Interval International / Poor service!

1 404 b countyr club driveSimi Valley, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 805 407 0687

Have repeatedly tried over the years to book in Hawaii with interval international. they never have availability... the one time they got me in it was an old condo in a bad part of town.also, they start bugging you for your yearly fee 5 months in advance! I've tried once more and complained... They are terrible. Do not join this service... It's a rip!

Comments

Ri
  14th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have been with Interval for over 1o years and each time it gets worse. The exchange rate has skyrocketed, ther is no availibility, and customer service has been moved abroad and STINKS! They are inflexible. For years I have been giveing my children a week I can't use. Nowit costs $39 becuse they have a different lst name. I am doemn with them!

Ge
  8th of Jun, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

would mlike to have information about complaints from members regards gerard burhenne

Fr
  1st of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

We used a timeshare at Foxhunt Villas in Cashiers, NC. The first thing our check in clerk said was, I hope thats not your motorcycle trailer. It seems they have no parking for trailers. After a couple moves in the icy rain, They left us in a spot. How can you advertise a boat landing and say nothing about limited parking in the add. This was a joke and something needs to be done. There are a large number of bikers now who own timeshares. Fred Dantzler

Sp
  13th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

First of all do you all realize that an exchange is based on other members giving up there units as well. With the economy being in the shape it is people are not traveling very far from there homes. They are not doing the exchanges the way they used to.

II can not make inventory appear that is not being given to them. Hence the Getaway inventory. This is developer space not part of the exchange inventory. It is offered to give the members a chance to travel and stay at resorts not hotel rooms for an affordable price.

Also if members would actually take the time to read their terms and conditions and use the helpful tips that are given the system might actally work better. The other thing is you can actually research the resort that is being offered before you make a 100% commitment to exchange or purchase a getaway. The internet is a wonderful tool and you can then see if the resort is up to the standards you desire.

II can only offer the members what is available and give any advisemnts that are available. It is still up to you to do the research for your vacation.

As far as the costs go... Let us face facts... Everyone had had to increase their rates accross the board. What once was will never be again. The memberships that are being offered to you are created to actually try and save you some money for the long term.

The agents that answer the phones are not magicians but people. A lot of them really do care about the members and will go the extra mile to help where ever they can.

Although I do agree that customer service accross the world has depreciated and things are becoming way too automated. Please try and keep in mind that the agent you speak with might actually really care and want to help you. Also try and be realistic about your expectations on what you think you are owed. Your membership fees at II are not in the thousands as a matter of fact a 10 yr membership is under $1000.00.

Ld
  18th of Mar, 2009

Your smugness and condescending tone is typical of this group of crooks. If the "resorts" I have stayed in were accurately described/pictured on Intervalworld's website, it would have helped a lot! Over the years, I have stayed at several of Interval's exchange resorts that were not as described or pictured on that website. In fact, I would not consider some of these places "resorts" at all! We bought a unit in a building that was still under construction, and we were promised a "5-star" experience. Not even close. We were outright lied to by our sales rep! She told us that we would have half off all flights booked through Orbitz.com for the life of our Interval International membership. That was an outright lie, and when we inquired about this after the purchase, nobody knew what in the heck we were talking about! We were also told that the rooms featured "luxury bedding" (not even close with no mattress pads even), would have "gourmet" kitchens stocked with everything you would need to cook a gourmet meal. Well I wouldn't cook a gourmet meal in chipped Teflon-coated pans and a burnt rubber spatula, but that's just me. The bedding was dirty, and the staff rude and snotty. I'm not sure what these maintenance fees are supposed to cover, but since they increase each year, I'd expect these "resorts" to be in better repair than they are. As far as the exchanges, you are lucky if you get the room you paid for. Just because you confirm and pay for an oceanFRONT (not oceanVIEW) unit does not mean that you actually receive that unit. I have dealt with balcony doors that would not open, leaky sinks, mold, dirty blankets, filthy carpet (my socks were black from walking on it!), NO closets (Boardwalk Inn, Va. Beach), more burnt cooking utensils, bathroom door that would not lock, bugs and rude "concierge" that kept trying to get us to waste another 90 minutes of our day to listen to them try to up-sell our unit. Purchasing a timeshare with these people was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. What a scam.

Se
  28th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I am really unhappy about II. Agree with comment regarding lack of availability. I put my week for exchange a year ahead and was not able to get the request.
I really regret buying two time shares with Marriott because I was told I was going to be able to exchange the weeks and go places, etc, but was never told about how hard it is to do so.

Vi
  14th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I'm sorry the day I purchased a timeshare and the reason we are all complaining here is likely less about II .
IIs has increased the volume of available resorts substantially and I find if you have a Premier/Preferrred property and stick to this standard...you get a fairly decent place to stay. Anything without the Premier/Preffered logo is mostly garbage rat-traps.

