Hughesnet.com / hughesnet make me feel used and abused!

I made arrangements for this service in August 2006. I was told due to a promotion the 100.00 installation fee would not be required. On August 13, a Sunday, the installer arrived. However, I was charges an addition 125.00 for the installation of a pole as the installer did not want to put the satellite on the roof of my home.

After the installer left, it was noted that the cable from the pole to my home was left on the ground. As I lived in an area with a lot of trees and many many small animals I called to find out about having the line buried. Was told my one person that they did not do that, another person told me the original installer would have to come back and take care of it. When I started having problems with the service it was quite a job to get someone out here to try and correct it. BY this time it was after Labor Day, I was told the installer did not come the previous Friday due to car problems, I guess he was unaware that there are telephones available to cancel appointments. The Monday after labor day, Sept. 11 a new installer came out to check the system, he called and ordered a new modem for my service as the one installed was faulty. I was told the call him when I received the new modem. However, the modem was not sent to me but to someone in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I finally got a hold of him and he sent it to me and the installed care out on Friday the 22 to installed the new modem.

When I got my credit card bill I had been billed $202.38, (I was told it would be 99.99, and they would issue a credit as it was a promotional deal. They did refund 100.00 but left a balance of $102.38.

Then I received a bill from Hughes for $107.39 for service from 8/13/06 to 9/13/06, which I did not have as the system was not working. When I called billing I was told we are always billed in advance, so correct me if I am wrong.

I paid 102.38 in August, you want an additional 107.39 for a total of $209.77, however the young lady I talked with told me that my balance was $33.00 as she gave me a credit of one month and one week, so if you add the two amount together you come up with 242.00, I would be paying for service from 8/13/06 to 9/13/06 with a new bill coming on October 13. Sorry but I just do not understand this.

I was without a computer from 8/13 through 9/22, it worked once in a while but could not received E mail of a daily basis or take care of business. Made too many calls to Hughes trying to correct this mess to no avail. Long distance calls to companies (numbers given to me by Hughes), trying to track service men and the where abouts of the new modem.

Original installed did not leave me any copies of what I signed, have asked on many occasions for a copy but as yet have received nothing. I don't know if this will be answered or not but at this point in time I feel used and abused, and would appreciate any information that could explain this mess to me.

A  29th of Nov, 2006 by
I totally agree. Basically the same thing happened to me, only I made numerous calls starting 1 day after it was installed for them to come get it as it was NOT reliable and didn't work most of the time. By day 6 I started filing disputed with my credit card company. Hughesnet is the worst! I've contacted BBB and have filed complaints on every complaint board I find about these losers. They are scam artists who have it down to a fine art. They keep saying I signed a contract but to this day I've never seen one. I had my dial up put back on within 5 days of getting Hughesnet broadband but can't get them to just dissolve this mess. They want to charge me close to $1400 for NO service.
A  7th of Dec, 2006 by
I've been a HughesNet subscriber for about a year, now. Out of the year I've been a customer, my satellite has worked well about 2 of those months. For the past 3 months, my service works GREAT in the morning. Starting at 11:00 AM, my service gets slower and slower. By 8:00 PM, my download speeds are around 60Kbps (slightly above dial-up). Having the professional service, this is totally unacceptable. 3 months is plenty of time to resolve any tech issues... but they don't seem willing to attack the issue. I can't wait to ditch them...

Best of luck to all of you.
A  22nd of Jan, 2007 by
Hughesnet uses other companies to sell their product. These other companies promise internet access with clearly defined data rates.

So a person purchasing this service pays more or less depending on the data rate one wants. After the service is purchased, the installer gives you account and information access to Hughesnet directly, and you fine out for the first time that there are no data rate promises. In other words there was a promise at purchase time, then after purchase that promise is taken away.

