time too get yourself on talk back radio with your experience as well. Cheers

• De
      13th of Mar, 2009

Not True. Even if one books through Jetstar, it is still the same if not worse. I contacted their customer service & was told the leadtime for a refund was 12 weeks. When it went past the deadline, they say that it can stretch between 12 weeks to a maximum of 6 months.

I agree this is a delaying tactic, think of how much they would have in their account collecting interest. Why a simple refund would take so long especially so when it is the airlines fault for rescheduling the flight except for delaying tactics?

• Ke
      17th of Feb, 2011

I used bestflights for the first time this week, the fare I was looking at was Jetstar jetlight - carry on baggage only, as I wanted checked baggage I rang bestflights and was advised to book the fare then contact jetstar to buy checked luggage at $20-$30. Went to web site after booking and seems to upgrade from carry on to checked baggage you have to ring Jetstar. I have had 4 phone alls to Jetstar and each time I have been told something different, to purchase checked baggage it would cost each member of my party (3 in total) $160 each!!! I was also told if I had phoned within 24 hours of booking it would be half the cost, I was told so many different things I was too scared not to pay for - 5kg excess luggage at $110 each, seems every time I phone am told a different thing. So my bargain flight to New Zealand has become a very expensive exercise. By the way they do try to push the most expensive solution, like upgrade to Jetsaver with checked baggage for an additional $160 each even though the same fare on the net is $120 cheaper at the time!!! The battle continues...