I've suspected for some time that II has been withholding Premier property trades to sell. They are also more closely policing the exchange privileges of owners in a hierarchy or priority. You get what you pay for and any of us who bought a timeshare 15-25 years ago for a premium overpaid. Even our Premier same resort weeks are worthless now because its the maintenance fees which now generate the revenue. Anyone still shelling out $100000 and up on a timeshare purchase week has money to burn and ought to find better uses.

Alas...but in the last 2 years of trades.. ...we have only been able to stay a prime II Westin and Marriott properties in Hawaii, the Carribean, and Europe by booking the airfare and waiting until the final 30-60 days for late exchanges to yield a gem. You have less competition under 30-60 days and almost all primo properties come up then. Problem has now become that II won't just dump these on a request and tries to sell them, so you have to be vigilant and work their system to find the deposit.

Its become way too much work to try and exchange a week and the aggravation is what contributes overall to people needing vacation. For a good planner / shopper, you can find better properties than tradeable through II at less annually than your maintenance fees and all the II fees that you encounter for exchange, re-exchanges, etc. DONT buy a timeshare unless you get it for under $200, its Premier, and you can see the annual maintenance ($1200) being something you'd spend on a hotel anyway and want a bit larger room and a chance to haggle with limited options/supply.

Ju
  4th of Jun, 2010

Some facts are getting confused. You don't buy time shares from II, you buy a membership to exchange resorts from them. If someone sold you a time share and misinformed you about II that's on them - not II. The ability to exchange a time share has to do with what is available to trade, but it is also dependent on what you are able to deposit. People who purchased a nicer time share or a highly sought after week are going to get first crack at the highly sought after properties. And yes, if you try to snatch something further out you are going to have better luck than those who try to snatch something last minute.

I bought an II membership because I don't intend on going to the property I purchased. I have had no problems with II. I usually get a bonus week when I deposit my week, because my property is highly sought after. I have had no problems using the bonuses or my actual week. my actual week gives me more options than the bonus week, but nice places are still available with the bonus week. In fact I own a 1 bedroom, and I am always put into 2 bedrooms wherever I go.

One time I had a problem with a resort I booked. It said it had internet access in the rooms. We were looking for this feature because instead of taking an actual vacation we were going to work from home that week - but just do it at the resort instead. We get there to learn that the internet access in only in the lobby and only at select times - which is bad for us. We called II immediately and they got us transfered to another resort in the area that has in-room internet right away - at no cost to us. And this was a 10 p.m.

I never seem to have a problem with anyone I talk to at II. Some are more knowledgable than others - but the same can be said of any place.

Now, I've never tried to go to Hawaii. But, if I pop in my actual week (not my bonus week), Hawaii, Aruba, St. Maarten, Phuket, and other beautiful beach resorts are options.

Ability to exchange is really based on what you own. And the people at II are there to help facilitate your exchange. You really need to do some legwork on your own. They don't do everything for you. When we see an interesting property on II, we always research it ourselves. We go to the resort's own website and find out more info. Many times the resorts website has much more information available then the little snippet on II. We get the phone number to the resort and call up and ask any questions we have. If we don't like what we see or hear, then we cross that resort off.

I think people would complain less about time share exchange if they actually understood how it worked. Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation about the exchange system and some of it is put out there by the high-pressure sales people who will say anything to sell you a time share and get their commission. And no, I don't work for II.

If anyone is considering buying a time share, I would recommend either buying a place you're going to want to go to every year or buying a place that exchanges well. If you're at a high-pressure sales pitch - get your free gift and leave. The presentation we went to was not high-pressure at all. We were treated with respect, from the begining of the presentation. If you are not being treated with respect when someone is trying to sell you something - how are they going to treat you when they already have your money? I have been to timeshare presentations where the sellers were talking down about the guests there, and telling me how I would be entitled to more than the poor saps who already bought. We of course left. And don't take the seller's word that the property exchanges well. Do your own research.

Ju
  4th of Jun, 2010

P.S. If your resort if highly sought after and you want to exchange for a resort that is highly sought after - do not just deposit your week. Do a request first. That gets you more bargaining power to get what you want.

Ba
  21st of Jan, 2011

We have been II members for about 6 years and it keeps getting harder and harder to get an exchange. The last 5 times we haven't been able to. And right now we have a Request that has been pending for almost a year! It is a total nuisance and I am expecting that we will be able to use this system once we retire, because as of now it gets very difficult to coordinate vacations at work with the impossibility to plan in advance due to the lack of available resorts.
Quite frankly, I wish we had never bought a membership.