Intercape

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 by

bad customer service and management.

Cape Town, South Africa
I used Intercape to travel from Pretoria to Bellville. (My ticket number was 0412172106ZY740 Sleepliner) The bus departed at 16:45 (later as it should have left which was at 16:15) which is excusable. But then as I met the person allocated in the seat next to me, he remarked that he is not too happy that there is no seatbelt or food tray on his seat (who checks these things?). I found this unacceptable as there were other seats available - he should not have been allocated to a seat that is clearly not suited for a person who payed a reasonable amount of money. Then we had to watch Kangaroo Jack a few times as the dvd clearly got stuck or something. This is also okey as these things do break from time to time. The next morning there was just no tv/movies playing and no driver/staffmember apologising to his customers. Again this is excusable? Then upon arrival at Bellville just before 2pm (instead of the estimated 12:30) me and about 5 other customers were told that our bags can not be unloaded as they are packed too deep in the trailer. How did this happen? We all have clear tags on our suitcases stating that we are traveling to Bellville? So we had to drive with the bus to Cape Town. This was really inconvenient especially after travelling for 21 hours and the mission of organising a lift back to Bellville. I felt sorry for the other people who were in my shoes too, this cost all of us money that we should not have needed to spend. So upon arrival in Cpt and after collecting our bags, we were told to wait as there will be a bus to take us back to Bellville. Only me and another lady heard this, sadly, as the rest of us already had made plans to get back to Bellville. This was not communicated to all of us, I am sure the rest would also have used this transport back to Bellville. So we waited and waited and waited at the station. I then went to the Intercape Desk at the Station to enquire as to which bus we are to look out for and what time will it arrive? The three staff members sitting there did not really want to look up or help me and rather communicated the information I needed to each other in stead of speaking to me in correct professional fashion as a customer should be treated. Not even to mention that they were not friendly at all. Who manages Customer Service at Intercape??Then I went back outside again to wait for the bus and watched another Intercape staffmember (lady) talking to a customer while having a smoke! Intercape is clearly not what it used to be. A bus stopped, apparently not the one we should be getting on, one of the drivers shirt had holes at the back. The other driver shirt was open and he had to button his shirt in front of us. Again - Intercape this is not professional? What market are you targeting?? At last at 15:30 a bus (another sleepliner) arrived and after explaining the story to the driver who at first did not understand (and could not communicate properly as he was still eating something) and made a joke, I asked him to respect our (me and the other young lady) situation as we are tired and would really like to get home (by now we are half hour away from having travelled 24hours). He told us where to sit and we were on our way. Then a movie was shown called Dog Jack. This movie is about racism in America, the treatment slaves received from their white owners - a boys father being whipped to death and then the boy being hunted by the whites...Why do we need to watch this on a multi racial bus in a new South Africa - where children also travel. Who decides what movies should be shown?? By then I was in tears...extremely tired and truly embaressed as I am caucacian and the lovely lady who made the whole journey with me, now sitting next to me and also tired, is black. Then upon arrival in Bellville (me and her very large suitcases were loaded on the bottom deck with us) I looked the driver in the eye as he opened the door and asked him to help me as its difficult to unload such a heave suitcase down the step. He ignored me and moved on. Another staff member just watched me and said nothing. My dad (who had a back operation) came to help me. Anyway, this is a long sorry letter, I know. And believe it or not, I'm not the type of person to complain. But I have been advertising Intercape to all my friends as a Christian bus company who really offers excellent service and enjoyable journeys, worth paying for a bit more than other bus companies. But I am terribly disappointed about this experience. Intercape, what happened? I look forward to hearing from you.
Complaint comments Comments (0) Complaint country South Africa Complaint category Travel & Vacations

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree