IC System / harassed for erroneous information - fraud alert!!!

1 St. Paul MN, United States

Unbelievable. About a month ago (sometime in may) I received a call from this group. We had just moved into a new leased home (we get transferred often, part of the job) in january in the same town, with all that involves and which includes piles of mail from former tenants. I got used to "glancing and tossing." I have no idea whether or not I tossed two envelopes from ic system. We also get a great deal of junk mail. It may have happened. I had no reason to suspect that anything was amiss. I repeat, I had no reason to suspect that I might any outstanding debt.

Then I got a call on our new home phone number from a slime ball at ic system. Sorry, but that's the only description that fits. He wanted to know why I hadn't responded to their two attempts to bill me for my overdue phone account by mail (I knew I owed at&t nothing, we were paid in full and were using a new phone system at the new house) and how I was going to pay him that day for the $108 I owed to "at&t." say what? I told him I had no intention of paying a "debt" I knew I didn't owe. He got very surly. I can match surly any day with furious indignation. I knew this was bogus. It became my job for the next three or so weeks to prove it. It was just about the most miserable three weeks of my life. These guys are that vile.

Long story short, after a few more calls and sent documentation from them, which only proved that they were calling about a phone number I had never used, never seen and had no idea existed, I noticed that they were not calling from at&t "proper" (at&t backed my insistence that we were paid in full and were fantastic in sending documentation). At&t has a subsidiary called att or 10 att which provides cell phones and net services to low income households. That does not describe our household, let's put it that way. After much searching, detective work, many calls and hours and hours of frustration, I managed to get the real story (in between a few nasty calls from ic system insisting I owed them this money from "at&t," who said they wished all customers paid their bills as promptly as I did). I was a victim of identity theft. Someone got hold of my social security number, probably during the move, perhaps in a large bag of discarded paperwork, who knows? (buy shredders, folks!) I called att, they were exceptionally helpful and we figured out that I was indeed a victim of identity theft and that no less than three numbers had been taken out in my name with my new address using my social security number.

With all the transactions ic systems does, one would think they could recognize this problem fairly quickly, but all they want is a quick payment, no matter if it's a just charge or not. They apparently actually target the "low hanging fruit," i.e. People with good fico scores, which tells me they bilk those unwilling to argue for untold amounts by getting tough on accounts which are in all likelihood fraudulent. Nice company, it sort of lays waste to their commitment to a code of ethics which they boast about in their logo.

I have filed a police report on the false number, I have contacted the ftc on both the fraud and also to file a complaint against ic system for reprehensible business practices. Turns out thousands of others have also reported them. I understand that bill collection agencies are a necessity. I understand that they do an important job. I have dealt with other bill collection agencies on medical bills, which are too confusing to sort out any other way. Never have I received the kind of vicious, disrespectful, harrassing treatment that received from this company. I've read that they are known for telling people not to complain, instead they should pay their bills! Had I listened to that vicious insult, I would have paid a bill that wasn't mine, that had been acquired in my name illegally, and they had no interest in helping me to determine that this was the case.

In my humble opinion, as the saying goes, they should be shut down or at least carefully reviewed for shady business practices and penalized. I will be following up with the ftc on the final resolution of this "account." from reading others who have complained on this site, i'm not the only one who has suffered this same situation from ic system.

A caveat to anyone and everyone who sees their name on an envelope or telephone id.
All may not be as they say, no matter how much they attempt to intimidate you, check out all their claims thoroughly.

Highly disreputable group. Epic fail.

Bi