Hughesnet also advertises on TV and Radio. These advertisements clearly state that this service is 25 times dial-up access speed. These advertisements have no disclaimers. Then, after one purchases the service, the data-rate policy changes and one finds out there is no guarantee for any data rate at all. In other words the access could be completely taken away, and Hughesnet will promise nothing in return.
A  9th of Mar, 2007 by
This is silly. I got this as a Christmas gift. I can't even send an email. What am I doing! They won't even get this message. I feel like such an idiot.
N  17th of Mar, 2007 by
I purchased Direcway almost a year ago, which I had no problems. When the uninvited HughesNet took over, all of a sudden the main thing i have my computer for, which is online gaming, all came to a hault. They changed something in the network that causes severe latency. Latency is normal with satellites but not to this extreme. For some reason I checked my signal strength one day and performed the connection test while loading my game at the same time. This actually helped me connect to the gaming server. Any gamers reading this try that out. It doesnt work as well as the old Direcway but dont expect the uninvited to hear my little cry. My theory is that they toggled with the constant transmission b/t satellite and receiver making it not so constant. I cant explain any other way why forcing the device to transmit would help me connect. Thank you HughesNet for making me realize i can spend half the money and get 50 times faster speeds with no LATENCY! Thank you Lord for cable!
A  24th of Mar, 2007 by
I was wondering if anyone posting comments would like to join me in a class action lawsuit that I intend to file against the company. If so please contact me at rgwathney@gmail.com. The lawyers will usually accept these cases with no money out of pocket. You will probably not receive a large amount of money but it will punish the company.
N  4th of Apr, 2007 by
I have been dreaming about getting the Hughesnet Satellite Service, but until I have investigated it further I will continue to dream other than go through the nightmares these individuals have purported to be true.
A  17th of Apr, 2007 by
I ordered directway in dec. last year for my husband's Christmas gift, in jan the next year i called to see why my bill was so high, I was told that it was a 15 mo. contract, OK I will pay, MARCH... my service went to HELL, HELL, HELL... I and my husband have spent hours and hours trying to get this service to run. Between 10am and 5pm, you are just sh*t out of luck. We have been on the phone with the service and advance service people for hours at a time and guess what the next day same problem. I will no longer try to get it fixed with these people i am to wore out, to day it started as usual same time same thing, I would like to ask all others to join in a class action suit against HUGHES.
A  27th of Apr, 2007 by
I had almost the same thing happen to me. It has to be a scam to get an additional amount of $125 from people to have the pole installed for the dish. I also can't wait to ditch this sorry excuse for an internet service. We were limited on our choices for the internet because we live so far out of town and the only others were so swamped with orders that they would not be able to get to us for 3 months. That should have been a red flag to us and we should have waited the 3 months.

Each time that I call, I get someone that has English as a second language and it is hell trying to communicate with them. I am always transferred to the advanced group of tech support and they are always English speaking and sometimes fix the problem after I have spent hours with the incompetents. I have lost whole days sitting on the phone when I call their tech support.

We upgraded, or so we thought to a faster speed and now it is moving slower and we are being billed more money...go figure that one. I HATE HUGHESNET!!! I will tell everyone that I know not to take this service.
A  30th of Apr, 2007 by
I have to agree with the general sentiment here. Hughes sucks the big one out loud. I signed up in Dec 2004. I had no choices for an ISP as my new house was so rural that it was satellite or dialup.

For the first 2 years or so the service was OK. Not great but not butt smackin terrible. After Hughes took over the latency increased significantly, the bandwidth decreased to an average of less than 120K, that is if you could even get the damn thing to lock into the satellite and give you internet access. I am stuck. I have no meaningful alternative at this time. Hell will probably freeze over before cable or DSL landline become available and from everything I read Clearwire is no better in terms of reliability or customer service. Yes indeed. Hughes has me by the short ones with no end in sight.
N  1st of May, 2007 by
I guess I got lucky with my service. I've had it for about 4 years now and no major problems. Runs great. The only time I have had a problem was about a year ago they had to come out and run a new cable. I called on Friday and they were here on Tuesday, ran the new cable and only cost me 60.00.When I got the service hooked up I didn't have to pay any extra cause I already had a pole up for them to put it on. The lady had said they would charge unless I already had one up. Was gonna cost 75.00 to bury the cable and so I told them I would do that myself. About every 3 months I have to unplug the modem for about 10 seconds. About the only time I lose my connection is during real bad storms. After reading some of the stories on here, I guess I got very lucky with my service.
A  15th of May, 2007 by
Same here. My speed has steadily decreased so that now, it is SLOWER than dial-up. It doesn't a rocket scientist to realize that a higher speed for $10 a month is worlds better than a slower speed at $60 a month.
A  15th of May, 2007 by
I picked up a handout at the airmans trade show here at Anchorage last week. After reading these testimonials I have thrown the handout in the fireplace. I will stick with my Clearwire.
A  26th of May, 2007 by
Ugh it's terrible. It SUCKS for games. I get at least a 2500 ping. in everything. terrible latency...

Plus, webpages are terrible, downloads are OK, at 120kbps on occasion... we've been with them almost half a year because it's all that's offered here, they have a monopoly basically, unless you want dial up...

And installation is SO much!

Oh did I mention I have their professional package? And if I were to switch to another satellite company would it even be better?

We had support over here twice (after hours of "have you tried plugging it in"?... I'm not stupid dumbass) each time they had to "readjust the dish". The second time I believe they may have charged for a support pole.

Not only this, but they told us we were getting a perfect connection because we have such a clear sky.

And the ONE thing it is good for is downloading things. It's still about 120kbps, but that's not so bad...
So last night I was thinking "oh I kinda like hughesnet now" because I decided to watch a bit of lost online at nbc's website. Ah, but after about an half hour to an hour...

You get the "fair access policy" that was buried inside an online agreement. They cut off your internet because you download too much. So, currently, my internet is slower than dialup, about 3kbps at tops. YIPEEE. terrible latency AND slower than dial up. And from past experience, this goes on for at least two days.

HughesNet, you suck.
A  5th of Jun, 2007 by
In May 2007, my service was canceled by Hughes.net services. I have satellite internet. I did not ask for this cancellation. My bill is paid and now they want me to pay $700.00 in termination fees to get my service turned back on. I refuse to pay because all I want is my service back on. They want me to pay this and then they say they will return it to my credit card. I have had very poor customer service from them. My cable was also left on above ground and not buried.
A  10th of Jun, 2007 by
The service provided by Hughes net is as bad as I have ever received. They want everything to be on line but they have the most impossible web site in the world. I never received a contract, and when I finally got to talk to a human I was told that my "contract number" was wrong. I still don't know what that is about. I was promised a $ 200.00 rebate on the hardware charges if I jumped thru all their hoops. Like copies of the first three months invoices. That I could only get on-line from their web site. You can guess how that went. My internet speed is really good from 3 am until noon. Then its best to have a waiting plan. I have three months to go on my initial agreement then they are history.
A  21st of Jun, 2007 by
Sorry to hear about you feeling used and abused by Hughes and their internet lockdown system. They have given us "Hughes Related Anxiety." We are so afraid that we will activate the Hughes internet lockdown that we no longer enjoy surfing the internet... it just causes too much anxiety. Yesterday, we were surfing around looking at cars (we're in the market for a new economy car), and every car place has flash movies, and 360 degree panoramas, and videos, and super-high resolution photos, and we keep hitting the red X button to stop things from loading because we are so afraid that Hughes will lock down our internet before we can finish surfing. Hughes internet is painfully slow anyway so when you hit the red X to stop a flash movie download on a website it takes about 1 minute to stop downloading anyway, and you are getting upset with every second that goes by. And at one car sales website there was a live chat window that popped up and someone from the car company started talking to us, and we were desperately trying to shut off their chat because they were eating up our Hughes lockdown limit. Same thing if we see the kids play a game, like at PollyPocket.com. If we see them download too many games or play any internet games for too long we get panicky and make them stop using the computer because we are afraid the Hughes internet lockdown system will shut off our internet. Literally, we are both jumping when we see a flash intro start on any website and we almost collide with the keyboard trying to stop the flash movies from loading. Today I had to download a 5 MB powerpoint for school and I panicked when I saw the size of the file, knowing that to download just 1 of many files I need for school this week, I was using 2.5% of the Hughes lockdown limit. And every time we visit a website now we are trying to estimate how many pages we can view before the Hughes lockdown. We used to listen to Batanga radio on the internet but we have completely quit listening to internet radio because it is guaranteed to activate the Hughes internet lockdown system. I guess we were stupid to get Hughes and we didn't read everything carefully but we didn't know anything about the Hughes internet lockdown system and we had no idea how easy it is to trigger it but the truth is if you use the internet it is really easy to activate the Hughes internet lockdown system. We have friends who listen to internet radio all the time with Comcast while they are using other programs. With Hughes we have to be careful to link to only the lower quality streams and not listen for very long. For example, if you pick the slowest internet radio stream possible, you can listen for about 2 hours and 45 mins you will trigger the Hughes internet lockdown... 20 kb/sec X 60 seconds X 165 mins = 198 MB so be careful if you use internet radio as you will trigger the Hughes internet lockdown really quickly!
N  28th of Jun, 2007 by
Wow! I just emailed with questions to Hughes.net about installation and service. I am currently on dial-up and am now reconsidering satellite internet access after reading the comments/complaints.
This is too bad because with the competition and higher charges you would think Hughes would want SATISFIED customers to refer their service.

Thanks to all for your interesting comments. It has given me reason to "pause" on a change to Hughes.

Sincerely yours,
A  8th of Jul, 2007 by
I work from home doing medical transcription and that is the main reason I got Hughesnet. I have had nothing but problems with this service. I was never told that I had a limited download access to this service and in fact when I got my service I was told that I had unlimited access. I purchased this in October 2006 and really have had problems since then but as of June 2007 I have been getting locked out just about every other day. You call to talk to them about it and you get someone you cannot even understand. I am in the market for another internet server and as soon as I find one Hughesnet can go to ****. I do not care that I have a 2 year contract. I will cancel my bank account if I have to so they will get no more money from me. I am over paying for a service that only works when they want it to. I am also filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with the Attorney General about the lies they have told to get people to use their service.
A  13th of Jul, 2007 by
I also was not aware of the internet fair access policy until my service would suddenly slow down to almost nothing for 24 hours or more. Then i finally called them and they told me. I upgraded to professional plus and i still get the lockdown for 80 dollars per month. Two days in a row os of today i am not getting broadband unlimited like they promised!

ALL THAT MONEY PER MONTH COULD BUY ME A BIG LAWN TRACTOR and not poor service. I want broadband unbound ! like they promised us all. Broadband unlimited hughes says.

Hughes Network Systems Logo Hughes Network Systems